The 9 Game Reviews

Day

Let’s hear your reviews for the season so far using the questions below as the template for these.

1) How do you feel about the performances from the team in the first 9 games of the season?

2) How happy are are you with the first 9 results?

3) Thoughts on the summer signings so far?

4) Have the first 9 games changed your expectations for this season?

5) With January fast approaching, is there a weakness in the squad that you would like to see addressed in the transfer window?

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or  the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions?

8 minutes ago, Day said:

Let’s hear your reviews for the season so far using the questions below as the template for these.

1) How do you feel about the performances from the team in the first 9 games of the season?

5) With January fast approaching, is there a weakness in the squad that you would like to see addressed in the transfer window?

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or  the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions?

1. Mixed bag but we've played a wide range of teams in terms of ability so not entirely unexpected.

2. I said before the season I'd be happy with mid table, and we are mid table, so no complaints on that front.

3. Summer business has been very good and improved the squad. If Ozoh was still fit we might have had 2-4 more points on the board.

4. The first 9 have convinced me that we've got nothing to fear from this division on the whole. We do not need to adopt an underdog mentality because I reckon we're good enough to not have to think that way.

5. We are still light up front and in defensive midfield. If Yates or Adams gets injured we are a bit buggered.

6. Warne as always is a great communicator and I do think our football is better this season than last so credit to him for that. I just wish he'd once and for all bin off the idea that starting with a back five is a good idea. We almost always look worse when he does it.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta
Typo

14 minutes ago, Day said:

Generally they've been promising. Great at home,  not too disappointing away from home.

7.5 out 10. Pretty happy. At the upper end of where I hoped.

Excellent. 

Kenzo,  Zetterstrom,  Ozoh, Yates all look very good.

Jackson been quieter last few games but still rate him. Harness has flair but not had much chance.

Osborn is the most average.

Yes. We can go at more teams and just surviving doesn't need to be the only target.

Cover for Adams  or Ozoh... bit light in the more dynamic roles in midfield. 

Cover for Yates,  if he's injured I really worry.

For all the mockery of his 'decent blokes' recruitment... its paying off. Lots of really likeable,  hard working,  dedicated,  inspiring players in the squad.

Edited by Chester40

2 hours ago, Day said:

1, The style of play is a great improvement and slightly unexpected. The performances have been steady with the exception ofwhen chasing the game at Blackburn, otherwise we seem to try and keep it safe and taking chances when they come. I think that the team will become more ambitious as the players gel together.

2, I don't think that the results do us justice, we didn't get the rub of the green at Blackburn, we were solid at Sheff Utd and lost to a free kick that wasn't and we were robbed against Norwich. Three games which could have easily been a point or points, putting us around the play off positions. Don't forget our 4 away games have been against the top 4 home teams this season, how unlucky is that?

3, I'm very happy with the summer signings, including CBT, who is now showing signings of becoming an important player in this squad.

4, Our acheivements are matching what I hoped for and exceeding my expectations, atm.

5, A big number 9 would give us a different dimension, especially when chasing a game.

6, Hopefully, they're scouring europe for the big number 9, maybe Jacob or Kenzo know of a player that could fit the bill?

Pretty positive. Finding our feet in the division. Not really been on the end of any thumpings after the opening day, which I'll write of as one of those days.

Happy. We're mid. Would be nice to get something away soon though.

Kenzo and 'Strom are very good signings, over the moon with Ebou and Ohzo, pleased with the rest.

No. Lower mid-tble without seriously worrying about going down is what I'd hope for and looks very much like what we'll get.

Goalscorer. Always the way.

I think they've grown and developed in their time here and generally pleased with how they've handled the step up this year. he might not be my forever manager but he's doing a decent job and should continue to be supported to do it.

4 hours ago, Day said:

1) Really pleased. We've laboured with a lack of superstar quality at times, but the fitness, pace, work ethic, organisation  and willingness to try to play has been wonderful. Easy to talk about building a dressing room togetherness, mentality and all that...but the performances show he's achieving it.

2) Very happy. 20th place was the target for me before kick off. We've been unlucky at times, (Norwich, Watford) and ridden our luck at others (Boro), but on balance 12 points is a solid return.

3) A superb return so far. Can only slightly fault one if them, and he's still got 80% of a season to contribute.

4) No. I'll see where we are at Christmas. Top half would be a stretch IMO. A good Jan though...

5)...striker. I love Yates, but if we could add a little more power and a few goals.

6) Set pieces have been innovative and threatening more often than not. I think some of the silly chat about ex-Rotherham players and recruitment can be put to bed now too.

Very positive, think it’s shown me and a lot of fans what warnes vision and ideology is really about. We move the ball so much quicker and with more intent than the previous two seasons. We look solid at the back still while not decrementing our counter attacks even though we’ve moved up a league. If in January we can bring in a striker or two and maybe another natural full back for when rotation is needed we could have a really strong season. 

