Favourite Derby County managers

ziggyram59

I’m not disagreeing because I’m the same myself, but it’s odd that none of us are saying Warne.

Likeable bloke, decent man, first promotion in 17 years… nobodies saying him!

And again, I agree with people, I think more favourably of Our Nige despite him being a bit of a dour p****! 

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

I’m not disagreeing because I’m the same myself, but it’s odd that none of us are saying Warne.

And again, I agree with people, I think more favourably of Our Nige despite him being a bit of a dour p****! 

He features quite a few times above, but rightly is being the likes of Cox, Smith and Clough who for now were more successful.

Biggest surprise for me is Mac, bottle job and Newcastle fiasco. (Of course he never instigated any of it 😉)

Cloughie                                                Mackay                                               Smith                                                      Cox                                                       Burley                                                    Clough N

2 hours ago, cannable said:

And again, I agree with people, I think more favourably of Our Nige despite him being a bit of a dour p****

Getting Mason Bennett to jump in a pool to get a brick, despite inability to Swim, pushes him up the list certainly

I think taking a club off it's arse in Division 3 to what would have been trips in Europe to Barcelona in just 5 seasons is quite the achievement.  Cox is the best in my time.  Smith second for a team that almost got into Europe from arse end of Division 2 in 3 seasons. Then Burley for building a very good side from looking down the sofa for change.   

#1 - McClaren. I think age plays a part, the time in your life. Warne got us promoted but this season has felt like the bracket below me’s. I remember Billy’s but was too young to enjoy it. McClaren was here when I was 17/18/19.  We were playing the best football in the league, we were the best team in the league and we were battering everyone. Even in 16/17, he went the other way and made us hard to beat and took us on an ugly winning run! He was harshly sacked for trying to get us playing again! Not to plead a sob story, but I feel like my age bracket missed out on a promotion in our prime match-going years, so McClaren’s what we’ve got. 

#2 - Clough. Yeah, he probably did last longer than most due to his surname. And the product on the pitch was awful at times. But he rehabilitated the club following the Premier League. Some managers might have fluked us up and it been an insta-fix but he nurtured us back to health. He rebuilt the academy. He slashed the wage bill whilst improving us. If he didn’t always produce it, he WANTED good football. The hoodoo over Leeds and wins at THEIR place helped.

#3 - Rooney. Forget his first season, it doesn’t count. He did the job he (or maybe Krystian Bielik) kept us up. Staying up against Wednesday was the first time football felt real again. The following season, the way he galvanised the club was amazing. Winning after administration was announced against Stoke, a thirty minute rendition of We Are Derby in a losing cause at Bramall Lane, the Lawrence goals in the return fixture, beating Bournemouth at home post second deduction before following it up by clinging on at Craven Cottage, delaying relegation on Good Friday against an unstoppable Fulham. 

I'm one of those sad buggers who always support the current manager.

Consequently, my first thoughts upon hearing the news that we had poached Hartlepools United's manager was "I think that we sacked Tim Ward too early. He'd have got us firing next season".

However, I soon came round and threw my hat into the Cloughie ring.

With the benefit of hindsight, for me it has to be

1. Clough & Taylor
  2. Mackay
  3. Arthur Cox
  4. TBE
  5. Nigel (because of the financial restraints he had to work under)