Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

23 hours ago, Eddie said:

For the people who keep saying that we are miles behind other Championship sides, even the other two promoted from League 1, ad-nauseum, what on earth do you expect?

We have had to build the entire club back up from scratch in just under 26 months. What did we have when Clowes bought the club back from oblivion? Something like five under-contract full-time professionals and an academy that basically existed in name only. David Clowes actually said last year that we were as little as one week away from likely liquidation if he hadn't stepped in when he did.

I'd love to see us going toe to toe with the 'big guns' again, but we are where we are at the moment because there is no such thing as a magic wand. Equally, there's no substitute for hard work, a never-say-die attitude and gutsing it out, and that's basically what the club are doing, both on and off the field. I think that by gaining promotion last season we are actually a year ahead of schedule in the rebuild.

I think this is a bit of a fiction. It suits the club for fans to think: oh it will obviously take (5) years to recover from the crisis.

It’s made up, it’s an attempt to spin the entire fan base. The truth is, these days teams change personnel significantly from season to season. If the investment is there to buy strong talent, then teams can rebound quickly. 

As we know, for us the investment isn’t really there, so we’re encouraged to buy into the ‘slow turnaround’ mindset. The spin is quite skilful, look out for the messaging 

I’d far rather we were told the truth

9 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think this is a bit of a fiction. It suits the club for fans to think: oh it will obviously take (5) years to recover from the crisis.

It’s made up, it’s an attempt to spin the entire fan base. The truth is, these days teams change personnel significantly from season to season. If the investment is there to buy strong talent, then teams can rebound quickly. 

As we know, for us the investment isn’t really there, so we’re encouraged to buy into the ‘slow turnaround’ mindset. The spin is quite skilful, look out for the messaging 

Nothing wrong with trying to be sustainable, what’s the alternative, surely we’ve been there.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Oooohhhhh. Conspiracy theorist.

Or prat.

9 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Agreed and whilst it stifles open debate a little, the only way I can avoid taking the bait and responding to certain posters excessively negative comments is to put them on ignore.

Unfortunately, even when enough's enough and you resort to putting posters on ignore, you can still see some of the nonsense they post when others quote them. I've only 2 on my list, one who seems to have disappeared altogether (hope he's ok though) and the other who I thought had also gone never to be seen again but, like the Phoenix, has risen from the Ashes and is still posting puerile, childish gibberish.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I'd advise you to listen to radio derbys interview with Steven Pearce and the new performance team...it might give you some insight.

Derby has a clear plan but that doesn't preclude or dismiss extra investment coming in.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

In your fictional world, I don’t know whether you would recognise the  truth if it was staring you in the face. We are not going to throw money into transfers we have not got. If we can get new investors, then great but until then we will remain sustainable and gradually rebuild.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Surely the only alternative to being sustainable is to be unsustainable.

How many meanings does sustainable have in this context ?

Does it mean putting no money into the club, requiring all expenditure to be internally financed? Or taking out only what you’ve put in? Putting in just a little more than the club generates? How do you treat stadium rental, is it recycled? Requiring a 10% ffp buffer? 15%? And if you want another investor, what terms do you agree with that investor for their capital (easy for a deal to be scuppered by an unrealistic valuation of the club)

You suggest it’s simple but I don’t think it is

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

'd advise you to listen to radio derbys interview with Steven Pearce and the new performance team...it might give you some insight.

Yes I heard it. Seems a sensible approach. And no reason you can’t put those structures in place alongside an investment plan - if the money was there - aimed at quicker turnaround 

12 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

My point is - if a team has all the ball the game is ultimately theirs to lose. e.g. QPR Wembley. It was WBAs game to lose in the other Wembley game.

As you say: "Ajax couldn't find enough ways to break through". It was on them to do it. NAC were relying on them not doing it.

Which means that, on the day, the defending side defended better than the attacking team attacked. There is, as some have suggested, some luck attached, but most of it is down to a well planned and well drilled defensive formation doing its job.

3 hours ago, Archied said:

No they didn’t , they didn’t give the ball to Jackson , they didn’t even hit it in his direction 

To be fair, it was a perfectly weighted pass leaving the keeper stranded for Jackson to take in his stride.  

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

So instead of showing gratitude to Clowes through patience and a willingness to buy into the ethos and culture he's creating at the club, instead you'd rather throw your toys out the pram because he's not shovelling millions more into transfers?

Seems a really mature approach and not at all like a child throwing a tantrum because they can't have that new toy they want...

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

So instead of showing gratitude to Clowes through patience and a willingness to buy into the ethos and culture he's creating at the club, instead you'd rather throw your toys out the pram because he's not shovelling millions more into transfers?

Seems a really mature approach and not at all like a child throwing a tantrum because they can't have that new toy they want...

Well said.

Also worth noting that these clubs that are spending money is nothing to do with investment. It's to do with the fact they are making millions in sales and some of that money is being spent.

We have made a very minimal amount from these sell ons which has been invested into Adams, Kenzo and JWZ. Which makes me think when we do get to a position where we do sell someone for a decent fee that a large chunk of that will be reinvested in the squad.

Clowes has already said he wants us to be run sustainably. Like Brighton for example.

I think some of our fans see loans and think they're free. They cost money also, wages, loan fees etc.