At home I couldn’t be happier, obviously if we had got a point or three against Norwich which we deserved it would be an amazing start. At home it’s been a solid 9/10. Away from home we’ve shown glimpses but haven’t been at it but every team we’ve played away have yet to lose a game at home. We should have probably got 1/2 points away but simple fact is we have 0. I do think we will get our first away win in the next 2 games. Away from home I’d give us a 3/10 and overall the first 9 games will be a 7/10. 

All of them have been good, Kenzo, JWZ and Jackson the best so far. Yates just needs that first goal to really kick on. Chirewa showed good signs but has been unlucky with injury. Ozoh was excellent before injury and I’m excited to see him back. Overall though it really was a good window and I can’t complain about anyone who came in. 

The answer is yes, I did expect us to stay up but be scrambling around for points towards the end finishing around 18-21. After watching the first 9 if we can continue like we’ve played I think we will finish 12-17 which is a great first season back to build on. 

Left back and as I previously mentioned a striker. Elder has been good when he played and so has Fozzy but elder seems very injury prone and we can’t rely on Fozzy to play Saturday Tuesday when the games are coming thick and fast. A Striker then for obvious reasons. I’d offload Washington, Barkhuizen and then Rooney on loan to get him up to speed after a horrible year for him. 

Credit where Credits due, he had a lot of doubters last season and coming into this season. He plays a nice mix of modern and old fashioned style football which I think could really help us for the next few seasons as we regain a place in the championship. They get a lot of slagging for signings “good lads” but every footballer I ever hear talk about a dressing room talk about how having 1 or 2 bad eggs will ruin a whole club. They’ve got a squad working hard and playing well for the badge and it’s showing in attendances and performances. 

7 hours ago, Day said:

1) How do you feel about the performances from the team in the first 9 games of the season?

Very promising start to the season.  We’ve competed in all of the games, even Blackburn and Sunderland where had our heaviest defeats.  We are starting to see the style of play Paul Warne has described built on hard work, great team spirit and togetherness.  The two goals yesterday - set piece and winning the ball back with a high press were both from the training ground.

2) How happy are you with the first 9 results?

Considering we have played 6 of the top 9 pretty pleased.  Tests to come with away games against bottom half teams will be another key indicator of progress.

Very positive overall.  Kenzo and Jacob the overseas jewels and Ozho an outstanding loan.  Topped up with some very solid permanent signings and loans.  

Probably as I thought we may be in a scrap towards the bottom 6.  A long way to go but we seem to have enough to finish mid table - this would be a fantastic achievement if we do

Clearly a goal scorer with pace and power would be perfect (far from easy as we’ve already found out!).  We also seem a bit light in midfield with the injuries - Osborn seems to be a tad fragile with past injury issues.

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or  the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions?

I’ve always been positive about Warne as I liked the way he aspired to play and he has always said it as it is - very often his post match thoughts matched our own.   The football last year wasn’t always pretty but the culture transformation was evident.  I believe we are now starting to see the style of football he aspires to - I’m all for it as I find full on possession based football a bit boring 😴 

1) How do you feel about the performances from the team in the first 9 games of the season?

Mixed but mostly positive. There are elements that have nagged in certain gamed around reckless pressing, poor positioning and ball retention. But critically it actually looks like we are working to address it. For the first time under we've seen performances under Warne that have made reasses who I thought he was as a coach and the best performances we've seen under him have likely come this season so far.

2) How happy are are you with the first 9 results?

Given that set of 9 games, I don't think you can grumble at 12 points. 

3) Thoughts on the summer signings so far?

Mostly excellent. Kenzo and JWZ are the type of signings we've needed for an age. Jackson is a solid grafter with good movement. Yates is technically fantastic and I've no doubt he'll score plenty this season. Harness looked a really useful tidy winger but on evidence against QPR might actually be better than if at 10. 

Phillips has looked fine when called upon and I feel more comfortable with him as cover than Bradley. 

The Chirewa signing feels a touch out of place right now to me. And i think unfortunately Osborn has been largely poor. 

The only thing with the signings is it's left the squad a touch disjointed stuck a bit between formations.

Somewhat. I worried how tactically we'd adapt and it looks like we are somewhere between adapting fine and better than that. The signings we've made have  given us quality to hang as well. I'd be a touch disappointed if we slip into really scrapping to avoid the drop as things stand right now.

We need to settle on broadly what is our plan and re-focus around that. For me that's settling on 433/4231. 

Key focuses need to be a DM, a winger and cover striker. If you were to really splash out on a player i think it should be a winger.

I'd also be probably looking to convert Yates to a permanent role and maybe thinking about Harness similarly.

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or  the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions?

