Max Bird

Old Spalding Ram

That's the risk with playing players against their former teams. Especially when the same management team is still in place. No one will know their weaknesses better, or know how to stop them. Bird, and Knight, were completely stifled today. Effectively 11 v 9, and the first 20 minutes aside Bristol were second-best throughout. 3-0 flattered them.

Let's have it right here, Max Bird is a very good footballer who played his heart out for the club. His form after the deal with Bristol showed not only that he loved the club he was leaving, but also that the fact that he was going elsewhere wasn't going to stop him giving everything he had for Derby and the fans.

My take on today was that if you stuck Max in a midfield with Ebou and Ozoh around him, he'd look sensational too. Let's not rewrite history here; he spent half of last season playing in a 2 with Hourihane and he really shouldn't be judged on that at all and he looked really good today too until Ebou and Ozoh got hold of the game, after which, it was much harder. That shouldn't be used to mark him down, but rather to mark our lads up. I'm still really grateful to the lad as without the fee we got from Bristol, we'd not have got Ebou and without Ebou, we'd have been starting the new season still in league 1.

Edited by Comrade 86

Proper funny bants from Sibbo right there. In fairness, I think he, Max and Jason will all be very happy to see their old club apparently in full recovery. Could probably have done without yesterday's drubbing, but I doubt it'll leave any scars beyond a wistful 'what could have been' moment. Proper good eggs, all three of them.

13 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Just watched the Bristol City managers post match interview, definitely puts some blame on Birdy, doesn't mention names but says players to emotional

Did he say that? Maybe they have never experienced that down there because leaving the mid-table mediocrity of nothingness that is Bristol City has never raised any serious emotions. I did think it was poor not to give the fans a clap after the game and was odd though. Knightly did. Maybe the ‘he’s had enough’ chant got to him and made him feel wistful. Anyway, two players who stuck by us when others were getting their agents to help them out through windows so good luck to them. Cash in owns the pair of them though.

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought he was referring to that idiot who was remonstrating with the ref all game. Needed stringing up! 

Possibly emotions was directed more than just at Birdy........yeah Twine was mardy all game

10 hours ago, Srg said:

Speaking of Sibley, Bristol also had a number 17 who looked the spit of him yesterday. It was like Max had smuggled him in with him. And let’s face it, no one’s seen Louie at Oxford, so maybe…

18/360 minutes of League football so far this year for Sibley. But….but!!

11 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Proper funny bants from Sibbo right there. In fairness, I think he, Max and Jason will all be very happy to see their old club apparently in full recovery. Could probably have done without yesterday's drubbing, but I doubt it'll leave any scars beyond a wistful 'what could have been' moment. Proper good eggs, all three of them.

I would imagine that Birdy will be looking out for the Oxford v derby score later in the season for opportunity of a nibble back.