Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

10 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

If you watched that game and didn't see how incredibly lucky we were, and that was the main reason we won, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

I've said that they defended doggedly. It was impressive in the same way as when a lower league team occasionally beats a PL team in the FA Cup by defending for their lives. Some people on here are speaking as though Warne had no other way than to set up like this because Boro have better players than us. They do but we are still in the same division. The other promoted teams Oxford and Portsmouth aren't playing like this.

I was at the game and watched it live.

OK, tell me three incidents were Boro failed to score because they were “unlucky” rather than due to their poor finishing or our solid defending and you might convince me.

”Luck” is a much miss used word. I can’t find Carrick’s post match interview but the match report on Boro’s website doesn’t talk about luck. 

Edited by Tamworthram

8 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

We're playing a team in the same division as us. We aren't a non-league team playing Man City. I can understand us being defensive but I don't think it was necessary to be that extreme. We do have quality in the squad and good athleticism. How can the tactics be spot on when the only reason we won was because Boro failed with the final ball. Derby gave them the space to find it for the entire game and they didn't. Its difficult to even analyse our tactics because of how little there was to them. All it was was a basic Low Block any old team can do. We didn't really use two-thirds of the pitch and our attacking play was almost non-existent    

No, any team can’t do it. Leeds tried for a start. We didn’t win because they “failed with the final ball.”
We won for 2 reasons.

1) They made a fatal mistake which we pounced on.
2) we stopped them by tactically defending as a well drilled unit rather than be gung ho.  Yes we have some quality but tactically we recognised they had some very slick players that would have taken us to the cleaners if we had gone toe to toe with them. So we devised a plan to control them - which worked. 

You can’t beat a dragon if you march in to its den with a sword shouting at it,  you’ll get burned. You distract it, bang your shields, confuse it, trip it up. Mohamed Ali won his title back doing just that. Soaked up the punishment. Yes we are in the same league but we have just been promoted and are rebuilding the spine of our team. Boro are an established high rank side in this league with superior resources. 

35 minutes ago, angieram said:

If you didn't want your points to be conflated with the match, might have been a good idea not to post it in the matchday thread? 🤔

No you're right I probably shouldn't have done. I said as much in the response before that. 

19 minutes ago, jono said:

No, any team can’t do it. Leeds tried for a start. We didn’t win because they “failed with the final ball.”
We won for 2 reasons.

1) They made a fatal mistake which we pounced on.
2) we stopped them by tactically defending as a well drilled unit rather than be gung ho.  Yes we have some quality but tactically we recognised they had some very slick players that would have taken us to the cleaners if we had gone toe to toe with them. So we devised a plan to control them - which worked. 

You can’t beat a dragon if you march in to its den with a sword shouting at it,  you’ll get burned. You distract it, bang your shields, confuse it, trip it up. Mohamed Ali won his title back doing just that. Soaked up the punishment. Yes we are in the same league but we have just been promoted and are rebuilding the spine of our team. Boro are an established high rank side in this league with superior resources. 

Not sure why you bother , they don’t listen to sensible arguments. Either blinkered or a wum . I’m inclined to think the latter. A few infesting this thread. 

9 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Out of curiosity did you go to the match.I go, but my husband dosnt and when he watches on telly it sometimes seems as though he has watched a different match to me, so at the end of the day everyone has a different perspective of matches.

DET: Husband and wife in different perspective shocker.

34 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I was at the game and watched it live.

OK, tell me three incidents were Boro failed to score because they were “unlucky” rather than due to their poor finishing or our solid defending and you might convince me.

”Luck” is a much miss used word. I can’t find Carrick’s post match interview but the match report on Boro’s website doesn’t talk about luck. 

From the BBC

Middlesbrough head coach Michael Carrick:

"Starting the game, we weren't totally at it. There were a couple of bits of sloppy play and then the goal, it's not easy to pull that back.