They are showing signs of evolving tactically that's really promising to see and we've actually played some excellent football at times. We shall see if it persists.

The major outstanding black mark in my book revolves around i think that far more could be being done for creating a throughline from the academy and better developing academy talent.

Edited by brady1993

22 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

1. Mixed bag but we've played a wide range of teams in terms of ability so not entirely unexpected.

2. I said before the season I'd be happy with mid table, and we are mid table, so no complaints on that front.

3. Summer business has been very good and improved the squad. If Ozoh was still fit we might have had 2-4 more points on the board.

4. The first 9 have convinced me that we've got nothing to fear from this division on the whole. We do not need to adopt an underdog mentality because I reckon we're good enough to not have to think that way.

5. We are still light up front and in defensive midfield. If Yates or Adams gets injured we are a bit buggered.

6. Warne as always is a great communicator and I do think our football is better this season than last so credit to him for that. I just wish he'd once and for all bin off the idea that starting with a back five is a good idea. We almost always look worse when he does it.

My sentiments exactly. 🍻

I have had particular pleasure seeing us have a midfield and using it to the teams overall benefit.  Kenzo and Adams have given us consistent and growing doses of flair and strength; things we noticeably lacked last year. Delighted we are playing a mixture of styles. As an old friend growing up told me many times .. “be flexible” 

We're playing with more style than I expected. Pleasantly surprised.

We have lost more than half our games, which is quite terrifying and relegation level. Two teams currently in the relegation zone have lost fewer games. So we must be careful. We have shown a lot of naivety to suffer those defeats. But four wins is also a tremendous return. My hope and mild expectation is that we will cut out the mistakes and slowly start climbing the table. I am pleased Warne is well aware it's far better to win one then lose one, than to draw two.

A good hit rate. Everyone's happy with Kenzo, Zetterstrom, Jackson and Yates. While we saw Adams last season, he's much exceeded my expectations since becoming permanent. And Ozoh was learning quickly before he got injured. Fabulous to see Harness get off the mark. Once Yates gets a couple of goals he'll be unstoppable. So far Chirewa llooks the weakest, but give him time, and neither Osborn nor Phillips have stood out in the way they might have been expected to. That's a tribute to how well the others have done and also to how good Warne and his backroom staff have been at maintaining squad spirit despite quite large churn. If you add Blackett-Taylor to the summer-signing mix, it great to see him showing glimpses of what he might become. I wondered if Osborn might be our best player this season, which was quite a depressing thought and would mean we would struggle, even though he's a solid Championship player. Now I think he'll have to improve on his career form to date if he's to become a regular starter. I'm sure he's excited by that challenge, and I wouldn't put it past him.

My hopes were always top half, challenging for a playoff place. My expectations were lower. My expectations are now creeping up towards my hopes, so that's a real plus.

We can improve on every player we have. That's just a basic statement of fact. If Yates were injured I'd love to see how Brown did, but I can see the reason to bring someone in. But they would need to be special to displace Yates and I love the idea that we're buying to improve the team, not the squad - how it must be. Our problem at left back is injuries - Elder is injury prone. Fozzy is amazing, but not young and can he play twice a week without suffering? Osborn doesn't want to be a left back, but it might be his route into the team, but he's injury prone too. But then if all three are out. we would probably go three at the back and play a winger there. If we're near the top of the league in January and playing well, perhaps we'll attract a level of loan above what we have now?

Definitely. Here's the table so far showing how goals have been scored, ranked by set pieces:

image.thumb.png.69362dc879a8cc457f13e34e858fa6ce.png

What a magnificent effort by coaching staff and players to have scored almost twice as many set piece goals as our nearest rivals.

I'm really happy, not so much with the level of performance at this point in time but certainly the ceiling and potential I can see in the team. As much as some like to dumb it down, the design of our team is quite complicated and relies a lot on players playing on instinct and singing from the same hymn sheet. Warne has only ever been an advocate for moving the ball forward at speed, it takes a lot of work both in possession and out of possession to get those transitions correct. I think we're seeing a lot of good partnerships being born and can only see that strengthening. 

Yes, it's roughly where I anticipated, probably better than in all seriousness. I would've said wins at Blackburn, Cardiff before the season. Draws with QPR, Bristol & Watford. Blackburn and Watford got off to a flyer, we got caught up in that, Blackburn in particular are much better than lots of people anticipated. Cardiff are worse, but I expected them to be bad.

I've been really impressed for the most part, think we will use all of them as the season transpires. 

Not really, no. I think we have a lot more ability, potential than I ever reasonably expected but there is a deep relegation battle and our name is still one of 14 clubs who could get relegated. I'm counting anyone from Oxford (10th) downwards as a team who could still get relegated., for those interested: Oxford, Swansea, Derby, Hull, Plymouth, Sheff Wed, Bristol City, Stoke City, Millwall, Preston, Coventry, Luton, QPR, Portsmouth and Cardiff. Survival is the aim. 

