Vs Watford (A) Match Thread

DCFC1388

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Whether throw ins are set pieces are not we do appear to have a bit of an open play problem. 

0.33, 0.96, 0.21 our xG from open play in our league games so far is not great, with even the 0.96 only coming from 2 shots, albeit circumstances meant we sat on that rather than pushing on. 

We do appear to have retained a good level from set pieces and so whoever is responsible deserves a lot of credit for that, but I do not at the moment see much from open play to think we are particularly sophisticated or able to go through patterns of play and create chances. I don’t think you can be as reliant on set pieces as we seem to be. 

On the flip side Pompey are similar (from 3 very very tough games) but Oxford have fared better so far.

But the 0.96, most of that was ‘given’ To us by Boro.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

But the 0.96, most of that was ‘given’ To us by Boro.

Yeah - although I think you could also argue Jackson has forced the error and still had a fair amount to do to make it a good chance and, by scoring from it, we didn’t need to do much more after.

It’s probably the lucky v deserved conversation that ruined the thread for the last week again, I’ve not much interest in getting into it but I personally thought it was good play by Jackson. 

Just got back, definitely deserved a point. Watford had only a couple of chances one a good connection and the other a lucky ricochet whilst had two headed chances 

New keeper doesn’t use his left foot to kick with so avoid that and we really need a physical presence at centre forward who can bring others into play 

we battled well today whilst obviously lacking that extra bit of quality Tompson deserves more minutes on the pitch 

I am actually more hopeful after today 

Me and kids got there a couple of mins late today, but just in time to turn and see Eboue slide it home as we ascended the stairs surrounded by dis-gruntled Watford fans. If we had arrived 30 seconds later, we'd have been standing right next to where they celebrated and may have ended up with the fastest kicking out of all time.

That was the best it got though. I thought we were pretty poor after that for rest of half. Watford pressed and harried well, but we were unable to get anywhere close to their half with the ball. When their keeper took a goal kick in injury time, I'm pretty sure that was the first time he touched the ball, in any capacity, expect maybe picking it out of the net. 

Nothing really changed until we were behind and Thommo was on and we also nearly nicked a barely deserved point at the end.

I think we really missed Cashin at the back in terms of playing it out and also missed Osbourne knitting it together in the middle.

I thought today was the worst performance of the 3 league matches, especially as not convinced Watford are much good.

We did restrict them to few chances though, plus their first was a great finish. We also look dangerous on set pieces.

We now need to show creativity and chances created vs 2 teams at home that are not that strong.

4 points and some improved performances and we will have had a really good start. 1 or 2 points and no improvement in creativity and it could be a relegation battle.

43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought Yates was meant to be decent? And NML and CBT? Jackson?

They are. We still need a target man to hold up play and bring that lot into the game. Also a No10 with attacking intent, Kenzo is a deeper lying midfielder. I would also like to see an additional coach with more ideas on patterns of play in the attacking third.

36 minutes ago, Magicman said:

could have been better for their second.

Take a good luck...link below, He went for the 1st shot that was blocked...he was then on the ground and did well to get back up to try and save it, Unfortunately he's not elastic man.

https://www.skysports.com/football/watford-vs-derby-county/report/509378

Edited by Ram-Alf

When I haven’t seen the match it is a bit daft to comment with any degree of certainty ; but hats off to Ebou. Loved the attitude in his interview, to me he was 100% convincing. We have nothing to fear. Yes we will have to work hard, limit the mistakes and take our chances, but he’s on the pitch and believes we have it in us to compete at this level and not be the poor relations. I’ll take that as a summary.

Yes we are short of numbers and a cutting edge but there is a plan. Up for the fight .. deffo. Gloomy ? Well we all  hate losing but there are 40 odd games to come. Nervous ? Yes. Deeply worried and troubled ? No. Want a new manager ? No, but if I did then who for crying out loud ! We need to keep behind the team whatever the result. You can feel that these lads are a proper team and I like it. 

Although we lost today, I feel like I've seen steady improvement over the three games, by that I mean our defending has improved since Blackburn and we had more attacking intent today than against Middlesbrough, especially in the second half. Thought Sonny had a solid game in general, also a mention for David, even though not everything he does works out, he works tremendously hard. A cracking goal from Ebou to enjoy. Much to feel positive about as we head to Barrow. 

@hales300k did your son enjoy his first away day experience?