Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

South Ram

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think McClaren and co. have showed their worth in the transfer market with the quality of loan signings they have made. You often need that little bit extra to get out of this league and with FFP and ridiculous wage and fee expectations for top flight players, sometimes the only solution is the loan market. I have no doubt, that if we get promoted under McClaren, that he, Evans and Rush will do some excellent work in the transfer market.

makes me chuckle, aside of Thorne, ALL of McClaren's signings have been modest signings, possibly for less money than the manager before him spent on average.

What are people moaning about? He didn't spend £11m on McCormack, or £5m + on Assombalonga ffs! He's spent pennies and still been competitive.

When @Daveo was losing his **** about people calling others half fans etc, I agreed with him, but I truly think anyone who can be harsh on SM for his signings is not up to the level of 'fan' as he or she should be!

​Dawkins aged 27 - rarely starts

Zak Whitbread (31) - constantly injured

Stephen Warnock (33) - rarely plays and likely to be on a hefty wage

Ryan Shotton (26) - second fiddle to Cloughs defence

Isak Sswenankambo (19) - Was supposedly signed for the first team, never been in the matchday squad and surprise surprise is now injured

Alban Bunjaku (19) - Never been in the matchday squad despite our injuries

Cyrus Christie (22) - Bar a superb August-September gone out of form rapidly and has little confidence

Lee Naylor (35)- Pointless

Raul Albentosa (26) - Seems to be struggling in my opinion. 

Kelle Roos (22) Decent backup I guess

George Thorne (22) - Injured, managed two (?) games this season. 

Ivan Calero (19) - Granted he might be decent in the u21's (so was Lee Holmes), yet to see anything to convince me he'd be a first team regular.

Very poor list of signings IMO, bar Thorne (injury prone) and maybe Roos might turn out a good un'.

​Dawkins aged 27 - rarely starts

Zak Whitbread (31) - constantly injured

Stephen Warnock (33) - rarely plays and likely to be on a hefty wage

Ryan Shotton (26) - second fiddle to Cloughs defence

Isak Sswenankambo (19) - Was supposedly signed for the first team, never been in the matchday squad and surprise surprise is now injured

Alban Bunjaku (19) - Never been in the matchday squad despite our injuries

Cyrus Christie (22) - Bar a superb August-September gone out of form rapidly and has little confidence

Lee Naylor (35)- Pointless

Raul Albentosa (26) - Seems to be struggling in my opinion. 

Kelle Roos (22) Decent backup I guess

George Thorne (22) - Injured, managed two (?) games this season. 

Ivan Calero (19) - Granted he might be decent in the u21's (so was Lee Holmes), yet to see anything to convince me he'd be a first team regular.

Very poor list of signings IMO, bar Thorne (injury prone) and maybe Roos might turn out a good un'.

I challenge anyone to find me a solid permanent signing Mcclarens made since January 2014 and Thorne doesn't count.

​Why do they have to be permanent? don't understand the point in excluding loans. You can't just ignore Bamford, Thorne, Ibe, Bent, Ince 

​Not arguing about money spent, where have I mentioned transfer fees? And pointless signings?  Where have I said they are all pointless signings? Just very average signings if anything. Would you say Simon Dawkins is any better than Johnny Russell? Would you consider Christie better than a John Brayford on his day?

The fact Mcclaren and Evans particularly get plaudits for the recruitment is quite funny, especially considering none of them permanent signings have set the world alight or are much of an improvement to the players inherited from Clough.

Cloughs key signings: Grant, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Forsyth, Ward, Buxton, Keogh, Martin. . How many players has Mcclaren brought in on a permanent contract since January 2014 who have improved the side and a regular in the eleven? And if anything Clough (who I despise) spent next to nothing on those players bar Russell and Keogh, the rest are freebies or from the academy. so you saying the club has spent barely anything maybe true (Bent 20k a week ha!), but Clough did better in the market and used the budget wisely than Mcclaren is currently doing.

REALLY? Are you serious? or are you wumming? Anyway you have a bite! I won't say much more than the following:-

-Connor Sammon

-Chris Maguire

-Dave Martin

-Ben Pringle

-Michael Boulding

-Theo Robinson

-Frank Fielding

-Lee Croft

-Nathan Tyson

-Richard Keogh

-Ben Davies

I wont even mention the loan signings.

