Transfer rumours

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My main frustration is with us shopping in the same market as the rest of the division for a very small number of players (PL loans). These players may be of a reasonable standard and easy to judge how they'll settle in this league, but they'll have a £500k wage cost, and possibly another £500k loan fee on top.

For that £1m we could shop abroad, find a promising young forward from an unwanted league and face zero competition. You'd be able to find one for £200-500k somewhere, with the rest going to wages. Even if they fail to adapt to the Championship straight away, we can either sell them on or loan to L1 to buy them time.

Someone like Alex Tamm fits the bill. Very much an all round forward - shooting, creativity, dribbling, aerial presence, and pressing. Only 23, but out of contract in November so a small fee to get him in now (Transfermarkt value him at £380k). 84 goal involvements in 3 years, even if it is in Estonian football, would almost guarantee a buyer after a spell with us.

I share this frustration, especially when we've evidenced with Kenzo and JWZ that value can be found abroad.

However, I can't help but feel the admin 'hangover' is still having an impact here, our scouting network still not being fully back up and running.

I do also think there's an element of us being risk-averse too. 

Edited by Animal is a Ram

12 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I share this frustration, especially when we've evidenced with Kenzo and JWZ that value can be found abroad.

However, I can't help but feel the admin 'hangover' is still having an impact here, our scouting network still not being fully back up and running.

I do also think there's an element of us being risk-averse too. 

Hopefully they are good value but as yet we really don’t know 

3 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-rowett-derby-county-column-9503348

Yes, I'm sure some will call him the 🐍 - but I think this was an interesting read. A lot of points resonating with what posters have said here.

Nice to see he’s doing what he does best - talking a good game in the media.

19 minutes ago, Crewton said:

He's not likely to be "unnoticed" having played and scored for the Estonian national team, so I wonder why no-one is seemingly interested in him in Europe?

I would hazard a guess at people not risking the quality of the Estonian league and that the Estonian national team hasn't qualified for a tournament, ever

27 minutes ago, Crewton said:

He's not likely to be "unnoticed" having played and scored for the Estonian national team, so I wonder why no-one is seemingly interested in him in Europe?

There has been a bit of interest, but none willing to take that leap of faith. He had a loan to Zurich U21s when 18. Within the last 18 months he's had a few trials - the only named clubs I can find are Viktoria Plzen and Stade de Reims.

I'd say a better fit for Warne's style of play is Jovo Lukic from the Bosnian League. He isn't a creative forward (but still finished last season with 6 assists). He's a monster in the air and does a lot of the dirty defensive work Warne craves from his forwards. 2 goals in his 1 league game this season.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

I'd love to get Mark Thomas in a room with Joe McClaren. Fight over which mundane signing we can find.

To be fair, it's difficult for us fans to correctly point the finger at. It could be that we won't sign anyone we haven't watched at least once in person, in which case the budget doesn't stretch far enough to watch every league in Europe. It could be that someone at the club wants us to focus on the Scandinavian and Northern Europe market. Or, it could be someone else at the club wanting a high proportion of the squad made up of domestic signings to reduce the risk of the player(s) needing time to settle.

Perhaps the strategy for this year is as simple as has been suggested. Stabilise with a high proportion of low risk signings to ensure we stay up, then once a solid core is in place we can 'gamble' on signings a tad more.

6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I had a strange dream once where we had a bald manager doing a squad rebuild in the Championship. It was so far fetched a dream that we actually bought the captain of Croatia. Ridiculous, I know.

Yeah Boban would have been a great signing

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My main frustration is with us shopping in the same market as the rest of the division for a very small number of players (PL loans). These players may be of a reasonable standard and easy to judge how they'll settle in this league, but they'll have a £500k wage cost, and possibly another £500k loan fee on top.

For that £1m we could shop abroad, find a promising young forward from an unwanted league and face zero competition. You'd be able to find one for £200-500k somewhere, with the rest going to wages. Even if they fail to adapt to the Championship straight away, we can either sell them on or loan to L1 to buy them time.

Someone like Alex Tamm fits the bill. Very much an all round forward - shooting, creativity, dribbling, aerial presence, and pressing. Only 23, but out of contract in November so a small fee to get him in now (Transfermarkt value him at £380k). 84 goal involvements in 3 years, even if it is in Estonian football, would almost guarantee a buyer after a spell with us.

Only problem with Alex Tamms is it’s very hard to judge, based on league rankings Estonia ranks 44th which for reference is 11 places behind Ireland which is 33rd, a lot of the Irish leagues best players go to mid to lower league one sides. 

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Only problem with Alex Tamms is it’s very hard to judge, based on league rankings Estonia ranks 44th which for reference is 11 places behind Ireland which is 33rd, a lot of the Irish leagues best players go to mid to lower league one sides. 

I agree with that. But, how many times have we said how nice would it be to sign a player before the likes of Peterborough sign them first? To sign a player for £200k only to sell them for 10x as much.

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Related to John Tamms ? .....bet he's a Sharpe shooter !