I think there will be a clamour as a fanbase for a striker, however I really like the output from Jerry Yates and think we're a better team for his movement, tenacity. If we replace him for another striker, perhaps someone who plays on the shoulder and doesn't do as much in the build-up - how would that impact us? Who knows. I would like to see us bring in one or two more talented players, permanently, regardless of position. We just need to keep adding talent. 

He's an impressive person; he's created something here that is so enjoyable to watch and a group of footballers who you know as a bare minimum will leave it all out on the pitch. We won't be out fought this season, other clubs will have better players and we will lose games (obviously) but you know full well that we are watching a team that is very much prepared and given a great opportunity to go and compete. A very smart, very capable football manager. 

Satisfied overall. Home - obviously delighted with how we've approached each game. Away - not too surprised. Need to get on the front foot more and take our chances. It's taken some very good goals to beat us though.

Probably about where I expected - disappointed re Blackburn, annoyed about Norwich (thanks lino), delighted with the 4 wins.

Overall - excellent. The fact Phillips isn't a regular is only due to excellence of the incumbents.

No, I expect us to have ups and downs, but I believe the excellent team spirit will prevent us from getting into relegation trouble.

Still need a target man striker who can take advantage of service from the flanks etc and help us keep possession when under the cosh. If we're safely positioned around halfway by Christmas, I'm not sure we need splash out for anyone else (bar injuries).

I'd like to see the coaches focus on finishing and decision-making - both can help us improve.

Better than I feared - pleased with the goalkeeper purchase and Kenzo is doing ok so far - we looked stronger with Ozoh in the midfield 

what we need - yes the obvious a goal scoring centre forward who actually keeps the opposite sides central defenders concerned other than the nippy lads 

other teams are starting to be more cautious about playing us as they are now calling us ordinary instead of poor 😉

Edited by Sparkle

I have been pleasantly surprised considering the first three games.

I think there's been a clear improvement in playing-style, we are attacking on the front foot and the backline is looking more settled. The arrival of Zetterstrom, and the improving form of Cashin, has certainly helped this.

I am concerned about the goal contributions more generally across the front-line (address in January hopefully) and how a few crucial injuries might impact us, but is there a fan of a Championship club who doesn't share this concern to some extent? Probably not.

Overall my confidence in Warne has gotten stronger and I feel much more confident that we will stay up! 🐏

A slightly mixed bag, but with so many new additions to the squad, a settling down period was always likely. I do feel like Warne has answered his critics again, though we will need to continue to show performance gains across the season to be absolutely certain we don't get dragged into a relegation scrap.

Honestly, as a group, I'm delighted. We could quite easily have 15 points, despite some tough away fixtures and that'd see us sat just outside the play-off slots. As it is, we're tracking at around 60 points over the season with significant scope for further improvement, especially away from PP.

Really happy. I think the recruitment teams and PW have secured some excellent value and in Jacob and Kenzo we have two potentially high value assets. I love how the team ethic that underpins our recruitment strategy has been maintained, or even improved. We've a group of lads all pulling for each other and the team and that's as much as I could hope for, this season at least.

Yes and no. I've had a chunky bet on us to finish top half and I wasn't thinking about that at the start of the season. I'd still be very happy just to avoid a relegation scrap mind! 

I'd probably like to see another striker, cover at LB and being greedy, another CDM given how important that role seems to be for the way PW wants to set up.

Yeah, he's a bobble-hatted genius and I love him to bits. Didn't see that coming! 

1) How do you feel about the performances from the team in the first 9 games of the season? - At home, even the Norwich game, we've looked competitive, and played some very good football in patches.  Out of the away games I've only seen the Blackburn game in full and despite being on top from the 20 minute mark we showed a little naivety.  But going off a lot of comments on here, we haven't comprehensively outplayed in the others, considering the opposition and their current position in the table.

2) How happy are are you with the first 9 results? - Obviously we'd all like to have picked up a couple of away points, but on the whole we've shown more than enough to prove we can compete and do well this season.

3) Thoughts on the summer signings so far? - Bar Nat Philips everyone has impressed so far, in particular Kenzo, Ozoh & Zetterstrom

4) Have the first 9 games changed your expectations for this season? - Absolutely.  I thought we may be in for a season of real struggle after the Blackburn game, but we've really improved & began to gel into a solid Championship side, who should be comfortably mid table

5) With January fast approaching, is there a weakness in the squad that you would like to see addressed in the transfer window? - Competition for Yates is my only concern, if he were to pick up a bad injury we may struggle with fluidity in the final 3rd.

6) Any additional thoughts on Warne, back room staff or  the team that don’t really fit in the first 5 questions? - Despite what some doom mongers on here would have you believe, they're n fact doing a solid job so far.