Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

Been a long time since I’ve posted on here but coincidentally Jacob is actually a friend of a Swedish friend of mine so thought I’d share what I know about him.

I know he wanted to leave Djurgårdens this summer but did not expect Derby to be in for him (heard asking price was around 2 million at the start of the summer). I haven’t been told specific financial details of the deal with Derby but it’s significantly less than that. So far the agreement is only verbal but as of now I would be surprised if he wasn’t a Derby player by early next week.

As a player he’s aggressive coming for the ball especially from crosses. Doesn’t just stand on his line. His best attribute is his shot stopping and he’s agile for a big man. His long balls are good as well, they create chances and he has had some assists from them.

He had a very serious concussion injury when he was younger which nearly made him stop playing football and kept him out for 1.5 years. That’s why he now wears a helmet when playing.

As a person I’ve heard he’s down to earth and very smart and hard working. He actually studied to be a doctor whilst playing for Djurgårdens. His English is also fantastic and definitely fits the type of person Warne looks for.

Personally very excited about this deal, good value for a good player with potential. Recruitment has been very impressive so far!

My brain is stupidly broken and because his name is presented as 3 different words without any 'barrelling' it keeps associating him (although not confusing him ) with American wrestling star Maxwell Jacob Friedman.

unnamed.jpg?format=1000w

I'm sorry, I can't help it. MJF is bloody awesome though tbf, one of the best in the business so hopefully JWZ's performances follow suit

...cue the wrestling puns.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

5 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

My brain is stupidly broken and because his name is presented as 3 different words without any 'barrelling' it keeps associating him (although not confusing him ) with American wrestling star Maxwell Jacob Friedman.

unnamed.jpg?format=1000w

I'm sorry, I can't help it. MJF is bloody awesome though tbf, one of the best in the business so hopefully JWZ's performances follow suit

I like him.

I hope he gets over

6 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

unnamed.jpg?format=1000w

He’s better than you, and you know it. 

6'6" is a good height for a goalkeeper, no doubt. Just that as a figure gives you confidence.

Here comes the however...

However...

I'm not trying to kill the guy before he even signs. Far from it, I think keeping realistic expectations saves him from intense scrutiny if he doesn't turn out to be Petr Cech's regen. But it is worth mentioning that Kelle Roos was similar dimensions and it didn't help him command his box. In fact it hindered him as he was too gangly and never learned how to use his long limbs to save shots.

Eric Steele was credited with helping David De Gea at Manchester United become "The Spider" again. DDG had his critics at the end of his time at United but he had critics right at the start too. He instinctively tried to save everything with his feet because he was gangly with long limbs. He didn't cut it. He looked cumbersome and like a goalkeeper on stilts because he hadn't ever learned to use his height. Steele helped him learn how to utilise what he had.

Goalkeepers of that shape can be either "The Spider" or they can be like a flailing octopus throwing long arms and legs but having no close reach and no composure with close quarter saves and clearing set piece balls in dangerous areas. The reason that Roos flapped at crosses way out of his reach was because he didn't know his own length.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

6'6" is a good height for a goalkeeper, no doubt. Just that as a figure gives you confidence.

However...

I'm not trying to kill the guy before he even signs. Far from it, I think keeping realistic expectations saves him from intense scrutiny if he doesn't turn out to be Petr Cech's regen. But it is worth mentioning that Kelle Roos was similar dimensions and it didn't help him command his box. In fact it hindered him as he was too gangly and never learned how to use his long limbs to save shots.

Eric Steele was credited with helping David De Gea at Manchester United become "The Spider" again. DDG had his critics at the end of his time at United but he had critics right at the start too. He instinctively tried to save everything with his feet because he was gangly with long limbs. He didn't cut it. He looked cumbersome and like a goalkeeper on stilts because he hadn't ever learned to use his height. Steele helped him learn how to utilise what he had.

Goalkeepers of that shape can be either "The Spider" or they can be like a flailing octopus throwing long arms and legs but having no close reach and no composure with close quarter saves and clearing set piece balls in dangerous areas. The reason that Roos flapped at crosses way out of his reach was because he didn't know his own length.

Bit of a generalisation, based on Roos experience! If he turns out to be half as good as Czech or De Gea I will be more than satisfied.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

However...

Roos wasn’t 6 ft 6 and he was s**** 

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

However...

Poom was also 6 ft 5 and is the best keeper we have ever had. Don’t think height is a bad thing to be honest. Warne likes to doninate the box from set pieces, and being 6ft 6 can’t hurt.

