People who are universally loved

I have been using Quora for 12+ years, and I love reading about celebrities who do good things and bad things.

I have heard most A-listers slated. And some, seemingly, are utter douches. Although I take the ones that start off with 'It didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine once...." 

But, I have never heard a bad word from anybody who has met any of these four people. In fact, not sure I have even heard any 'my mate says he's a knob' stories either, and they are clearly universally loved.

Paul McCartney

Barrack Obama

Tom Hanks

Robin Williams 

It's a pretty US-centric site, so are there any more, other than David Attenborough, about whom you have heard repeated nice things?

Not that I have heard anything good about DA per se that I can think of. But you could have seen him wearing a split Forest/Leeds shirt, Goosestepping up and down the King's Road dripping in cute, newly-slaughtered bunny rabbit blood and hurling racist obscenities, and I'd still want to hug him. So, he's a given.

Lee Mack. Despite him appearing in 3 major tv productions (Not Going Out, Would I Lie to You and 1% Club) which can sometimes be on same day, no one (myself included) complains. Naturally funny and seems a good bloke.

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I have been using Quora for 12+ years, and I love reading about celebrities who do good things and bad things.

Quora? What’s that? A meat substitute? Never heard of it

20 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Mandela and Ghandi ought to be in the mix

Not sure about Gandhi mate! He was known to be fairly anit-Semitic and was a bit of a knob at a personal level, I think.

And Mandela was involved in a lot of bombings and terrorist attacks.

Both were loved by hundreds of millions, but by no means was it universal.

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I have heard most A-listers slated. And some, seemingly, are utter douches. Although I take the ones that start off with 'It didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine once...." 

But, I have never heard a bad word from anybody who has met any of these four people. In fact, not sure I have even heard any 'my mate says he's a knob' stories either, and they are clearly universally loved.

Paul McCartney

Barrack Obama

Tom Hanks

Robin Williams 

It's a pretty US-centric site, so are there any more, other than David Attenborough, about whom you have heard repeated nice things?

Not that I have heard anything good about DA per se that I can think of. But you could have seen him wearing a split Forest/Leeds shirt, Goosestepping up and down the King's Road dripping in cute, newly-slaughtered bunny rabbit blood and hurling racist obscenities, and I'd still want to hug him. So, he's a given.

That DA sounds a right knob.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Not sure about Gandhi mate! He was known to be fairly anit-Semitic and was a bit of a knob at a personal level, I think.

And Mandela was involved in a lot of bombings and terrorist attacks.

Both were loved by hundreds of millions, but by no means was it universal.

Mandela's a difficult one. There's no evidence he ordered or took part in any attacks that harmed people, and he called a halt to the armed struggle pretty quickly to concentrate on peaceful protest. Eventually, he earned the respect of many who once hated him, except perhaps the real white supremacists - but does their opinion matter?

In general, if someone is hated only by bad people, should that be taken out of the assessment?

37 minutes ago, ramit said:

Clint Eastwood

Has some blots on his copybook - treatment of Sondra Locke rings a bell. Serial adulterer, now a registered libertarian. Hard to imagine that someone isn't a fan.

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

Has some blots on his copybook - treatment of Sondra Locke rings a bell. Serial adulterer, now a registered libertarian. Hard to imagine that someone isn't a fan.

The Good would hold little attraction without the Bad and the Ugly, silly

5 hours ago, Cisse said:

Pele

Muhammad Ali

Elvis

A strange one.  Massive entertainer who got married in South Shields as he liked it and flew over too open a chip shop for DerbyshiresJack Bodell as he liked him.   He didn't like white people for quite a while, fell out with his best mate over it even talking him down when he was assassinated, changed his mind, randomly attended a KKK rally to hear their views on separation - the red birds shouldn't live with Blue birds bit, said some horrendous things about Joe Frazier who'd had a far tougher life than him and who gave him a load of money too bail him out when he couldn't fight,  shagged about, refused the draft that stripped him of his title.  He was certainly never out the news,

An entertainer and 60's icon up their with Neil Armstrong and The Beatles as memorable for that period.  Universally loved though is most certainly a bit rose tinted. 

6 hours ago, ramit said:

The Good would hold little attraction without the Bad and the Ugly, silly

It's fair to question whether those who've known him personally would agree with the public's perception, as it is for anyone in the public eye who's being proposed.