Transfer rumours

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

They aren't unicorns either. 

Why are other clubs that aren't swimming in the big bucks able to make signings in good time?

I don't mean this to be snarky, but out of curiosity, which player that has gone elsewhere would you have been excited by here?

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'll wait to hear the context of the interview with Dom, but suspect this is somewhat of a crisis meeting based on missed targets and the club not getting things over the line (as touched on by Dom in his replies). Objectively speaking, we are one of the weakest sides in the league and I think there is a deep concern from the management/coaching staff that the team is simply lacks depth & quality to avoid a dog fight at this level. 

The question is now, what do we have to fall back on in terms of recruitment - simply put: have we done enough to access other targets? Do the club throw money at it now in the final week to try and plug the gaps in quality with players they can get into the building quickly. Do we just go with what we have, in the knowledge that if we are relegated at the end of the season we simply haven't killed ourselves financially and rebuild again in the summer?

Realistically, we are lightyears away from being able to compete at the top end of this level so I wouldn't want us to kill ourselves financially or burden David Clowes more than he already has done. Frustratingly, I do think the sensible play is to suck it up, chalk it up to not doing enough within our recruitment strategy and brace ourselves for potentially another stint in the third tier. 

Why do you suspect it’s a crisis meeting when it’s been explained on several occasions that the same personnel have regular meetings to discuss recruitment.

On 21/08/2024 at 12:33, Eoghan1884 said:

Wonder if the club have gone even more secretive than before. @SECornerRAM has even been quiet lately. 

apologies i've been away for the last week or so 

I haven't heard much significant so far - Cooper has been training with us for about a week but can't see him signing unless wage demands were significantly lower. His demands were circa 25k a week initially (not sure if his has already been mentioned) 

1 hour ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

We are not in a league 1 anymore and PW does have a reputation, I will concede that his record in the Championship is not great but you have to take into consideration the budget the he was given to consolidate his Championship position in the past.

PW comes across as a genuine sort of guy with a plan  and I think this, along with Derbys excellent facilities, makes us a fairly attractive club to play for.

Personally I am happy to take a long term approach to returning to the Premiership, we don’t want to become a YOYO club.

I’d take Yo yo to the premiership immediately but not the yo yo to league one thanks 

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I don't mean this to be snarky, but out of curiosity, which player that has gone elsewhere would you have been excited by here?

Either of Blackburn's forwards, Sorensen to Portsmouth (purely because its an exotic, creative signing) and Langstaff to name a few.

If i had confidence in our recruitment then there's the likes of Coburn, Stewart and Ali Hamidi who could end up at a championship club, but do i think we'll get any of these? No.

Paul warnes key points from his interview with Dom on BBC Radio Derby

Still wants another midfielder which he feels we are “a long way down the line” with. 

Still wants another defender and striker. 

Meeting with Mark Thomas, Stephen Pearce and David Clowes today on the plan for the last week of the window. 

“We will definitely sign players before the window shuts”

Can get lesser players now but really wants to hold out to get better players. There is still a player who’s been on his “A” list for a long while and it’s a loan striker whose club needs to sign one before we could get him. 

Then on injuries 

As we know Cash is out w concussion, could be back for Bristol it sounds.

Kane will be back for Cardiff after the internationals 

Jake Rooney isn’t as bad as first though and will be back sooner than we thought. 

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Paul warnes key points from his interview with Dom on BBC Radio Derby

Still wants another midfielder which he feels we are “a long way down the line” with. 

Still wants another defender and striker. 

Meeting with Mark Thomas, Stephen Pearce and David Clowes today on the plan for the last week of the window. 

“We will definitely sign players before the window shuts”

Can get lesser players now but really wants to hold out to get better players. There is still a player who’s been on his “A” list for a long while and it’s a loan striker whose club needs to sign one before we could get him. 

Then on injuries 

As we know Cash is out w concussion, could be back for Bristol it sounds.

Kane will be back for Cardiff after the internationals 

Jake Rooney isn’t as bad as first though and will be back sooner than we thought. 

Perhaps the forward is Woodrow?

1 minute ago, Foreveram said:

Why do you suspect it’s a crisis meeting when it’s been explained on several occasions that the same personnel have regular meetings to discuss recruitment.

I'm listening to the interview now, but was on Dom's tweet: 'you'll hear his take on it shortly on the Rams Daily, but on what he says, yes [missing targets and having to move on to others]. 

Crisis meeting is obviously strongly worded, but more of a case of having a meeting with everyone to put every consideration on the table. 

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

...and they would be?

Personally, I was disappointed with missing out on Dembelle. Sure he's relatively unproven, but those that are proven cost £££, so any unproven gem with potential is a risk. Given our potential financial position, I would say it's possibly not a risk for us, but for those who could afford the risk. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How should we know, but surely they'd be worth signing?

How can you say surely if we don't know who? 

Chances are some of them didn't fit Warne's criteria, or weren't interested afterwards, or we liked but couldn't afford.

It's a bit like doing house viewings, some look good on paper, but don't pass closer inspection, aren't worth the asking price, or you just don't get a good gut feeling, or simply get outbid.

1 minute ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Personally, I was disappointed with missing out on Dembelle. Sure he's relatively unproven, but those that are proven cost £££, so any unproven gem with potential is a risk. Given our potential financial position, I would say it's possibly not a risk for us, but for those who could afford the risk. 

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with that one, but my guess was QPR just offered more money or were happy to take on permanently which we weren't

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Dom’s tweet doesn’t fill me with confidence. 

Brain trust meeting where a long term loan striker is being discussed. What about the two other players we need? What if this long term target doesn’t come good?

What if....what if....what if!

Why not wait and see what happens? Neither you nor I will change it.