Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

My great-nephew is learning Cantonese at secondary school. Makes sense, given possible future business links. 

He appears to be very good at it, but then it would sound Chinese to me! 

Fair play, I'm attempting it too. It's incredibly difficult.

6 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Fair play, I'm attempting it too. It's incredibly difficult.

Things are easier when you're 15!

I did French and Latin at school, German at night-school, and a bit of Spanish on holiday. For me, it's less about being fluent, more about at least being able to read menus, greet and thank people in their own language. They always seem to appreciate the effort even after they've realised I can't hold a detailed conversation. 

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Off topic but I disagree. We are arrogant and lazy as we can't be bothered. Generally we don't start learning another language until we are 11 and then give it up at 16.

We benefit from English being the major language of business together with film, music and media being in English. 

I hate it though (and I am guilty) - my wife can speak French and German and when we go to those places, seeing her converse (Not fluently but simple conversation) I feel bad.

That does not make us arrogant though does it. Lazy maybe, but as I said,  which language do you learn? 

25 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

That does not make us arrogant though does it. Lazy maybe, but as I said,  which language do you learn? 

I think it makes us both to be honest.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I did French and Latin at school, German at night-school, and a bit of Spanish on holiday. For me, it's less about being fluent, more about at least being able to read menus, greet and thank people in their own language. They always seem to appreciate the effort even after they've realised I can't hold a detailed conversation. 

I can order a beer in several languages 🙄

3 hours ago, angieram said:

My great-nephew is learning Cantonese at secondary school. Makes sense, given possible future business links. 

Sounds double dutch to me

7 hours ago, angieram said:

If you meant to say that, I feel it's unfortunate. Why would they learn Cantonese? Even in Hong Kong the school kids must learn Mandarin, as China tries to impose Mandarin on the whole country, for which it's the official language. With a billion speakers. No one speaks Cantonese outside of Hong Kong. 

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If you meant to say that, I feel it's unfortunate. Why would they learn Cantonese? Even in Hong Kong the school kids must learn Mandarin, as China tries to impose Mandarin on the whole country, for which it's the official language. With a billion speakers. No one speaks Cantonese outside of Hong Kong. 

It might be Mandarin, then. Shows my ignorance as the nearest I've ever got to China is Belper River Gardens! 

I will ask him when he returns from holiday.

14 hours ago, angieram said:

I'm not good at languages (it just doesn't seem to stick) but I always try to get some basic stuff down as a courtesy when I visit another country. A few basic phrases to acknowledge that you are in someone else's country is surely not a great hardship. As you say Ang, it'll become pretty obvious pretty quickly that you are not fluent and can't have a full conversation, but I have consistently noticed a bit of extra positivity when you at least try. Points for effort and all that...

I think my determination these days to at least have a go, started when I was in Spain a few years back and I went for a bite to eat in what turned out to be very much a locals bar/restaurant and my friend greeted a member of staff in English and she politely seemed to cup her hand to her ear and I guessed that what she was asking for was our best attempt at Spanish because she could not have misheard as she was stood next to us and we had heard her using excellent English with another table. I ordered a beer a coffee and a snack from the board in my best halting Spanish and she beamed at me, clapped and was generally just super friendly and happily engaged us in English after that and we got some good advice about places to go and buses etc. It was an embarrassingly small effort on my part and was obviously prompted by her, but it did seem to really change the nature of the interaction. I have often wondered what would have happened if we had zero Spanish though!

Around the same sort of time I went to Greece and on the way to a well-known view point, we decided to wind our way through a village, mainly because it was stupidly hot in the direct sun, even mid-morning, and we thought we'd take advantage of the shade and maybe pick up some water. We were in a less well trodden street and we passed by one of those classic old Greek ladies sitting in the shade, with cats for company. I'm not sure why, but perhaps because it was such a quiet street that it felt like we were intruding, I just greeted her with a breezy 'Kalimera' and she looked up and seemed genuinely surprised and happy with this clumsy attempt and enthusiastically smiled and greeted us back. We had clearly been mid conversation about our empty water bottle and she helpfully gestured round the corner and I in amongst a flurry of Greek that I didn't catch, I recognised the Greek word for 'water' and thanked her (In Greek) which brought another big smile, and sure enough, there was a tiny shop just down a side street.

So anyway, if I can learn a few phrases then anyone can because I am properly rubbish at languages ! There's loads of really good free resources online that can give you the correct phonetics.

On 26/07/2024 at 15:57, ilkleyram said:

Right, we need all London airports covered next Friday - luton, city, heathrow, stansted, gatwick - time to step up southern rams. He needs manmarking until he's safely in Moor Farm. @SECornerRAM will confirm flight times and actual airport nearer the time.

Better give B and Q a ring so they can send the vouchers. But whoever is handing them out .. he’s a tall blokes with a helmet. Don’t give em out Willy Nilly to any chancers. 

