Cashin- what’s the matter with him?

There’s something really up with him ever since he’s reported back for pre season. He’s looked sluggish, off the pace and as highlighted yesterday was very erratic in his positional play and defending. I can’t really remember early last season, but he seems unfit or trying to hard he just seems very off it at the moment. 

Cashin will be fine, he started sluggish the last 2 seasons too.

He just needs to shake off some of the bad habits that he could get away with in L1, like going for balls that should be left to the midfielders or the left back.

One of the downsides of him developing in L1 is that he now needs to learn the pace of the game and ruthlessness of the championship.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's playing with a makeshift defence and he's a young player. The midfield in front of him isn't great either. Cashin is fine.

Yes. He needs Fozzy to his right and Nelson to his far right.  Playing in a back 4 with 2 wingbacks who can’t defend exposes all of his weaknesses 

the frustrating thing is: we learned that last season

Edited by kevinhectoring

I think he looks exposed with Elder next to him. 

I may be wrong, but I don't think Elder is good enough defensively to be a full back, and doesn't give enough going forward to be wing back. 

I'd put Forsyth in for now, try and move Elder on, and bring in a first choice left back. 

I also wouldn't play Wilson as a full back. He's a wing back or a winger - and he's a better winger than CBT or Barkhuizen, for me.

The centre backs are too exposed with Wilson and Elder playing. Nyambe and Forsyth are a must if we're playing a back 4.

57 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's playing with a makeshift defence and he's a young player. The midfield in front of him isn't great either. Cashin is fine.

One game in and your calling the defence makeshift, the midfield not great……second game you can fill your boots and lay into our attack before moving on to the team in the dug out 🤣

Respect !!! 🤣

…….but Cashin is fine!

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Cashin will be fine, he started sluggish the last 2 seasons too.

He just needs to shake off some of the bad habits that he could get away with in L1, like going for balls that should be left to the midfielders or the left back.

One of the downsides of him developing in L1 is that he now needs to learn the pace of the game and ruthlessness of the championship.

You make a good point, perhaps if Cashin had someone a little more defensively solid at left back he would be concentrate on his own game.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Was he told to keeping running into midfield as a tactic? He spent more time there than in defence. 

Didn’t he start off as a midfielder in the academy? Old habits die hard.

Edited by DiggerB

He's a great player, but he does have a kamakize streak in him every so often where's he's caught up the field too high or something silly like that. He looks much better in a 5 at the back IMO to cover up for that. I could be wrong but I think Warne will revert back to the tried and tested 5 at the back in a couple of games.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Was he told to keeping running into midfield as a tactic? He spent more time there than in defence. 

You would have to ask Warne that, it's possible. But where were our 3 DMs?

Lack of midfield support, almost abandoned by Elder, being asked to step up and win challenges without anyone around to hand the ball off to, or cover the gap he has to leave in behind.

He's taking a lot of flack for the performance, but it's a bit scapegoat-y because he was abandoned tactically. He'll be reet.

3 hours ago, Simmoram2024Ramsrontheup said:

There’s something really up with him ever since he’s reported back for pre season. He’s looked sluggish, off the pace and as highlighted yesterday was very erratic in his positional play and defending. I can’t really remember early last season, but he seems unfit or trying to hard he just seems very off it at the moment. 

Maybe Warne is working them too hard in training? This is a genuine possibility rather than a baseless dig. And there is evidence out there to suggest he is known for doing that.

2 training sessions before an evening game was just crazy and Warne actually said last night that we looked fatigued in the 2nd half....it was the first game of the season 😆

Maybe Cashin is a bit like NML, the more you hurt him in training the less you get from him on match day.