Match Thread - Oxford United (A) - Tuesday 22nd October 2024

Crewton

30 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

When the Oxford goalscorer went off, RD  described him as a young lad learning his trade. A bit like Dajun Brown, then. The only difference being that the Oxford guy actually gets onto the pitch. 

Hardly comparable though as Scarlet has already made 19 appearances in championship and 34 in league one.

Dajaune has played half a season in the National League.

When Collins came on Oxford were on top, with us fighting for a point. Hardly time to give Dajaune a run out. 

10 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

A very reasoned comment Elwood, Remember Blackburn away, We went for it and paid for it, Today shows us that being a little safety conscious can bring points, It's just that bit of quality I said in another post that we need to address, Goals will bring confidence that's for sure 👍

We need to maintain a diet of bread and dripping before we move onto the smoked salmon.🐏 

I dont mean Connor Smoked Salmon 😂

26 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Warne on injuries 

- David Ozoh should hopefully be back with the group this week and he won’t be back this Saturday but should be back for the games after.

- Nyambe out for 4-6 months which is very annoying as I think he’s our best right back. 

Luckily Rooney seems to be working his way close to a 1st team return. 90mins last night I think I read.

32 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

We will be close but I think it depends on we juggle the January window tbh. I feel like we will burn out around march time the way warne likes to play. 

not to mention the championship February wobble 

I am curious as to how you arrive at that conclusion.

There have been 11 games. The majority against strong established sides in this league. 

The results, despite the weighting from having faced those better sides, show us to be a mid table side. So what data set have you used to draw your conclusion ? You suggest “burn out with the way Warne likes to play” yet we didn’t burn out last season  so why should that happen now ? 

Are you some bizarre misinformation bureau ? 

Dear Hintonsboots

Whatho old bean!

I say! What a jolly good commentary on the old Oxford Derby that was!

I’m not an Oxbridge old boy myself old boy but watching 22 blighters kicking the old bladder around for 90 minutes is fun.

I must get old Jeeves to explain that deuced offside rule yet again as I can’t seem to grasp it. Still, neither can those three. Johnies in black what?

May that as it be I for one look forward to more of your shining wit!

Yours and all that.

Steve

2 hours ago, HecMacTod said:

Could someone with a grasp of football coaching and tactics (not the idiot in our dugout) explain to me why Adams is our most advanced midfielder? And if it working why has Yates hardly had a touch. Completely baffled

Why the need for the personal insult after a bad 45 minutes? If you listen to his after match interview, Warne explains perfectly reasonably why Adams played in that position.

19 minutes ago, jono said:

I am curious as to how you arrive at that conclusion.

There have been 11 games. The majority against strong established sides in this league. 

The results, despite the weighting from having faced those better sides, show us to be a mid table side. So what data set have you used to draw your conclusion ? You suggest “burn out with the way Warne likes to play” yet we didn’t burn out last season  so why should that happen now ? 

Are you some bizarre misinformation bureau ? 

The season before last we did. Last season we were on the way to burning out but somehow managed to navigate it but had a kind run it at the end bar Wycombe. Most teams in this division keep the ball and use it better than league 1. We play mainly off the ball which dictates players get tired far more chasing the ball than when they have it. We’ve looked tired and we are only 11 games in and we use the same players in most games with some not even getting a look. We still have a vary aging squad. Just my opinion of course

He did. He said he feared that zenzo.. his signing...would get ', smashed up' by Vault. What a vote of confidence in the player. And if that was Oxfords master plan what was to stop them moving vaults back yo mark zendo. Fair point...and accepted ...about 'idiot,,' but I just happen to think our manager is tactically inept. I am of a declining generationb of fans fortunate and indeed privileged to watch the Clough side and do not accept that our current squad cannot play better football and still stay up. Unfortunately it's in my DNA 

Clearly set up in the first half to try and use Adam’s to nick it in an advanced area and score. Sadly his technique let him down when he did get into good positions.

Oxford looked like they took the foot off the pedal after the goal and were there for the taking if we had a bit more quality.

Have been impressed with CBT. Yes he loses the ball and was a bit petulant today but he is at least trying to make things happen. Their right back would have known he had a game tonight, not sure some of their midfielders would have thought the same

Onwards and upwards

That felt a winnable game, still quite a few issues though. First half was poor.

we don’t play through midfield at all, none of our midfielders get the ball from defence. Osborn had a better game. 

Wilson playing drags us up the pitch, Mendez better. Cbt offering very little.

yates up front alone not working away, rarely gets the ball to hold it up. Trying hard but not too effective. Looks great at home. A bit like the team!

want a win Saturday now

56 minutes ago, HecMacTod said:

He did. He said he feared that zenzo.. his signing...would get ', smashed up' by Vault. What a vote of confidence in the player. And if that was Oxfords master plan what was to stop them moving vaults back yo mark zendo. Fair point...and accepted ...about 'idiot,,' but I just happen to think our manager is tactically inept. I am of a declining generationb of fans fortunate and indeed privileged to watch the Clough side and do not accept that our current squad cannot play better football and still stay up. Unfortunately it's in my DNA 

He recognises the player's strengths and weaknesses, accurately I think. Your comment is absurd, I doubt Kenzo would lose any sleep if heard what Warne had said

6 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

That felt a winnable game, still quite a few issues though. First half was poor.

we don’t play through midfield at all, none of our midfielders get the ball from defence. Osborn had a better game. 

Wilson playing drags us up the pitch, Mendez better. Cbt offering very little.

yates up front alone not working away, rarely gets the ball to hold it up. Trying hard but not too effective. Looks great at home. A bit like the team!

want a win Saturday now

CBT wasn’t great but he did set up gilt-edged chances for both Osborn and Kenzo which they fluffed. He beat his man both on the inside and outside and whilst in general play, he offers very little, when he is given the ball early and to his feet, he’s a potent force.