"We tried, we did some good things at times, created chances and the longer the game goes it becomes frustrating, so obviously disappointed with the result.

"It's no surprise as to how the game panned out, we couldn't do enough today to claw it back, we gave ourselves too much to do.

"We were off it in a couple of moments at the beginning of the game and we've definitely got to get better at that and be a bit more ruthless and smarter at how we start the game, but we'll get there."

Just now, brady1993 said:

No you're right I probably shouldn't have done. I said as much in the response before that. 

It's not unusual for the matchday thread to deteriorate into a more general discussion where people take a pop at whatever they deem is wrong with the club this week, month, year, take your pick!  Happens after every defeat and apparently, now, after victories that aren't considered worthy.

I think it starts with a few too many beers, continues with grumpy hangovers and finishes with the  pedants and WUMs chasing each other round in circles! All gets a bit ratty and more considered posts can get swept up in this. 

I know a few forums that close the matchday threads at the end of matchdays, perhaps this is why.

I try to avoid the extended debate as I'm really only interested in the football but here I am breaking my own rule and adding to the flotsam, sorry. 

41 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's not unusual for the matchday thread to deteriorate into a more general discussion where people take a pop at whatever they deem is wrong with the club this week, month, year, take your pick!  Happens after every defeat and apparently, now, after victories that aren't considered worthy.

I think it starts with a few too many beers, continues with grumpy hangovers and finishes with the  pedants and WUMs chasing each other round in circles! All gets a bit ratty and more considered posts can get swept up in this. 

I know a few forums that close the matchday threads at the end of matchdays, perhaps this is why.

I try to avoid the extended debate as I'm really only interested in the football but here I am breaking my own rule and adding to the flotsam, sorry. 

This was actually a good matchday thread for a couple of days, obviously helped that we won. Too many responses to the usual couple of suspects though, don't do it everyone.

28 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This was actually a good matchday thread for a couple of days, obviously helped that we won. Too many responses to the usual couple of suspects though, don't do it everyone.

image.thumb.png.6c7aed5de6a78a4d14bb1dfd55dfa6ad.png

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Guilty as charged 😬

It's bloody hard not to respond, Some posters want a cherry on top of their cake when in reality we aint got the cream yet, I truly wonder if some posters actually understand the game, This is not a put down, Just that when PW is shopping at Home bargains others are shopping at Waitrose and have done for a few years, You have to cut your cloth accordingly.

It showed against Blackburn what happens if you try and go toe to toe with a seasoned championship side while we've been playing league1 for 2 years, It takes time to adjust both physically and mentally, PW has had to change, The Blackburn game showed what we had to do against a team that had put 3 past a decent Leeds side a few days before.

I'll try my upmost next game to keep my fingers off the quote button...but I can't promise ☺️ 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

@DCFC1388 could we get a matchday thread started for Watford away on Saturday please? See if you can continue your streak and give us something new to discuss 🐏 

Gonna be interesting to see how some think we should approach the Watford game 

17 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I've never known any manager that would willingly allow the opposition to have 72% possession. The only reason they didn't score is because they couldn't find the final pass. Yes it was dogged defending from us, but if one team has all the ball then the outcome of the game is dictated by what they do with it. 

How often have we been the one with massive possession down the years? It not only can, but does, happen in football. QPR at Wembley springs to mind. The other way round for WBA at Wembley.

Another example from last weekend. Ajax away to newly promoted NAC Breda.

Possession NAC 25% Ajax 75%

Shots were 6 - 16

Shots on target 3 - 5

Corners 1 - 8

Ajax simply couldn't find enough ways to break down what was a very well martialled defensive performance by NAC who scored twice on the counter.

The day before, we got a breakaway and then, for the most part, defended stoutly and reduced them to, in the main, long range pot shots.

I fully expect that we will see that sort of display again this season against the top half a dozen clubs unless the quick CH, the CM and the Striker we are supposed to be after prove to be top notch.