Stefan Teitur Thordarsson - signed for Preston

Just now, MaltRam said:

So be it. It's not easy to get these over the line. Next.

Isn't it?  He's playing in the Danish league which isn't the highest level of football finance, we've got a pocket of wages that Sibley hasn't taken up for extra manoeuvre and if he's the bloke in Denmark Warne was watching it's been in the offing for a bit.  It's quite a concern for me. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned looking at our business so far. 

If we get Ebou Adams, Kenzo and Matty Ryan that would surely change though?

Edited by Ram1988

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Seems that way at the moment. If we can’t even compete with QPR over an £800k signing after getting £3m as an unexpected budget boost, then we’re not going anywhere but league one.

What makes you think we cant compete? There is a difference between wanting to pay 800k & being able to afford 800k. Maybe that price is more than we think he is worth & are willing to pay. Doesnt mean we cant afford it, just means we wont overpay on players.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Isn't it?  He's playing in the Danish league which isn't the highest level of football finance, we've got a pocket of wages that Sibley hasn't taken up for extra manoeuvre and if he's the bloke in Denmark Warne was watching it's been in the offing for a bit.  It's quite a concern for me. 

And what sells Derby over QPR? Facilities and crowd? QPR give London location, and possibly bigger wages on offer, plus established in the league.

Depends what he's after, what style of play and role he's looking at, and if he has connections at the club or locally, I suppose.

Not easy. Concern is fine, but there's a lot of time yet.

1 minute ago, MaltRam said:

And what sells Derby over QPR? Facilities and crowd? QPR give London location, and possibly bigger wages on offer, plus established in the league.

Depends what he's after, what style of play and role he's looking at, and if he has connections at the club or locally, I suppose.

Not easy. Concern is fine, but there's a lot of time yet.

This.  90% of the time.

IF we have indeed missed out, then without knowing the reasons for doing so I’m not going to worry about it unduly.

Could be financial in that we’ve got budgetary limitations contrary to what Clowes suggested, or could be financial in that another club came in and we weren’t willing to be held to ransom. Could be that he preferred their manager over Warne having perhaps seen more of his career as he’s been managing across Scandinavian football prior to joining QPR. Could be he liked the idea of living in London more than living in Derby and the surrounding area. All hypothetical scenarios with only a select handful privy to the reality of the situation.
Whatever the reasons (if we have missed out) the club and the recruitment staff have to take the loss and move onto the next target in order to get more business done. 

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

What makes you think we cant compete? There is a difference between wanting to pay 800k & being able to afford 800k. Maybe that price is more than we think he is worth & are willing to pay. Doesnt mean we cant afford it, just means we wont overpay on players.

By all accounts it seems like we’ve been scouting him and looking into buying him for a while, with Warne travelling to Denmark to watch him multiple times if ITKs are to believed. That won’t have been cheap. To put that effort in he must have been a key target. If we didn’t think he’s worth £800k then we’re stupid imo, he’s an established international for a mid level side. 

We have a transfer budget, a wage structure and a valuation of players we wish to purchase. We’re not gonna just start chucking extra money at every purchase or we’ll be back in the crap like under Mel. 
If we get him great, but the deal has to be right for DCFC. If it’s not then so be it. It’s not like he’s the only midfielder available. 
Some people really are drama queens about missing out on players they’d never heard of a few weeks ago! 🤣

Posted (edited)

This is where the club should sell itself. I'm probably biased but besides the benefit of living down in London,  Derby would and should be getting any player over QPR...

Use the Knight cash, the Bird cash, Kellyman. Get these deals done and players bedded in during pre season 

Edited by Papahet

No point in worrying about it. Nobody has heard of him and have no idea if he's good or not or will be good in this league.

Just cos it's coming out now, doesn't mean it's just happened either.

For all we know this bid could have been a while ago and we've moved on to Kenzo now.

Plus as other people have said, if we have an amount in mind of what we are happy to pay, I don't want us to get held to ransom. We'll have other targets and we'll move on to them.

18 minutes ago, Papahet said:

This is where the club should sell itself. I'm probably biased but besides the benefit of living down in London,  Derby would and should be getting any player over QPR...

You must enlighten me as to why Derby might be considered a better club than QPR for an established 25yo Pro?

Interesting to be officially linked to him. Thought he looked a live wire in our game vs Iceland last month.

Think he'd be a good signing but overall it's great to be linked to this kind of player again (potential foreign gems e.g. Thordarson, Goudmijn, Kobacki) and even if unsuccessful it's a relief to feel like we're looking for the next big thing in the less fashionable leagues.

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

Interesting to be officially linked to him. Thought he looked a live wire in our game vs Iceland last month.

Think he'd be a good signing but overall it's great to be linked to this kind of player again (potential foreign gems e.g. Thordarson, Goudmijn, Kobacki) and even if unsuccessful it's a relief to feel like we're looking for the next big thing in the less fashionable leagues.

I think that is a good positive to take from these recent links, it seemingly backs up the idea we are taking a fresh approach to our recruitment in looking outside of the UK for talent and value 🤞 

41 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Use the Knight cash, the Bird cash, Kellyman. Get these deals done and players bedded in during pre season 

I disagree, maybe for a British player that wasn’t born or raised in London, but when you’re considering international players then London is the biggest pull of them all. 

The size and history of a club, isn’t going to hold any significance comparatively speaking to the life style of living in West London.

7 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

IF we have indeed missed out, then without knowing the reasons for doing so I’m not going to worry about it unduly.

Could be financial in that we’ve got budgetary limitations contrary to what Clowes suggested, or could be financial in that another club came in and we weren’t willing to be held to ransom. Could be that he preferred their manager over Warne having perhaps seen more of his career as he’s been managing across Scandinavian football prior to joining QPR. Could be he liked the idea of living in London more than living in Derby and the surrounding area. All hypothetical scenarios with only a select handful privy to the reality of the situation.
Whatever the reasons (if we have missed out) the club and the recruitment staff have to take the loss and move onto the next target in order to get more business done. 

One Viking is pretty much like another unless you can get the Beserker !! 

7 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Exactly this mate.

Never ceases to amaze me that some of our fans would happily see us pay over the odds, despite doing that literally had us 5 days from not existing anymore

45 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

No point in worrying about it. Nobody has heard of him and have no idea if he's good or not or will be good in this league.

Just cos it's coming out now, doesn't mean it's just happened either.

For all we know this bid could have been a while ago and we've moved on to Kenzo now.

Plus as other people have said, if we have an amount in mind of what we are happy to pay, I don't want us to get held to ransom. We'll have other targets and we'll move on to them.

Agreed. Talks of scouting him for a while now in Denmark are just speculative, we don’t know who we are looking at. Sounds like he was someone at some point, doesn’t mean there’s not others we were looking at out there and as you say, doesn’t mean we haven’t pivoted to a different option - who could have been more desired to begin with, could turn out to be better etc

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

You must enlighten me as to why Derby might be considered a better club than QPR for an established 25yo Pro?

Stadium, crowds, facilities...

Posted (edited)

The same group of people who had cleverly planned to look further afield, had carefully identified and scouted this player and seemed on the verge of clinchng the deal with this genius signing.

..are also the same short-sighted, penny-pinching, clueless fools taking us back down, all over a few pence.

This is without knowing anything about the truth of any of it,  about a player pretty much no-one has really ever seen play.

It's so reactionary its off the scale, but tbh that makes it less annoying than when we shoot down a signing that we have completed and who we actually do know what they have done in this league.

Edited by Chester40