Norwich City (H) Matchday thread

jono

11 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Aye, it's all it's buts and maybes. It's just why I can't get angry about their third goal. I think it's one of those where, if we saw Forest fans complaining about it we'd probably claim that it doesn't wash as an excuse.

The first one though... I believe the acronym is smh.

Ah, but they've got VAR, so it couldn't happen to them.........😏

Having slept on it the officiating errors cannot hide that this was a disappointing performance. I cannot understand those who think that we deserved to win. If we had got the point then I think I would have considered it a good one.

Warne's tactics can look outdated and ineffective against teams with greater quality on the ball. We will encounter a lot of teams like Norwich in the Championship and I fear that the results will look similar to yesterdays. They were not great defensively but tactically they made us look poor at times.

IMHO too many people are focussing on the officiating and ignoring our shortcomings as a team.

3 minutes ago, Wroxham Ram said:

Having slept on it the officiating errors cannot hide that this was a disappointing performance. I cannot understand those who think that we deserved to win. If we had got the point then I think I would have considered it a good one.

Warne's tactics can look outdated and ineffective against teams with greater quality on the ball. We will encounter a lot of teams like Norwich in the Championship and I fear that the results will look similar to yesterdays. They were not great defensively but tactically they made us look poor at times.

IMHO too many people are focussing on the officiating and ignoring our shortcomings as a team.

There were a few decisions that really made a massive difference to the result of the game and no matter how a team performs,  putting the ball in the net more than the opposition is all that counts and is why you get points. 

All this "we didn't deserve" "we did deserve" stuff means sod all in football. 

We scored 2 goals without the officials help, they scored 2 goals after being allowed to carry on after the ball had gone out of play and the outcome could have been massively different if the officials had done their job.

28 minutes ago, Wroxham Ram said:

I don’t think it was necessarily tactics, more the fact that we passed the ball so poorly, so often. We rarely got the pace or direction of our pass right, added to the fact that (especially the forwards) waited for the pass to reach them rather than moving towards the ball. Norwich we’re far superior in their passing.

Apart from the total incompetence of the officials, the biggest disappointment in our performance was the quality of some of our passing. Sloppy cross-field passes were far too frequent (NML & Kenzo being the chief culprits) and is something which quickly needs to be eradicated from our game if this season is to be without serious relegation concerns.

Something should also be sorted with Jacobs' distribution - his kicking is the worst I've seen from a keeper for years - far too many straight out of play or too long.

44 minutes ago, Wroxham Ram said:

What do you think he got tactically wrong? He said he didn’t feel we were brave enough first half (to press). He addressed that in the second half and we equalised. There was definitely some poor passing from us and Norwich players looked technically better in places. Barring in mind the quality of players we have available, what do you think Warne did and what should he have done? 

Despite the shortcomings in the performance noted above (most of which I agree with), and despite the impact of officiating decisions which went largely in their favour, we were knocking forcibly on the door in the last 10 minutes of play, while they were gagging for the final whistle, time-wasting and resorting to rugby challenges to break up our attacks. I wonder if Norwich are capable of such a response to (unfairly) being 1-3 down in the 87th minute? It was a thrilling end to the game, regardless of its ultimate futility.

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Corners (in general, not just Derby’s) are really beginning to annoy me now. If the ref delays the kick to speak to players wrestling in the box, you can almost guarantee that when the corner is eventually taken he will give a free kick to the team defending. He seems oblivious to any of the shenanigans from the defenders. Maybe because the consequences are much more significant.

I really don’t know what the answer is to eliminate this crazy element of the game.

Award lots of penalties. Throw an absolute stash of cards for absolutely anything which is foul play to the point of abandoning the match.  Do it consistently for  several matches and the message may get through. But there’s the rub - consistently. 

1 hour ago, Wroxham Ram said:

They didn't really make us look poor, we probably created an equal amount of chances as they did. I genuinely feel like we watched a different game. Derby more than matched Norwich throughout the game

48 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Something should also be sorted with Jacobs' distribution - his kicking is the worst I've seen from a keeper for years - far too many straight out of play or too long.

His kicking isn't great, but not much different to other recent keepers. What I did notice yesterday was that he revived the seemingly forgotten art of throwing the ball out. It's been a long time since I've seen a Derby keeper throw the ball out so well.

Zetterstrom 6.5 - couldn't do much for the goals I thought and came off his line well, but his distribution, especially under no pressure was very poor. 

Nyambe 5 - been very good recently but was way off it yesterday. Slowed down or lost many attacking situations too. 

Nelson 5.5 - not his usual 7/10. Bit off it. 

Cash 8.5 - superb performance. Probably should be a 9/10. If you were to pick a little thing, he gambled on the runner with the goal instead of the man with the ball. 

Foz 7.5 - very good defensively and grabbed a set piece goal. Not offering anything going forward but understandable given age. Having no overlapping full backs restraints us in this system. 

