Transfer rumours

11 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Lewis Dobbin has gone to Villa for £10 million . Apart from one wonder goal - he didn’t make much of a impression when playing for us . But it does highlight that the “Purse Strings” will be severely tested in the search for a couple of strikers . 

No it doesn't. It highlights the creative measures teams are going to in order to comply with the PSR in the Premier League.

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

No it doesn't. It highlights the creative measures teams are going to in order to comply with the PSR in the Premier League.

Exactly... Villa pay Everton £10m for an unproven academy product in Dobbin, Everton pay Villa £10m for an unproven academy product in Iroegbunam. How convenient.

For all his faults, Mel Morris pointed out this FFP workaround years ago at one of the fan forums in order to highlight what a nonsense the FFP rules are.

23 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

At one time, some while back, I thought we were going to sign Ian Storey Moore, from Forest, he was even paraded around the BBG at half time. He never did sign for the Rams he went to Man Utd instead.

its strange how even club managers, in this case Sir Brian himself, can be outflanked by a sudden change of events.

Events can change very quickly in Football👍👍

He was outflanked by Ian Storey-Moore’s wife who insisted she wanted him to go to Manure. IIRC he got crocked, career over soon afterwards, so we missed a trick - its normally us who sign a crock!

On 23/06/2024 at 06:43, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Since what bothers me? I clearly stated yesterday that BT shouldn't be removed from the board, his posts are entertaining and fill a dull month...I'm just aware that most of what he says isn't going to happen and its suprisimg how many people hang off his every word.

I just think BT has a better strike rate than the average. That tells me he has a source. That source will have its flaws and failings but it’s closer to the action than many. So by definition he is ITK. Something is either a rumour or a rumour with some substance … Still a rumour, but I’d give BT’s more credence than most 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Lewis Dobbin has gone to Villa for £10 million . Apart from one wonder goal - he didn’t make much of a impression when playing for us . But it does highlight that the “Purse Strings” will be severely tested in the search for a couple of strikers . 

Dobbin wasn’t really a Warne player but will suit Villa’s style much better. Villa play with inverted wingers who cut inside and make space with the overlapping full backs creating an overload. Warne wanted Dobbin to stay out wide and get crosses in like an old fashioned winger. Just wasn’t Dobbin. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Yeah it does and fair play to them. These PSR rules need looking at as they only suit the top 6.

Funnily enough the clubs that were mentioned by Sky as having to sell players before June were Villa, Everton and Chelsea (amongst others) You have that Tim Iroegbunam who has played 12 times for Villa in 2 years go for £10 million, Dobbin who can't get in a struggling Everton tam move to a champions league club in Aston Villa for £10 million and then you have Omari Kelleyman, who is 18 years old, played under 21s football and has a current market value of £850k move to Chelsea for £19 million all before the end of June. Then you have Maatsen going from Chelsea to Villa for £37.5 million.

Iroegbunam will probably not get in Evertons side and I have more chance of starting for Villa next season than Dobbin does. 

All players are classed as homegrown and are all moving before the end of June. 

The fact they have to do this to satisfy these PSR rules highlights that they are a bit of a joke and need to be seriously looked at.

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Yeah it does and fair play to them. These PSR rules need looking at as they only suit the top 6.

Funnily enough the clubs that were mentioned by Sky as having to sell players before June were Villa, Everton and Chelsea (amongst others) You have that Tim Iroegbunam who has played 12 times for Villa in 2 years go for £10 million, Dobbin who can't get in a struggling Everton tam move to a champions league club in Aston Villa for £10 million and then you have Omari Kelleyman, who is 18 years old, played under 21s football and has a current market value of £850k move to Chelsea for £19 million all before the end of June. Then you have Maatsen going from Chelsea to Villa for £37.5 million.

Iroegbunam will probably not get in Evertons side and I have more chance of starting for Villa next season than Dobbin does. 

All players are classed as homegrown and are all moving before the end of June. 

The fact they have to do this to satisfy these PSR rules highlights that they are a bit of a joke and need to be seriously looked at.

They absolutely do need looking at, because when you consider the knock-on affect this is going to have on youth development and player welfare in this country, it has the potential to be a massively destructive force. 

