Ben Osborn

Sean

51 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Osborn is more like Liam Thompson in that he's a utility player who does OK, a water carrier for a team, but doesn't offer any great heights - solid and spectacular. Sibbo gives a lot more as a game-changer. Our opinions of Osborn are likely coloured by his one freak goal against us.

Apart from the fact that Thompson doesn’t really do okay. I know he’s ‘one of our own’ and gives 100%, but, other than running around a lot, he’s mid League 1 level at best.

I might get some heat for this view, but be honest, are you happy on the first day of the new Championship season with Thompson in the starting 11, if that’s where we are at, be honest 🤷‍♂️

Again, I’ve no axe to grind with Thompson, he’s clearly Derby through and through and should make a living from the game, but I fear not a player that is going to help us break into the top end of the Champ.

5 hours ago, hales300k said:

A Chad lad born and raised Jimbo ?  From a DCFC family , Scores against us in the 92nd minute in a ****** shirt , i know Osborn left our academy at a young age to go over to the dark side , with Lascelles and one other ? surely basic human morals would tell him to sky that shot over the bar ? Still hurts , not welcome back for me 

Osborn had one season at derby and we released him as a 9 year old he didn’t leave us to sign for forest. Did you seriously expect him to tell forest to p**s off when they came in for him.

I’m pretty sure lascelles was never in our academy though him and Osborn were in the same year at west park school (Spondon school when I were a lad)

1 hour ago, Birdyabroad said:

Apart from the fact that Thompson doesn’t really do okay. I know he’s ‘one of our own’ and gives 100%, but, other than running around a lot, he’s mid League 1 level at best.

I might get some heat for this view, but be honest, are you happy on the first day of the new Championship season with Thompson in the starting 11, if that’s where we are at, be honest 🤷‍♂️

Again, I’ve no axe to grind with Thompson, he’s clearly Derby through and through and should make a living from the game, but I fear not a player that is going to help us break into the top end of the Champ.

I hope he isn't part of our first 11 next season. I do however feel Tommo will be a good player to bring off the bench.

Osborn however would be however part of our starting 11. Ideally in midfield.

7 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

Hummm, he has never been in that position and, other than a younger Fozzy / NML none of our current side have . In the Rooney season he played something like 8 or 9 games on the trot in championship football and gave a good account of himself against all comers, despite being young and inexperienced. His form did dip but he has a good touch and learns with every game. I take your point about being in  a promotion chasing side, that remains to be seen, but Tommo will contribute positively to next seasons side I have no doubts at all. 

7 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

That's because Thompson does the things well that go unnoticed. His "running around" is what motivates his team mates in terms of energy. He's good with the ball at his feet so he's able to break from the midfield into space out wide or further up and switch up the play.  I would go as far as to say he's actually a great option at this level. He's Derby through and through and I'd happily have him in and around the team. Would I start him every week? Probably not. But as it was seen in league 1, we need a squad.. not just resting our hopes solely on 1 option.

There's players who contributed to our season last season who only played a handful of games but were pivitol in what we achieved. Thompson for me fits that description.  Get another good solid option in there to partner Ebou with Thompson and another good option, I'd be more than happy with that. Would also love to see some our academy boys get a chance too. 

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Osborn is more like Liam Thompson in that he's a utility player who does OK, a water carrier for a team, but doesn't offer any great heights - solid and spectacular. Sibbo gives a lot more as a game-changer. Our opinions of Osborn are likely coloured by his one freak goal against us.

One of his very few goals, not why I am not keen….just don’t rate him from what I have seen or his stats. Not sure what the 🤣 are all about 🙄

3 hours ago, SK47 said:

That's because Thompson does the things well that go unnoticed. His "running around" is what motivates his team mates in terms of energy. He's good with the ball at his feet so he's able to break from the midfield into space out wide or further up and switch up the play.  I would go as far as to say he's actually a great option at this level. He's Derby through and through and I'd happily have him in and around the team. Would I start him every week? Probably not. But as it was seen in league 1, we need a squad.. not just resting our hopes solely on 1 option.

There's players who contributed to our season last season who only played a handful of games but were pivitol in what we achieved. Thompson for me fits that description.  Get another good solid option in there to partner Ebou with Thompson and another good option, I'd be more than happy with that. Would also love to see some our academy boys get a chance too. 

Thompson was named man of the match on his first two full games for us a couple of seasons back, and what I noticed is he no longer gets knocked off the ball so easily, is happy with both feet, can beat a man and has the confidence to do that. He rarely drifts out of a game despite being played all over the field. Right now, he is our midfield along with Fornah. And ignoring Joe Ward as a midfielder would be a mistake, his last game and two goals against Portsmouth gave us a glimpse of a different dimension to his game, how he found space in the middle rather than as an overlapping wing-back.

11 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

People had the same view of a certain John Mcgovern , the rest is history

16 hours ago, hales300k said:

A Chad lad born and raised Jimbo ?  From a DCFC family , Scores against us in the 92nd minute in a ****** shirt , i know Osborn left our academy at a young age to go over to the dark side , with Lascelles and one other ? surely basic human morals would tell him to sky that shot over the bar ? Still hurts , not welcome back for me 

You're forgetting one thing. He's a professional footballer and paid to do a professional job.

Would you have been ok with Kris Commons sending one over the bar against Forest costing us points? 

What about Curtis Davies v Leyton Orient?

Will Hughes v Liverpool, shall I go on?

8 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

I have no doubt if Thommo was a starter in our midfield next season that he would  not let us down , very underrated by some on here , his game is a lot more than just running around

Then we'd be carrying another player where we have no goal threat.

The difference between Thommo and Bird in the last game of the season was huge.

6 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Then we'd be carrying another player where we have no goal threat.

The difference between Thommo and Bird in the last game of the season was huge.

Depends what you want a midfielder to do, judging a CM just by goal output isn't a great measure of overall ability.

35 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

I have no doubt if Thommo was a starter in our midfield next season that he would  not let us down , very underrated by some on here , his game is a lot more than just running around

He's underrated by some on here in the same way that Sibley is overrated  by some on here

21 hours ago, Dartmouth Ram said:

Doesn't he have business connections in the Derby area BT? If he does it'd certainly make sense he'd want to stay in the local area rather than just north of London.

He runs an academy/training company called EFD Sport and Education, they do sessions for kids at Eastwood CFC and Leesbrook, he is very often there taking the sessions when he's not playing.  A very likeable guy and well respected coach.  I think he could be a very good signing for us, we are short of experience in the centre and he is a versatile player.

19 hours ago, Kernow said:

This post is a bit contradictory, isn’t it? 350 senior appearances should be a worry? How?

He’s 29, never played below the Championship and had 3 seasons as a fairly regular PL player, albeit for a poor PL side.

For a side coming up from League One, he would be an excellent signing. Experienced at this level without being too old, versatile to cover at least 2 positions that we need to strengthen. If he’s willing to come, it’s a no-brainer for me.

my point was hes played 350 games and nobody knows his best position. the only game hes ever impacted was when we played them and he scored that late winner for forest

i just dont think hes a very good player