Ozzy 5 - very poor. Gave the ball away needlessly, doesn't recycle or progress the ball quick enough 

Kenzo 6.5 - my favourite player. Always seems to make the correct choice. Was restrained with having to play the deeper midfield role with Adams further forward. 

Adams 5.5 - did a lot of running and a couple of challenges but nothing else really. Seemed to be the furthest of the 3 midfielders. Why? I don't know. 

I'm going to cut the front 3 a bit of slack as I don't thing we progress the ball through midfield anywhere near as good or quick as we should. 

Jackson 5.5 - miss in the first couple of minutes affected him I think. Not much to go on after that. Kept going. 

Yates 5 - hardest position to play in our system and the way we play. Showed his usual couple of clever touches but overall was controlled comfortable by 2 man mountains. If we can get people closer to him and better balls to him he will be a great asset. 

NML 5 - to me this level seems beyond him. Has the engine, work rate and a good size but I get no excitement or hope when he gets the ball. 

Subs were good. 

Chirewa looked like he can play and may force his way in to the team shortly. Can see and play a pass. 

Wilson was direct. Corey got a goal. 

Overall think we deserved a draw as don't think they were great. But we go again Tues. 

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Award lots of penalties. Throw an absolute stash of cards for absolutely anything which is foul play to the point of abandoning the match.  Do it consistently for  several matches and the message may get through. But there’s the rub - consistently. 

Maybe but it’s not always just the defenders. The attacking team and the defending team are, more often than not, just as a guilty which makes it almost impossible for the referee to decide who to penalise. The default always seem to be to penalise the attacking team.

3 hours ago, Wroxham Ram said:

Very negative mindset. Inaccurate too. I saw no tactical failings at all, given the players available. Certainly in some areas (particularly up front) Norwich had some very skilled players, superior to their opposite numbers on our side. They were pretty good defensively but we found gaps. That is a tribute to our players and Warne’s tactics. We are not League 1 plucky triers now. Yes we have weak areas, yes some of our players make too many errors. On that basis we didn’t deserve to win; but poor officiating cost us a point that we deserved and earned. Our tactics had F all to do with that. 
“Out dated?” .. I wonder what tactical degree course passes judgment on that.

10 minutes ago, jono said:

Very negative mindset. Inaccurate too. I saw no tactical failings at all, given the players available. Certainly in some areas (particularly up front) Norwich had some very skilled players, superior to their opposite numbers on our side. They were pretty good defensively but we found gaps. That is a tribute to our players and Warne’s tactics. We are not League 1 plucky triers now. Yes we have weak areas, yes some of our players make too many errors. On that basis we didn’t deserve to win; but poor officiating cost us a point that we deserved and earned. Our tactics had F all to do with that. 
“Out dated?” .. I wonder what tactical degree course passes judgment on that.

Wroxham is a few miles from Norwich, so perhaps he is the literal "Canary in the Sheep pen"......

6 hours ago, Wroxham Ram said:

Are you extra cross as you are surrounded by Canaries in Wroxham? Went to school in Swaffham so this is one that matters to me more

7 hours ago, Wroxham Ram said:

Have u been in a footballing coma for the last 3 seasons or just choosing to ignore where weve been and subsequently where we are at as a club.

we know theres going to be a lot of clubs with lore money and better players. 
were doing ok all things considered

Decided to have a day out to forget all about the football and goal line controversy, with a trip down to Ditchling near Brighton. Took in a garden centre on the way back that had an exhibition on, including this ball. Must be the original that crossed the line, or did it..? 🤔

2024-09-29 14.29.41.jpg

9 hours ago, ossieram said:

We scored 2 goals without the officials help, they scored 2 goals after being allowed to carry on after the ball had gone out of play and the outcome could have been massively different if the officials had done their job.

A question mark regarding Collins being offside and impacting keepers line of sight, but the officials might have been doing a bit of 'levelling up' with that one.

Really pleased the goal stood though, not as an effect on the result, more that it will be a big boost to CBT.  

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe but it’s not always just the defenders. The attacking team and the defending team are, more often than not, just as a guilty which makes it almost impossible for the referee to decide who to penalise. The default always seem to be to penalise the attacking team.

Hence me suggesting loads of penalties to redress the balance. The bottom line is apply the laws of the game at every opportunity deliberately until the cheating by the players and by the coaches stops. Only then begin to show leniency again.

It’s not going to happen because there are too many agendas, too many vested interests.

8 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Hence me suggesting loads of penalties to redress the balance. The bottom line is apply the laws of the game at every opportunity deliberately until the cheating by the players and by the coaches stops. Only then begin to show leniency again.

It’s not going to happen because there are too many agendas, too many vested interests.

But my point is, more often than not, there is pushing, shoving and holding from both sides. How do you determine on which occasions to award a penalty in order to redress the balance?

The default seems to be to favour the defenders. I’m not sure that randomly (I say randomly because, as I say, there is usually fault on both sides and it must be difficult to identify the initial perpetrator) favouring the attackers is the answer.