Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

Having had a gander on the various "socials", my thoughts on the posts I've read is that they are as overboard on this one as they were dismissive of the team in the 2 away League defeats and the home League win against Boro.

Brilliant 3-0 win but it could so very easily have been very much different. They had 2/3 possession and greater territorial advantage than us. Despite them being a goal down at HT, they had been the better side. We had 17 shots to their 13, 7 on target to their 5. Zetterström had 5 saves to make, their keeper 4. Some great blocks, some great saving tackles/challenges in the box. Our 1st half set up helped them play their game and I can imagine they will be miffed they didn't score in the first half.

Wonderful strike from Kenzo for our first. Should have scored earlier when put clear by NML. It's one of those shots where I always say "give it some air". Even going back to King Kev, how many one on ones have we seen where a low, hard shot has been saved by the keeper's outstretched foot. The keeper is going down, making himself as wide as possible, leaving a huge space above him. The same direction with the shot but 3 to 4 feet off the floor and it's in. The other shot he took when Yates was clear to his left was another case where he ought to have made a different choice. It'll come. It's these little things that turn good players into better ones. Kenzo is good. He will get better.

2nd half, they needed to come at us so we got more space with our 33% share of possession. Two more good goals, hit the post twice. Overall, the perfect away performance... at home.

Based on that performance, those on the bench will stay there. The newbies will have to bide their time. Especially in away games.

A better set of forwards would have seen us concede. We ignore that at our peril.

We're only 4 games in. 2 home wins and 2 away defeats. Slowly seeing a pattern to the play. We are going to see a lot of countering from the Rams this season. Over the course of the season I expect us to get a bit more expansive but not to the extent we did 2nd half at Blackburn where we ended up getting sucker punched 3 times in 15 2nd half minutes.

The opposition thus far? They currently sit 3rd, 5th and 7th and yesterday's opponents went into the game undefeated and in 8th place. Not a huge sample of stats but it's all we have and they are, so far, satisfying. We are currently 9th. Happy with that but not getting carried away.

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

Bristol fan vlog. 

I enjoyed that although has he ever thought about watching the game instead of filming the opposition set of fans? Just a thought. No doubt when he goes to see Oasis he will hold his phone up and watch them on the small screen as the cups of piss shower over him. Anyway, happy days!

🐏🐏🐏

2 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Having had a gander on the various "socials", my thoughts on the posts I've read is that they are as overboard on this one as they were dismissive of the team in the 2 away League defeats and the home League win against Boro.

Brilliant 3-0 win but it could so very easily have been very much different. They had 2/3 possession and greater territorial advantage than us. Despite them being a goal down at HT, they had been the better side. We had 17 shots to their 13, 7 on target to their 5. Zetterström had 5 saves to make, their keeper 4. Some great blocks, some great saving tackles/challenges in the box. Our 1st half set up helped them play their game and I can imagine they will be miffed they didn't score in the first half.

Wonderful strike from Kenzo for our first. Should have scored earlier when put clear by NML. It's one of those shots where I always say "give it some air". Even going back to King Kev, how many one on ones have we seen where a low, hard shot has been saved by the keeper's outstretched foot. The keeper is going down, making himself as wide as possible, leaving a huge space above him. The same direction with the shot but 3 to 4 feet off the floor and it's in. The other shot he took when Yates was clear to his left was another case where he ought to have made a different choice. It'll come. It's these little things that turn good players into better ones. Kenzo is good. He will get better.

2nd half, they needed to come at us so we got more space with our 33% share of possession. Two more good goals, hit the post twice. Overall, the perfect away performance... at home.

Based on that performance, those on the bench will stay there. The newbies will have to bide their time. Especially in away games.

A better set of forwards would have seen us concede. We ignore that at our peril.

We're only 4 games in. 2 home wins and 2 away defeats. Slowly seeing a pattern to the play. We are going to see a lot of countering from the Rams this season. Over the course of the season I expect us to get a bit more expansive but not to the extent we did 2nd half at Blackburn where we ended up getting sucker punched 3 times in 15 2nd half minutes.

The opposition thus far? They currently sit 3rd, 5th and 7th and yesterday's opponents went into the game undefeated and in 8th place. Not a huge sample of stats but it's all we have and they are, so far, satisfying. We are currently 9th. Happy with that but not getting carried away.