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

I'm not good at languages (it just doesn't seem to stick) but I always try to get some basic stuff down as a courtesy when I visit another country. A few basic phrases to acknowledge that you are in someone else's country is surely not a great hardship. As you say Ang, it'll become pretty obvious pretty quickly that you are not fluent and can't have a full conversation, but I have consistently noticed a bit of extra positivity when you at least try. Points for effort and all that...

I think my determination these days to at least have a go, started when I was in Spain a few years back and I went for a bite to eat in what turned out to be very much a locals bar/restaurant and my friend greeted a member of staff in English and she politely seemed to cup her hand to her ear and I guessed that what she was asking for was our best attempt at Spanish because she could not have misheard as she was stood next to us and we had heard her using excellent English with another table. I ordered a beer a coffee and a snack from the board in my best halting Spanish and she beamed at me, clapped and was generally just super friendly and happily engaged us in English after that and we got some good advice about places to go and buses etc. It was an embarrassingly small effort on my part and was obviously prompted by her, but it did seem to really change the nature of the interaction. I have often wondered what would have happened if we had zero Spanish though!

Around the same sort of time I went to Greece and on the way to a well-known view point, we decided to wind our way through a village, mainly because it was stupidly hot in the direct sun, even mid-morning, and we thought we'd take advantage of the shade and maybe pick up some water. We were in a less well trodden street and we passed by one of those classic old Greek ladies sitting in the shade, with cats for company. I'm not sure why, but perhaps because it was such a quiet street that it felt like we were intruding, I just greeted her with a breezy 'Kalimera' and she looked up and seemed genuinely surprised and happy with this clumsy attempt and enthusiastically smiled and greeted us back. We had clearly been mid conversation about our empty water bottle and she helpfully gestured round the corner and I in amongst a flurry of Greek that I didn't catch, I recognised the Greek word for 'water' and thanked her (In Greek) which brought another big smile, and sure enough, there was a tiny shop just down a side street.

So anyway, if I can learn a few phrases then anyone can because I am properly rubbish at languages ! There's loads of really good free resources online that can give you the correct phonetics.

Thanks to a great Aussie Greek barman a long time ago I now know the following (spellings incorrect)

Nehro is water

Horeattiki is a Greek salad 

Malaka is a 100% Cockwomble (or worse) 

We interrupt the river based puns to share another loosely translated Swedish news article;

Jacob Widell Zetterström, 26, has been in England to meet Derby County.
Now it is clear that all the details for a transition are in place. “JWZ” will sign The Championship newcomer.

The transfer will be official shortly and even if Djurgården IF does not get what has been the goal, the money is a little bigger than previously known.
According to my information, a deposit to Djurgården's account of around 22 million kroner in basic sum, and another around 5-6 million kroner in bonuses is waiting in the short term.
A maximum sum of around 28 million is a similar level to Hammarby with Oliver Dovin and Coventry.
Djurgården's goal with sales was originally around SEK 35 million.

The replacement can now be the previously mentioned Jacob Rinne, despite FD's information that he snubbed a first offer.
Jämte Rinne, I also have information that Brommapojkarna's Filip Sidklev has been an option - but that Dif is now looking at other names in addition to Rinne's.

Jacob Widell Zetterström was brought up in IFK Lidingö and joined Djurgården at the beginning of 2019. The goalkeeper has made 113 competitive matches for the Blue Stripes.

At Derby County, he will compete with, among others, the Arsenal-raised goalkeeper Josh Vickers.

14 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We interrupt the river based puns to share another loosely translated Swedish news article;

Jacob Widell Zetterström, 26, has been in England to meet Derby County.
Now it is clear that all the details for a transition are in place. “JWZ” will sign The Championship newcomer.

The transfer will be official shortly and even if Djurgården IF does not get what has been the goal, the money is a little bigger than previously known.
According to my information, a deposit to Djurgården's account of around 22 million kroner in basic sum, and another around 5-6 million kroner in bonuses is waiting in the short term.
A maximum sum of around 28 million is a similar level to Hammarby with Oliver Dovin and Coventry.
Djurgården's goal with sales was originally around SEK 35 million.

The replacement can now be the previously mentioned Jacob Rinne, despite FD's information that he snubbed a first offer.
Jämte Rinne, I also have information that Brommapojkarna's Filip Sidklev has been an option - but that Dif is now looking at other names in addition to Rinne's.

Jacob Widell Zetterström was brought up in IFK Lidingö and joined Djurgården at the beginning of 2019. The goalkeeper has made 113 competitive matches for the Blue Stripes.

At Derby County, he will compete with, among others, the Arsenal-raised goalkeeper Josh Vickers.

22 million SWEDISH kroner = 1,602,381.00 Pound sterling🫣

Amended to reflect Swedish kroner rather than Norwegian kroner 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd