Investment

15 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

When Morris signed the ownership of the ground over to himself that's when the alarm bells started ringing for me anyway 

For me it was when he appeared amongst fans at matches and when he invited members of this forum to breakfast.

He plainly needed something other than just owning the club.

On 22/08/2024 at 12:59, Mihangel said:

I don't think anyone is getting wound up, we're having a discussion and some are challenging your argument, there's nothing wrong with that!

There's no doubting that Brighton are doing historically well, there's also no doubting that Tony Bloom has spent 1/2 a billion pounds on getting them there. He's a lifelong Brighton fan, I don't believe that he expects a return on that investment - To do so would mean someone thinks that they can spend in excess of that 1/2 billion AND make a return on that. That's not happening.

In the absence of any specified criteria, 'well run' is a subjective matter and is why I mentioned Brighton's humungous debt, it can't be ignored. Any suggestion that Brighton's success if somehow 'organic' and not based on spaffing 100s of millions is entirely incorrect and as others have mentioned they're entirely beholden to Bloom and reliant on him not pulling the plug. The good news for them is that he has extremely deep pockets and is very unlikely to do so.

I think that’s the thing .. we talk about “investors” as if they are people advancing funds to a business hoping for a fiscal gain. I think that used to happen long ago and can still happen with lower league clubs but when you get to a certain level there’s a lot of spending for prestige and other factors that have nothing to do with monetary gain

1 hour ago, jono said:

I think that’s the thing .. we talk about “investors” as if they are people advancing funds to a business hoping for a fiscal gain. I think that used to happen long ago and can still happen with lower league clubs but when you get to a certain level there’s a lot of spending for prestige and other factors that have nothing to do with monetary gain

It's more like a turbocharged lottery. If you win and get to the promised land and then spawn your way to staying up for a couple of seasons you can make multiples back.

Otherwise you lose the lot.

A bit like an Omaze house draw.....

2 hours ago, eddy779h34 said:

He ploughed millions into Derby, at some point he had to pull the plug when sucess never came 

Yes he made wrong decisions, but investing in things is all pro rota to your wealth 

Nothing is a bottomless pit 

Like I say we all have our own opinions on the man, some will forgive him, but I will never forgive him, we nearly went out of business for good, for me that is unforgivable, remember his interview on radio Derby when all this was going tits up, he showed no emotion what so ever. I remember him as the Man who nearly killed my beloved club, but thats my opinion and we are all free to make our own minds up about the subject. 1000s of us live and breathe DCFC. Thank God we are still alive as a club to even discuss this matter. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Mel had good intentions and backed the club with a crazy amount of money. For me it was poor recruitment of both players and managers along with a very poor recruitment team that was his failing. If you look at how carefully David Clowes is going about the rebuild it shows up much of Mel’s poor decision making.

I think the amount of money we spent on recruitment with little to no return in the Mel Morris era was our downfall, to name a few:

Bradley Johnson - £8.1m

Jacob Butterfield - £5.5m

Ikechi Anya - £4.7m

Florian Jozefzoon - £3.1m

Cameron Jerome - £1.7m

^ 23.1 million right there... He was running the club like I do on Football Manager and you cannot do that!

Morris wanted, what we wanted; Derby County as a Premier League team. What is inexcusable for me is putting us into administration when he still had money in the bank.

He supposeably loved Derby but whats certain he loved his bank balance more, selling Derby the right way may have cost him another £50m - £100m, however he decided to keep that money and flushing us down the drain. If he still had £500m in the bank that money to sell us the right way would've hardly left him with a pot to piss in, left with £300m in the bank my heart bleeds...

So, all in all f*** him he would've seen us dead rather than lose anymore money, a situation he put us in with poor recruitment.

3 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Mel had good intentions and backed the club with a crazy amount of money. For me it was poor recruitment of both players and managers along with a very poor recruitment team that was his failing. If you look at how carefully David Clowes is going about the rebuild it shows up much of Mel’s poor decision making.

Well said Hintons. Let's be grateful that you and I still have a forum we can infiltrate with a fantastic array of double entendres 👍

5 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

For me it was when he appeared amongst fans at matches and when he invited members of this forum to breakfast.

He plainly needed something other than just owning the club.

Is that captain hindsight talking or is my dodgy memory failing me? I don’t recall concerns being raised at the time other than about the lack of sausage sandwiches.

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's more like a turbocharged lottery. If you win and get to the promised land and then spawn your way to staying up for a couple of seasons you can make multiples back.

And that was Mels motivation. Gamble city, with existence of DCFC as the stake/collateral damage. So angry about the ethics of it all 🤯

9 years on, incredible that this still keeps coming up.

Saw Norwich did it last season with a hand picked selection of fans, quick Google shows it’s pretty common. They even have someone in the role as supporter engagement at the club.

Then you have the SLO over on the Bristol City forum connecting fans and club.

But you know, I’m just the scumbag that’s put 15 years into running this platform, accepted an invite that I thought you know, could be a good thing.

Here we are 9 years on though and still being held against myself and this forum. Now it was apparently a red flag of a pending failure of club ownership.

Didn’t stop the 30,000 fans singing “He’s one of our own” each week at Pride Park, nor were their many urging caution as we spent the millions. Some did. Not many.

I don’t expect everyone to like me, agree with what I say, worship me as some kind of forum god, would be nice for you know, maybe a tiny bit of respect considering the time and money I put in the early years to get this platform off the ground.

The platform you all are using right now. 

The time, the money to attend the letter SCG meetings which I subsequently removed the forum from due to the abuse received across social media.

When it comes over on to this platform, the sly digs (which have now been removed from one particular member who has spent the last few years posting), will find their membership terminated. Just can’t be arsed with it anymore. Go do that over on X/Twitter with all the other faceless anonymous accounts that have nothing better to do than chuck abuse around. 

15 minutes ago, jono said:

And that was Mels motivation. Gamble city, with existence of DCFC as the stake/collateral damage. So angry about the ethics of it all 🤯

Sadly mate, Mel's attitude is what pervades much of our society these days.

This is not political, but we have become a nation where the few gamblers who win, win big.

I'm looking at you Michelle Mone as an example....

5 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Initially he did, but as time progressed he was simply borrowing money against the entity that was the club. 

6 hours ago, jono said:

Quite

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Even then, I think it's rare thay any 'investor' makes a significant gain. I can't think of many!

15 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Sadly mate, Mel's attitude is what pervades much of our society these days.

This is not political, but we have become a nation where the few gamblers who win, win big.

I'm looking at you Michelle Mone as an example....

Yep. I am old school. Play well win the game, take advantage of your assets win the game  ( I don’t mind if it’s personal drive or birth, money or contacts) No problem with either of those. Apolitical, it’s life and its twists and turns. Play your hand whatever it is, you have an individual right to do that. It’s Fair enough. 
The. There are the ones that abuse a system that has grown over time and tries to balance things the right way  ? different gravy, not cricket. There’s a code in my mind. I couldn’t define it with any precision but you just know when someone is a wrong un ..and it doesn’t matter if they are a prince or a pauper .. a wrong un is a wrong un. 

5 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Indeed, with a bit better decision making (and luck), what could have been....