The 2 that missed their chances cost about £6m combined didn’t they? 

If we manage to stay up this year a player in the style of their big forward would be a must for the squad. He caused Nelson a few nerves at the start with his pace and strength.

11 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

It is all a game of what ifs. You say that Kenzo should have scored his first attempt.  I agree in principle as that might have proved to be the only goal on another day. However, had he scored, the rest of the game also may have gone so very differently.  

It is all shudda, woulda cudda. 

You also say it was a good away performance.  Again we have a new team, getting used to each other in a tougher league.  That performance will build confidence. 

Just take what it was, enjoy the result and more so the performanc. Oh and by the way, if that was a good away performance, bring on some more.

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

The 2 that missed their chances cost about £6m combined didn’t they? 

If we manage to stay up this year a player in the style of their big forward would be a must for the squad. He caused Nelson a few nerves at the start with his pace and strength.

He's physical and quick, but finishing is shocking. The Bristol City fans are saying he's now missed 5 1-on-1s in a row. I would never have paid what they did for him based off stats alone, but they must feel they can improve his finishing (he's still only 20 afterall)

To be honest, I think Brown is the forward you're looking for.

Woke up still buzzing after that performance.

After about 15 minutes of being caged in the team transformed into something else. Maybe it was the atmosphere that did it, though I personally think the crowd were responding to a team that suddenly found its bite. 

If that becomes the standard, and that is how we play going forward, not only will we stay up but Warne will win over the parts of the fanbase who doubt him. And that includes me! I haven’t like the way we’ve played under Warne but I could get behind THAT wholeheartedly. 

15 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

You get tazered and sent to the gulag for having a drinks bottle with a lid at the match yet he’s allowed to film most of the match 😂

Glad I watched that. How obsessed with South Stand limbs was he? 🤣🐏👍

26 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

To be fair, their keeper had 7 saves to make, he just missed 3 of them.  Whereas JWZ saved all 5 of his.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

An outstanding afternoon. One of those days that reminds you why you spend the time and money. A 3-0 comfortable and deserved home win somehow emerged from a Middlesbrough-esque first 20 where we couldn't get out of our half.

Callum Elder has been magnificent this season and yesterday was his best yet. Credit to him because I don't think many of us believed.

JWZ looks a proper goalie. Glad he got away with the drop, because he was superb for the rest of tgecdame and kept us in it early on. Someone said ge won't be here long, and if he continues like that I can see a £10m Prem move in 12 months.

Cash- back to his best. Thundering double tackle late second half epitomises him.

Jackson everywhere. Didn't Ipswich fans say he couldn't finish? On a hot streak here so far.

Yates like a young Pesch buzzing everywhere and using it well.

Midfield immense. How did we get Ozoh? Kenzo showing us much more than the flickers of skill we've seen so far. Ebooooou....just....Ebooooou.

Nobody below 7/10.

Crowd 10/10. Noisy buggers when we get a performance to watch.

One note of caution. If we go one down and have to chase games, I think we may have an issue. Harness and T may be the answer, but I have faith that our talented and flexible management team will find the answers.

Although Bristol played some nice football I think they would struggle in Division one, the side of their game that is missing is the determination and grit that we had to show to get out Division one, its a lesson that we need  to ensure that we don't forget. 

If you can play nice football and still retain the determination and grit then, you have a good side which will be difficult to beat. 

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's physical and quick, but finishing is shocking. The Bristol City fans are saying he's now missed 5 1-on-1s in a row. I would never have paid what they did for him based off stats alone, but they must feel they can improve his finishing (he's still only 20 afterall)

To be honest, I think Brown is the forward you're looking for.

If he ends up as the answer then fair enough. Fair play to Warne, would have been easy to bring on Collins yesterday for ‘know how’ to see it out but Brown got the nod. Do him a world of good. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This? The build up to his goal, he looked every bit the premier league player in this moment…and he’s ours for now 😁 

No I think he means the bit at 1-0 up where he just kept bulldozing through their fouls until eventually winning the free kick. 

I also enjoyed his nut megs on their player at 2-0 by the touch line in the west stand ha

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This? The build up to his goal, he looked every bit the premier league player in this moment…and he’s ours for now 😁 

I swear there was one near the end of the game on the near touchline

From 92:30, if you can watch the match back

Edited by Ghost of Clough