Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you want to extend that observation, in the same manner then we were rubbish against Barrow midweek.

Yeah, it was a question not a statement. Just wanted to check my opinion was not overly rose-tinted.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yeah, it was a question not a statement. Just wanted to check my opinion was not overly rose-tinted.

I genuinely don't know, I mean one team can play so well that they make the other team just look totally ineffectual. Doesn't mean the other team played particularly badly. 

I suspect it was two 3's and a 6 yesterday 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Without being too much of a party pooper, it is possible City were just rubbish 🪖

A City fan I spoke to said that without Rob Dickie their defense looks all over the place. Also said that they made us look good. 

I would say that Bristol City are currently one of those teams that like to have a lot of the ball but don't seem to have the quality yet to make all that possession count.

They're perhaps the sort of team that a PW team might thrive against, as opposed to teams that let us have lots of the ball, or teams that can finish their dinner.

I'm glad that Mayulu didn't start, too. He looks like a handful. 

20 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I never said it was the majority, just many. I never said 50% either.

Anyway, a number of fans predicted losses v Boro and Bristol City. How many? Who knows? Who cares?

I disagree that it was on the strength of recent performances. We‘ve won eight in a row at home in all competitions, don’t forget. So it’s not all been bad.

I find it far more likely to have something to do with both visiting clubs having better squads than us, spending £10-15 million in the window, and being tipped for strong seasons that might have swayed people to pick against us.

After all, we could beat Cardiff 4-0 in two weeks and we’d still be heavily unfancied the following week v Sheff Utd, no? It’s just the reality of where we are.

well if your saying "many people thought we'd lose comfortably" that kind of implies more than half😅

Why would it not be judged on recent performances? It would be completely logical to judge it on that, its called form. Yeah we'd won 7 in a row beforehand, but that counts for very little as it was in a different competition. 

If we beat cardiff 4-0, i'm pretty sure we would not go into sheff utd being heavily unfancied. They've not even had that good a start to the season. 

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

This is from the Bristol City forum and on reading similar appraisals of the match yesterday then it broadly captures the sentiments of Bristol fans regards the game:-

For 20 minutes it was like men against boys and I thought it would be a case of not would we win but by how much. As soon as Derby stopped trying to take us on and sat in we had no clue and never got around them or behind them and in a more attritional game we then lost all the midfield battles and second balls so that if any team was going to open up it was them - and did they. A victory for direct play, and especially them putting their foot through the ball whenever they got a sight of goal. We simply didn't do so, they did, and could easily have won the second half 6-0 it was that one sided.

Sykes was utterly dire, he is a feast or famine player for sure. Some games he can be fantastic but when he's not he's really awful. I also thought both the ex Derby players were especially nervous or subdued - was it the occasion? 

9 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Said to my pal second half, Kenzo reminds me so much of Baiano and Eranio...in the way he controls the ball, his movement on and off the ball, not the biggest player but highly intelligent finding passes and space and connecting play, not scared to put the effort in to win the ball back either. With him, Ozoh and Adams it's almost like the Jim Smith setup Carsley, Powell and Eranio...two enforcers and a playmaker. Just my view, but it was a delight to watch yesterday.

That jim smiths team was the best to watch since cloughies team, loved Biano and Eranio and i hope this team can achieve the same enjoyment.

41 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

well if your saying "many people thought we'd lose comfortably" that kind of implies more than half😅

image.thumb.png.a019c5485c742e45a84e353be89361bc.png

image.thumb.png.a1fdbc2b1d711ae900c09dffe84037f7.png

image.thumb.png.9248ba8b5d63cfc3b5c0dcf91dca0249.png

I trust this offers the 'context' you felt was missing? 

Likewise can I suggest you re-read the two posts of yours that I cited S-L-O-W-L-Y, as you may note some further context there too, though I shan't be holding my breath. Word to the wise; when you're in a massive feckin hole, don't go renting a JCB.

Now, based on your proven and unparalleled stamina for a pointless and tedious bicker, I'm going to concede defeat and leave this here, as in a ****-off contest, I'm clearly overfaced.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

Why would it not be judged on recent performances? It would be completely logical to judge it on that, its called form. Yeah we'd won 7 in a row beforehand, but that counts for very little as it was in a different competition. 

If we beat cardiff 4-0, i'm pretty sure we would not go into sheff utd being heavily unfancied. They've not even had that good a start to the season. 

falafel-gifalafel-hazfalafel-icanhasfalafel-reaction-gif-reaction-פלאפלאנילקבליכולפלאפל.gif

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

There’s no overreaction here. I am just enjoying back to back home wins against what many would consider to be top half opposition. Many had expected us to lose both games and comfortably so. If we can’t enjoy that, what’s the point? Don’t let your misgivings over the manager and the style of play cloud everything.

To my mind, every game is a tough one for us, so would it surprise me if Cardiff did a number on us in two weeks’ time? No, it wouldn’t. It’s the nature of the division. They are a good side who finished mid table last season but have simply started poorly. They won’t be fish food. In typical Derby fashion, the next game has Derby 0-1 Cardiff etched all over it.

Realistically this season will ebb and flow and we are probably not going to see consistency in performances and results, because where the likes of Bristol City and Boro struggled, others will find a way. We just have to take the rough with the smooth and stay with the team, not waiting to be won over like a scorned lover.

Personally I am encouraged by what I’ve seen so far because we are giving it everything and there is consistency in desire, application and fight and moments of promise everywhere else. It has been far from perfect but what I would say is that there have been positives and useful lessons to take from every game.

Fair comments. I tend to also think the season will go that way, points away from home could be few and far between, but most fans would probably be very happy if we were able win most of our home games.

37 minutes ago, SSD said:

Just seen Ozoh's knee slide again

Explode Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Perfection.

I rewatched the game a couple of hours ago.

Second viewing definitely made me appreciate more the role that Yates played.

Hope we can keep him fit because not only is he going to score goals, he's going to create heaps of them for others, too.

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I rewatched the game a couple of hours ago.

Second viewing definitely made me appreciate more the role that Yates played.

This is so true. When the Man of the Match was announced, everyone around me was scatching their heads, me in included! Not because we didn't think he had played well, but because we thought there were more worthy candidates. But when I watched just the highlights I saw more of the flicks and tricks, and movement off the ball, that we hadn't noticed at the time.

A random one but did anyone else notice Jason knight start to head towards the north stand to clap them before he’d gone over to the Bristol city fans and Naki Wells stopped him and very clearly told him to go clap Bristol City first so he very quickly turned around and headed back down the pitch. 

Reminded me when Matt Oakley came back with Leicester and got subbed off and he turned straight to the north stand to clap and the Leicester fans lost their s*** 😂

8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Without being too much of a party pooper, it is possible City were just rubbish 🪖

I don't think there's any "possible" about it. They WERE rubbish. That doesn't take away from our performance however, even the w*nkest of teams still need to be dispatched, and Brizzle WERE dispatched. Ruthlessly. And let's be fair, it could easily have been 5 or 6.

They're the w*nkest team we've played in the league so far this season. By some distance.

3 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

I’m concerned that when that Pep leaves Citeh, that they’ll come cap in hand for Paul Warne. I mean …. their fans won’t notice any change if he does end up there. 

I think Paul Warne would faint if he had Haaland as a striker.