Ben Osborn

Sean

17 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I intentionally didn’t name any particular poster with my comment it was a general view I expressed an opinion on. Didn’t say you or others can’t have reservations, I just said I don’t get the idea of writing players off before they sign, didn’t say it’s not an opinion people can have, didn’t say people can’t have their opinion, just voiced my own opinion that it’s a stance I don’t share or understand. 

However if by sharing my own opinion I’ve somehow caused offence I’ll bow out and you and others can continue with your reservations 🍻 

Keep posting your opinions Caerphilly , you don’t have to justify yourself to other posters 👍🏼

23 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I intentionally didn’t name any particular poster with my comment it was a general view I expressed an opinion on. Didn’t say you or others can’t have reservations, I just said I don’t get the idea of writing players off before they sign, didn’t say it’s not an opinion people can have, didn’t say people can’t have their opinion, just voiced my own opinion that it’s a stance I don’t share or understand. 

However if by sharing my own opinion I’ve somehow caused offence I’ll bow out and you and others can continue with your reservations 🍻 

Stay with us CR….you know it makes sense 😁

9 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Keep posting your opinions Caerphilly , you don’t have to justify yourself to other posters 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Stay with us CR….you know it makes sense 😁

Oh I very much meant on just this particular topic, it wasn’t meant as a flounce or tantrum etc 🤣 

I don’t see an issue in us allegedly being interested in us signing Osborn, others seem to, fair enough. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Adams is fine. Osborn is fine but I seem to remember him being more of a full back. We need 20 goals from midfield though so we need to find two more midfielders to push forward and get at least 15 goals and create them for others.  

20 goals from midfield!!?

In a L1 automatic promotion season, with games in the EFL trophy, our CMs (including Sibley) scored a combined 21 goals. 6 of those were Sibley.

Unless you're expecting a Playoff campaign, we won't need 20 goals from midfield

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

20 goals from midfield!!?

In a L1 automatic promotion season, with games in the EFL trophy, our CMs (including Sibley) scored a combined 21 goals. 6 of those were Sibley.

Unless you're expecting a Playoff campaign, we won't need 20 goals from midfield

Depends how many you concede.  Blackburn scored 60. Plymouth 59 and had a very squeaky arse. Stoke 49, QPR 47. Birmingham down with 50.   We won't have strikers/ wide players  who can score 50- 60 without spending a fair bit, so for my money, we will need those goals. 

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

I agree that Osborn would be a good signing, McKenna too. Solid, proven players at Championship level.

I'm also a fan of Thommo. He's got excellent technical skills and good strength for a small guy. I think he'll continue to improve too.

I like the sound of Osborne even though I can’t remember registering him as “Wow I wish we had him” players who are flexible and adaptable have huge value in long tough seasons and his experience would be invaluable. Agree with you about the improvement thing. Tommo is a season or two behind Birdy in games and learning. Used and coach well he can only get better, which considering he didn’t look out of place last time round in the champ has to be good news. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Depends how many you concede.  Blackburn scored 60. Plymouth 59 and had a very squeaky arse. Stoke 49, QPR 47. Birmingham down with 50.   We won't have strikers/ wide players  who can score 50- 60 without spending a fair bit, so for my money, we will need those goals. 

Playing in a similar manner to last season, we would expect to see a similar distribution on goals per position going forward.

The point I made was that in an automatic promotion campaign with 55 games in all competitions, our midfielders scored 21 goals. 4 of those were from Sibley playing on the wing. In a midtable Championship side, with fewer Cup games, it's very unlikely we will increase out goal output from midfield.

Given Warne's preference for being a threat from set pieces, he'll be looking for 66% of goals from his forwards, 17% from his midfielders and 17% from his defenders and wing backs. Even in a 75 goal season, that's only 13 goals from CMs.

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Playing in a similar manner to last season, we would expect to see a similar distribution on goals per position going forward.

The point I made was that in an automatic promotion campaign with 55 games in all competitions, our midfielders scored 21 goals. 4 of those were from Sibley playing on the wing. In a midtable Championship side, with fewer Cup games, it's very unlikely we will increase out goal output from midfield.

Given Warne's preference for being a threat from set pieces, he'll be looking for 66% of goals from his forwards, 17% from his midfielders and 17% from his defenders and wing backs. Even in a 75 goal season, that's only 13 goals from CMs.

My point is that most teams would expect their forwards to score most of the goals.  Until we get some strikers however, that will only represent a miserly amount of goals without plenty of investment or some very cute signings in the Rasiak form.  We will need goals from midfield in the range of 20 as it stands to get near 50 goals as we have no forward currently who will get 20, probably not 10.

If Warne's after 9 players, and we have very few options in midfield as things stand, this would be a wonderful signing. We're all assuming Osborn would start day one in the team, but with the numbers we need to sign I can easily see him being on the edge of the lineup, like a Korey Smith type of rotation option. If that's the case, I'm all on board.

47 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My point is that most teams would expect their forwards to score most of the goals.  Until we get some strikers however, that will only represent a miserly amount of goals without plenty of investment or some very cute signings in the Rasiak form.  We will need goals from midfield in the range of 20 as it stands to get near 50 goals as we have no forward currently who will get 20, probably not 10.

We'll sign forwards just like we'll sign midfielders. 10 goals is enough from CMs for a 50 goal total

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We need goals from midfield because currently we have no forwards 🤔

NML and CBT should contribute. Depends if you class them as midfielders or forwards though. We will probably play wing backs which means they will be playing off the new number 9.

13 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Depends what you want a midfielder to do, judging a CM just by goal output isn't a great measure of overall ability.

Kind of a problem when you don’t have anyone else who can score and you play five at the back.

4 hours ago, thederbyram said:

If Warne's after 9 players, and we have very few options in midfield as things stand, this would be a wonderful signing. We're all assuming Osborn would start day one in the team, but with the numbers we need to sign I can easily see him being on the edge of the lineup, like a Korey Smith type of rotation option. If that's the case, I'm all on board.

Our midfield would have to be pretty mental for Osborn not be in our starting 11. He is the step above what we have and very solid for the championship. 

8 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Our midfield would have to be pretty mental for Osborn not be in our starting 11. He is the step above what we have and very solid for the championship. 

Agree, and I wouldn't be complaining. But if you believe some of the rumours we could end up with Ebou, Lawal, Baptiste & Osborn as incomings. In that context the signing would be fantastic.

I like Osborn personally but my point is that people might be disappointed if they're viewing him as needing to be our lord and saviour, when he likely wouldn't need to be and could be part of a great set of rotation options.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I apologise - I meant centre forwards 

No apologies needed Sparkle, I did wonder if that's what you meant. If there's any truth to the Mubama rumour, that'd be a step in the right direction. He's a talented lad. Irrespective, I don't doubt for a moment that Warne and co will be trying everything they can to address this, as you know as well as I do that having medium to long-term options has hampered us, even last season where we just about got enough from Dwight Gayle to help see us over the line. Collins may yet accept a shorter deal than he is rumoured to want, but I absolutely agree that it's a shortfall that needs addressing. Hopefully we'll hear something positive once the window opens, though the club is playing its card close to its chest these days. My guess would be that it's PW's top priority in any case.

32 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

Agree, and I wouldn't be complaining. But if you believe some of the rumours we could end up with Ebou, Lawal, Baptiste & Osborn as incomings. In that context the signing would be fantastic.

I like Osborn personally but my point is that people might be disappointed if they're viewing him as needing to be our lord and saviour, when he likely wouldn't need to be and could be part of a great set of rotation options.

Lawal and baptiste would be class