Cloughs key signings: Grant, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Forsyth, Ward, Buxton, Keogh, Martin. . How many players has Mcclaren brought in on a permanent contract since January 2014 who have improved the side and a regular in the eleven? And if anything Clough (who I despise) spent next to nothing on those players bar Russell and Keogh, the rest are freebies or from the academy. so you saying the club has spent barely anything maybe true (Bent 20k a week ha!), but Clough did better in the market and used the budget wisely than Mcclaren is currently doing.

​REALLY? Are you serious? or are you wumming? Anyway you have a bite! I won't say much more than the following:-

-Connor Sammon

-Chris Maguire

-Dave Martin

-Ben Pringle

-Michael Boulding

-Theo Robinson

-Frank Fielding

-Lee Croft

-Nathan Tyson

-Richard Keogh

-Ben Davies

I wont even mention the loan signings.

You really don't get my point do you? Let's make it alittle easier for you to understand.

The squad this present day is heavily reliant on players from the Clough era; Martin, Hughes, Bryson and so forth.

what I'm saying (listen closely) is quite straightforward; how many players have been added to that crop of quality listed above have been signed by Mcclaren since January 2014? 

How you can list Keogh in that bunch is laughable, as Mcclaren made him captain since and is undroppable. Yet you defend him and slate Clough for the signing of Keogh! Duh

Well that a bullshit theory for a start.

Mcclaren relies heavily on the players brought in by Clough and hasn't attempted to shift any of the players on and build his own team, totally the opposite infact.

How many players do you often see in the starting eleven whom have been signed by Mcclaren? Christie? maybe Albentosa? The rest are all Cloughs signings and good ones at that (Martin, Grant, Forsyth, Bryson, Russell, Ward...)

Clough didn't have the budget to sign the Darren Bents of this world or hand out 15-20k a week deals left and right.

The side is built from Clough signings, loanees or the odd duff signing made by Mcclaren ie; Naylor, Warnock, Whitbread.

Mcclaren is yet to convince me he'd do well with a warchest. Granted he's done pretty decent in the loan market, but you simply cannot rely on them every single season and especially if you are in the Premiership.

How many loanees did Burnley have in when they got promotion last season? just out of interest.

I wouldn't trust Mcclaren to go out and find another Chris Martin for 5 million, not a chance. 

Well that a bullshit theory for a start.

Mcclaren relies heavily on the players brought in by Clough and hasn't attempted to shift any of the players on and build his own team, totally the opposite infact.

How many players do you often see in the starting eleven whom have been signed by Mcclaren? Christie? maybe Albentosa? The rest are all Cloughs signings and good ones at that (Martin, Grant, Forsyth, Bryson, Russell, Ward...)

Clough didn't have the budget to sign the Darren Bents of this world or hand out 15-20k a week deals left and right.

The side is built from Clough signings, loanees or the odd duff signing made by Mcclaren ie; Naylor, Warnock, Whitbread.

Mcclaren is yet to convince me he'd do well with a warchest. Granted he's done pretty decent in the loan market, but you simply cannot rely on them every single season and especially if you are in the Premiership.

How many loanees did Burnley have in when they got promotion last season? just out of interest.

I wouldn't trust Mcclaren to go out and find another Chris Martin for 5 million, not a chance. 

Well Shotton and Christie are better than Freeman and Smith.

Dawson is better than Ben Davies.

Whitbread is equal to Whitbread (a Clough signing FFS!)

Warnock is better than whoever was back up left back... oh.. hang on.. was there one?

___________ is better than having Connor Sammon on the pitch!

Albentosa is better than O'Connor.

Well Shotton and Christie are better than Freeman and Smith.

Dawson is better than Ben Davies.

Whitbread is equal to Whitbread (a Clough signing FFS!)

Warnock is better than whoever was back up left back... oh.. hang on.. was there one?

___________ is better than having Connor Sammon on the pitch!

Albentosa is better than O'Connor.

​Hardly fair comparisons. I'm with you on what you're saying but hardly fair representation. You should be asking:

Is Christie better than Brayford?

Is Dawkins better than Ward?

Is Albentosa better than Keogh/Barker?

Is Warnock better than Forsyth?

etc...

I'm not suggesting any potential answers to those questions, I'm just saying you're comparing Mac's successes to Clough's failures, which isn't fair. 

Archived