Premier League clubs will start hoovering up more talent and hold bigger academy squads, because they will be able to use these as financial pawns later down the line because of the 'loophole' so even for players who probably aren't going to make it at the top level, i.e. Dobbin, then you can still move them on for big money because of an accounting policy. Kellyman was showing a lot of potential so that makes sense, but he joins a Chelsea squad that's deeper in young talent that any other club in the entire world. 

The Premier League really need to consider the ramifications of their FFP model because this really is a toxic and clubs using young players as pawns for accounting reasons, self-imposed accounting reasons, isn't doing anything. The only way you can stop the ludicrous politics in football is bring in a hard-cap, otherwise you have all different teams working to all different parameters, pushing to compete and using any workaround they can find - to what end? 

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

They absolutely do need looking at, because when you consider the knock-on affect this is going to have on youth development and player welfare in this country, it has the potential to be a massively destructive force. 

Premier League clubs will start hoovering up more talent and hold bigger academy squads, because they will be able to use these as financial pawns later down the line because of the 'loophole' so even for players who probably aren't going to make it at the top level, i.e. Dobbin, then you can still move them on for big money because of an accounting policy. Kellyman was showing a lot of potential so that makes sense, but he joins a Chelsea squad that's deeper in young talent that any other club in the entire world. 

The Premier League really need to consider the ramifications of their FFP model because this really is a toxic and clubs using young players as pawns for accounting reasons, self-imposed accounting reasons, isn't doing anything. The only way you can stop the ludicrous politics in football is bring in a hard-cap, otherwise you have all different teams working to all different parameters, pushing to compete and using any workaround they can find - to what end? 

I could not agree more with this mate

1 hour ago, jono said:

I just think BT has a better strike rate than the average. That tells me he has a source. That source will have its flaws and failings but it’s closer to the action than many. So by definition he is ITK. Something is either a rumour or a rumour with some substance … Still a rumour, but I’d give BT’s more credence than most 

Absolutely!

Within this using young players as pawns, you need to consider they have contracts.  No one can make them go.  At no stage would Villa sell Kellyman to Chelsea against his wishes or say we're letting you go on a free as you can't cut it. From what i'm gathering You could be totally abject under this system and be well on your way to a League 1/2 career.  All of a sudden you get offered a 2 million sign on fee to go to Chelsea.  Far from being pawns if you 18 and a footballer, you can now make millions off a few years picking splinters out your arse if you get into an academy and get that first professional contract.  They'll be loving it. 

25 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Within this using young players as pawns, you need to consider they have contracts.  No one can make them go.  At no stage would Villa sell Kellyman to Chelsea against his wishes or say we're letting you go on a free as you can't cut it. From what i'm gathering You could be totally abject under this system and be well on your way to a League 1/2 career.  All of a sudden you get offered a 2 million sign on fee to go to Chelsea.  Far from being pawns if you 18 and a footballer, you can now make millions off a few years picking splinters out your arse if you get into an academy and get that first professional contract.  They'll be loving it. 

Players have to make what they can in a 10 year career or till a bad injury ends it . But I still can’t get my head around Bird going to Bristol City . By the way the Prem will be changing all the rules again before we get there. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Football clubs are more than happy to make the life of a young kid an absolute misery if they decide to go against their wishes. The amount of podcasts regarding ex players and how they were treated at different stages of their career - it's got a very real dark-side to the game that the fans really don't know too much about. 

So, yes, in theory they have a choice but in practice they absolutely don't. They get told they're moving, they're moving - especially in this instance where the club could very well receive a point deductions and fines off the back of you saying you don't want to move. It would turn the entire club on them. 

They're transferring to allow the club to make other signings, ironically. The contracts won't be worth too much either, as these transfers are purely transactional. In some cases they may make more money out of it, but more often that not I'd imagine the offer on the table is the exact same as the one at the previous club. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Omari Kellyman has certainly had a very early couple of lessons in football transfer and accounting policy - moved on to Villa against his wishes (if Rooney was right) because we needed the cash to keep the club afloat and now moved to Chelsea from a CL club that obviously thought something of him to a club with no reputation for bringing young home grown players through and a academy full of prospects. And all for PSR reasons.

It probably isn’t the dream he first had when he joined our academy.

I saw a young man, about 20 years of age, wearing a full Reading FC tracksuit in Asda Spondon. I thought "ooh, wonder who this is, some young Reading players coming to sign for Derby"

Then thought about it longer, and asked myself, if a player is coming to sign for Derby, why would they a) wear their current training gear and b) be doing a full shop with a trolly in Spondon?