Also Zetterberg is good, he is 26 and has been around a while, it’s not really a risk, hence the fee.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

However...

What a load of baloney

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

However...

I get what you’re saying, but you’re really just doing the opposite. He’s tall, so therefore he’s just like this other player who’s tall. 

Fact is, those that have seen him play characterise him as good from crosses and a good shot stopper. 

4 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

Poom was also 6 ft 5 and is the best keeper we have ever had. Don’t think height is a bad thing to be honest. Warne likes to doninate the box from set pieces, and being 6ft 6 can’t hurt.

Also Zetterberg is good, he is 26 and has been around a while, it’s not really a risk, hence the fee.

Let's hope Zetterstrom is even better than Zetterberg 😉

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree 100%. This level of fee in the Championship is nothing to worry about considering the funds we should have available to us. That’s the point I was making that people shouldn’t panic.

I think years of financial mismanagement by Mel have left people terrified of spending any money at all. £1.5m is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of fees paid in the Championship - and we have to spend some money to be able to compete. Not obscene amounts which put the club in danger, but enough to be competitive. The deals we have made so far fall into the latter category - and we have the funds to make them given we’ve had additional unexpected income from sell on fees this window.

It was the wages paid out by Mel that was the harm as well as upfront fees. On the books for outgoings don’t teams normally do it over the length of contact so if a player signs for 1 million on a 4 year deal it goes down as 250k a year. It was the likes of the  bieliks and anyas wages of 25 grand a week and higher that did us in 

4 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

It was the wages paid out by Mel that was the harm as well as upfront fees. On the books for outgoings don’t teams normally do it over the length of contact so if a player signs for 1 million on a 4 year deal it goes down as 250k a year. It was the likes of the  bieliks and anyas wages of 25 grand a week and higher that did us in 

Indeed, and I think it’s clear we’re keeping a tighter control on wages now by refusing to pay Iversen’s 20k a week. Long term contracts on obscene wages really did screw us over.

The fee will be amortised over the length of his contract yeah - I’d guess at 3 years rather than 4

41 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Indeed, and I think it’s clear we’re keeping a tighter control on wages now by refusing to pay Iversen’s 20k a week. Long term contracts on obscene wages really did screw us over.

The fee will be amortised over the length of his contract yeah - I’d guess at 3 years rather than 4

Certainly a lot smarter way of spending. For example let’s say this year we paid the full 750k up front and give Zetterström 10k a week that’s 1.27 million for the year. I’d imagine Leicester would want a small loan fee for Iversen lets say 200k and then + his 20k wages that’s 1.24 million that’s is basically paying roughly 30k just to sort out a long term goalie rather than kicking the can further down the road. Definitely a good investment and Internal decision on our behalf. 

Used to watch Roger Jones and jaka Bankovic in goal when first started going to the BBG.

Steele and Wallington eventually onto England's number when we signed Shilton.

With the plethora of Keepers since then one stands above all.......POOOOOOOM.

That lad was immense some of the stuff he saved he had no right to get to including low down either side.

Didn't parry things back into play would turn it around the post or away from goal.

Cant think of one glaring error or mistake.

And his decision making on when to come for a cross was excellent and dominated his six yard box

If this lad is close to that kind of pedigree then we are on a winner.

At 26 he will get better with experience and by his early thirties will be in his goalkeeping prime.

Hopefully he can play well enough for our rams to get more international caps.

But the  big Estonia is by far the best keeper in my time of watching the rams and will take an awful lot of fantastic goalkeeping from someone to top him

Edited by AmberRamber

3 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

Used to watch Roger Jones and jaka Bankovic in goal when first started going to the BBG.

Steele and Wallington eventually onto England's number when we signed Shilton.

With the plethora of Keepers since then one stands above all.......POOOOOOOM.

That lad was immense some of the stuff he saved he had no right to get to including low down either side.

Didn't parry things back into play would turn it around the post or away from goal.

Cant think of one glaring error or more mistake.

And his decision making on when to come for a cross was excellent and dominated his six yard box

If this lad is close to that kind of pedigree then we are on a winner.

At 26 he will get better with experience and by his early thirties will be in his goalkeeping prime.

Hopefully he can play well enough for our rams to get more international caps.

But the  big Estonia is by far the best keeper in my time of watching the rams and will take an awful lot of fantastic goalkeeping from someone to top him

Not a bad header of the ball either.