Stefan Teitur Thordarsson - signed for Preston

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I’m really surprised he’s picked Preston over QPR, regardless of ourselves. Preston have one of the more toxic situations in the EFL - the fans loathe the manager and the ownership is asleep at the wheel. We will never know the full story, of course, but if this turns out to be true then I’d consider him badly advised. 

Maybe he’s seen the London house prices 

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s a sad state of affairs when a player chooses living in the absolute dump that is Preston over moving to us.

Have you not seen the recent Which report that has Derby as the worst City in the UK to live in......

Quickly followed by this Sun report today

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28290645/uks-worst-city-which-derby-drug-gangs/

All good press for anyone planning to move to this area.

3 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Have you not seen the recent Which report that has Derby as the worst City in the UK to live in......

Quickly followed by this Sun report today

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28290645/uks-worst-city-which-derby-drug-gangs/

All good press for anyone planning to move to this area.

Worst City Break destination, not worst city to live in.

1 hour ago, admira said:

Maybe he’s seen the London house prices 

We had  a player on loan to a London club who couldn't buy the place he wanted on a championship wage 17 years ago.  The promotion bonus of 500k, despite not kicking a ball for Derby that season, gave him the remainder he needed as opposed to having something derelict in a nice bit of London knocked down and rebuilt.  I'd imagine the 15- 20 k a week for bang average mid table players, it would be a different story now.

6 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Worst City Break destination, not worst city to live in.

Cheap holidays in other people's misery? 

"Recent figures revealed the city is suffering from alarming deprivation, with more than 23,000 children suffering from child poverty.

This equates to around two in five kids struggling to get daily essentials like food and clothing.

Further south, Arboretum is one of the most deprived parts of the city. The ward of Arboretum is one of the top ten poorest in the country."

55 minutes ago, roboto said:

I don’t think so. The clues are that this player is Icelandic and has been playing in Denmark.

It's not his fault. The only way to tell the difference between two Vikings is to check which direction their horns point in 😐

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cheap holidays in other people's misery? 

"Recent figures revealed the city is suffering from alarming deprivation, with more than 23,000 children suffering from child poverty.

This equates to around two in five kids struggling to get daily essentials like food and clothing.

Further south, Arboretum is one of the most deprived parts of the city. The ward of Arboretum is one of the top ten poorest in the country."

https://nielsenmcallister.com/news/derby-a-great-city-for-young-professionals-no-really/

always good to have an alternative view. 
It has its own thread as well .

Typical Sun , “Derby is the most dangerous City in Derbyshire “

…… no s**** Sherlock as it’s the only City in Derbyshire . 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

For the first 5 years of my life, I lived in a shared house, with my parents, in Arboretum Street and my playground was the Arboretum Park where we were often chased by the park keeper for running over the small hillocks.

In the summer, that park was always full of flowers, and had bands playing every Sunday in the restored bandstand. I say restored because the park was bombed in war and the bandstand was destroyed and several gunners killed.

There were three families in the house - all from Eastern Europe (my father was Polish), with a shared bathroom and one toilet for 6 adults and two small children. 

I'm not going all Monty Python " four Yorkshire men" routine here, however, we lived in the attic - one bedroom and combined large room which included a small stove and a sink.

Different times - the 1950's was another world.

27 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

For the first 5 years of my life, I lived in a shared house, with my parents, in Arboretum Street and my playground was the Arboretum Park where we were often chased by the park keeper for running over the small hillocks.

In the summer, that park was always full of flowers, and had bands playing every Sunday in the restored bandstand. I say restored because the park was bombed in war and the bandstand was destroyed and several gunners killed.

There were three families in the house - all from Eastern Europe (my father was Polish), with a shared bathroom and one toilet for 6 adults and two small children. 

I'm not going all Monty Python " four Yorkshire men" routine here, however, we lived in the attic - one bedroom and combined large room which included a small stove and a sink.

Different times - the 1950's was another world.

You were lucky 😔

15 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

By all accounts it seems like we’ve been scouting him and looking into buying him for a while, with Warne travelling to Denmark to watch him multiple times if ITKs are to believed. That won’t have been cheap. To put that effort in he must have been a key target. If we didn’t think he’s worth £800k then we’re stupid imo, he’s an established international for a mid level side. 

Perhaps it was simply because we thought or had been lead to believe he would be available at say 500k which fitted our parameters and we pursued it. Then it became 800 k so we backed away. You want your drive done.. initial quote was 5 grand but when the extras came in it was 8 grand so you decided not to it ..

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jono said:

Perhaps it was simply because we thought or had been lead to believe he would be available at say 500k which fitted our parameters and we pursued it. Then it became 800 k so we backed away. You want your drive done.. initial quote was 5 grand but when the extras came in it was 8 grand so you decided not to it ..

I think the actual fee is closer to that £500k from what I hear…

On your analogy, if all other quotes to get my drive done to a similar standard were £20k, I’d pay the 8 grand. I think that’s what we will see here, that similar quality players will cost us 7 figures.

Edited by Millenniumram

55 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

FWIW, I’ve heard today that the fee was less than the £800k reported - he signed for Preston because we were unwilling to pay it. He’d have come here otherwise.

I think we will regret this one, and I’m yet to see this competitive budget…

I would suspect we don’t have the budget especially if we are still trying to get Adam’s back 

11 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I would suspect we don’t have the budget especially if we are still trying to get Adam’s back 

Doesn’t sound very competitive then, especially with the 3m we just received for Kellyman