Transfer rumours

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

They aren’t really stories are they, just vague, non committal statements on players we have already been linked with…..but plenty of other interest. Percy is the one I take notice of…….and our Simmo of course 😊

Never are, I’ll be very surprised if it’s a new name 

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

DCFC are never going to tell us what the budget is , the same as they won’t tell us where the Knight , Bird , Sell-On money went . They don’t have to . But Middlesboro are a Mid-Table club and they have just bought a striker from Man City for £4 mill. Our jaws would drop if we paid that .

Not to mention the jaw of the taxman 

57 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

That’s not £4 mill though, is it ? And I will believe it when I see him in a Rams shirt. 

Not exactly £4m no, but you know what I mean 😄 there's room to manoeuvre, else we wouldn't be spending that much on a keeper. Still wonder if the Ozoh deal was paid for by money they owe us.

5 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

DCFC are never going to tell us what the budget is , the same as they won’t tell us where the Knight , Bird , Sell-On money went . They don’t have to . But Middlesboro are a Mid-Table club and they have just bought a striker from Man City for £4 mill. Our jaws would drop if we paid that .

Let’s stop seeing transfer fees as money spent, for one. Middlesbrough have just invested £4m on an intangible asset, who by all accounts has fantastic potential. If he does well, even if above average at this level, the likelihood is that £4m investment returns a very healthy profit. 

We don’t know what our budget is, but by the sounds of it we are going to be spending the majority of it on the loan market - which will allow us to plug the gap of quality for this coming season. 

I will make this one critique of Clowes’ under his ownership of Derby County, at first team level we have become a massively short-term thinning club. We have invested money in the here and now, older players on 1,2 year deals, which I sort of got as we were in League One and wanted a quick return. However, we have done the same again this season: only Goudmijn and Zetterstrom will represent investments. Yates and Ozoh are both loans. Osborn, Jackson and Adams are for short-term pick ups, i.e little resale value. Pearce seemed to indicate we would just be in the loan market now. 

We may make 10-12 signings this summer and only two can be considered investments. I personally don’t think that’s how a smart club operates. I know we are trying to change that approach and have made efforts - but the results clearly fly in the face of what we are trying to do. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Let’s stop seeing transfer fees as money spent, for one. Middlesbrough have just invested £4m on an intangible asset, who by all accounts has fantastic potential. If he does well, even if above average at this level, the likelihood is that £4m investment returns a very healthy profit. 

We don’t know what our budget is, but by the sounds of it we are going to be spending the majority of it on the loan market - which will allow us to plug the gap of quality for this coming season. 

I will make this one critique of Clowes’ under his ownership of Derby County, at first team level we have become a massively short-term thinning club. We have invested money in the here and now, older players on 1,2 year deals, which I sort of got as we were in League One and wanted a quick return. However, we have done the same again this season: only Goudmijn and Zetterstrom will represent investments. Yates and Ozoh are both loans. Osborn, Jackson and Adams are for short-term pick ups, i.e little resale value. Pearce seemed to indicate we would just be in the loan market now. 

We may make 10-12 signings this summer and only two can be considered investments. I personally don’t think that’s how a smart club operates. I know we are trying to change that approach and have made efforts - but the results clearly fly in the face of what we are trying to do. 

Yep, sell on value vital 😊

16 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It might make sense if (and it's a big if I admit), we're just plugging a short term gap whilst our rebuilt academy starts producing players for the first team.

40 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It might make sense if (and it's a big if I admit), we're just plugging a short term gap whilst our rebuilt academy starts producing players for the first team.

The academy can supplement the first-team, especially a high achieving one but it is extremely, extremely unlikely to be the main source of talent. Recruitment at academy level is important and it sounds like we are working hard on that. 

I just find the approach to the first team recruitment a little frustrating. It seems like they have a very good idea of they want, but clearly haven’t been able to implement it as well as they would’ve liked. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

The academy can supplement the first-team, especially a high achieving one but it is extremely, extremely unlikely to be the main source of talent. Recruitment at academy level is important and it sounds like we are working hard on that. 

I just find the approach to the first team recruitment a little frustrating. It seems like they have a very good idea of they want, but clearly haven’t been able to implement it as well as they would’ve liked. 

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whose first team?

I originally meant ours but of course it's plausible to develop some players with a view to selling on if they don't fit.

Some genuine profits from the academy would enable more longer term investments, which by their nature are "riskier". Short term hires/transfers in with 0 or little capital outlay is a low-risk strategy, but with correspondingly little upside potential.

Alan Nixon :

Luton Town have big interest in strikers Joe Taylor and Cauley Woodrow - as Rob Edwards looks for his own reinforcements.

Taylor is being chased by several clubs but Huddersfield are the most keen and could even try to buy him.

Experienced Woodrow has come on to Derby’s radar and may also leave. But the Hatters are trying to sign a forward before letting any go

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

Would rather Taylor than Woodrow, and if heading to league one we should be able to beat Huddersfield to him.

think we possibly need a bigger forward than that though. Someone to hold the ball up.

Yep, if we don’t sign another player to get Taylor it would be worth it.