UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

So it's the players fault they are all playing terribly, nothing to do with the manager, his tactics or coaching.  Why bother having one at all?

He changed nothing. And got incredibly lucky...  except he has better players to allow him to be lucky and do exactly what saved him, but he's inhibiting that ability. 

Anyway. Pointless because you're as clueless as him.

😂 

You're right, why would I put trust in a man that has now reached two quarter finals, a semi final and final in his last 4 major tournaments, when I could listen to experts like you on an internet forum?

Performances have been poor but we qualified top of the group unbeaten and despite another bad performance we've dug in and beat a team that, just last week, beat the team ranked 3rd in the FIFA world rankings.

To be honest it's probably best that we got knocked out. Southgate is now making the whole setup too divisive and 'supporters' such as yourself really don't deserve us winning anything.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've followed England home and away (for a period of about 8 years) and on the whole have had nothing but positive experiences.

There was the time when the 'I would rather be a p**I than a Turk' was sung by a few morons.

Beyond that I've never encountered any racism.

They must have all gone to Brazil!

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Southgate has said how important the support is and I think it's quite clear that the players are not oblivious to the current online vitriol.

I accept you have the right to criticise anyone and anything, just the same as I have the right to call you out over it.

I’m sure the support in the ground is very important, I’m disappointed at some of what I’ve seen from the fans this tournament. I’d hope the players are keeping away from social media, but even if not, I very much doubt they’re reading DCFC Fans.

You can call me out on whatever, I’m just saying you’re wrong to suggest Southgate has done anything guy a horrific job so far this tournament. He’s been very lucky and has been dug out by the quality in his squad.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

They must have all gone to Brazil!

Don't think it's any secret that we have a lot of pissed up idiots but can honestly say I don't think racism is one of the big problems amongst the fans.

Also fair to say that we do travel in large numbers and I'm sure I only actually encounter a small percentage if of the fans that travel.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m sure the support in the ground is very important, I’m disappointed at some of what I’ve seen from the fans this tournament. I’d hope the players are keeping away from social media, but even if not, I very much doubt they’re reading DCFC Fans.

You can call me out on whatever, I’m just saying you’re wrong to suggest Southgate has done anything guy a horrific job so far this tournament. He’s been very lucky and has been dug out by the quality in his squad.

Performances have been poor.

In terms of tournament performance he has done exactly what he has been paid to do so far.

I think Southgate’s a good leader and builds a good team spirit without any cliques.  I do think he’s too rigid tactically.  The current players are amongst the best in the world and I think he’s stifling them.  I also think he’s trying to shoehorn both Foden and Bellingham into the team in the same way Sven did with Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes.  He needs to go with one.

I’m not convinced he trusts those on the bench.  Roughly half of the squad is new.  I don’t think he has the courage to give Gordon, Eze or Palmer a go from the start.  Because of that, he keeps with the same 9 or 10 every game.  Take the leap of faith and bring one of them in for something a bit different.

Watching that match reminded me of a film. So I had to go off and watch it straight away.

Mike Bassett: England manager.

it made a great double bill. In that they scrape through a group with a bore draw and luckily the other results go for them. And there’s a whole bunch of similarities to fan and press reactions. It was eerily familiar.

and in the end he flukes his way to a semi final, and he’s hailed a hero for equalling our best effort since we won the World Cup.

i can see us scraping our way to the semi or even final, given our draw. And that’s what will go down in the history books.

am I right in saying we were a bit rubbish in the groups in 66. But no one remembers that. We shouldn’t even have won the final, but for a Russian linesman, but we try hard not to mention that.

i have no idea if that means I’m supportive of Southgate or not, at 93 minutes Id come to terms with the idea of throwing in the towel and forgetting all about this stupid tournament. But if we can get ourselves to the final, then who knows what could happen there. And that’s all that will be remembered. And Southgate will go down as a legend with a semi, final, and at least two quarters under his belt. 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

His 7 knockout wins have been Colombia, Sweden, Ukraine, Germany (H), Denmark (H), Senegal and Slovakia.

This is where perspective needs put in place before we start lauding Southgate something he isn’t.

There isn’t a single game there that we shouldn’t have won given our squad and the opponents.

55 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

His 7 knockout wins have been Colombia, Sweden, Ukraine, Germany (H), Denmark (H), Senegal and Slovakia.

This is where perspective needs put in place before we start lauding Southgate something he isn’t.

There isn’t a single game there that we shouldn’t have won given our squad and the opponents.

More perspective

1968 to 2016 is 48 years, 25 tournaments

2018 to 2024 is 6 years, 4 tournaments

Edited by G STAR RAM

The players just aren't at it, are they? People want to believe that it's Southgate telling the players to move the ball slowly, telling the players to stop moving and showing for the ball or getting at/beyond players like he's controlling them via a remote control. 

It's very evident now that the team is just mentally and physically fatigued.

Truthfully, how much impact do people anticipate the international manager to have on? At club level it can obviously make a huge difference, because you're working with players on a daily basis with numerous on & off-field factors, but at international level unless you're making outrageous team selections (which he isn't) then the impact is negligible. He's nothing more than a scapegoat.

16 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The players just aren't at it, are they? People want to believe that it's Southgate telling the players to move the ball slowly, telling the players to stop moving and showing for the ball or getting at/beyond players like he's controlling them via a remote control. 

It's very evident now that the team is just mentally and physically fatigued.

Truthfully, how much impact do people anticipate the international manager to have on? At club level it can obviously make a huge difference, because you're working with players on a daily basis with numerous on & off-field factors, but at international level unless you're making outrageous team selections (which he isn't) then the impact is negligible. He's nothing more than a scapegoat.

Bloody hell, don't try and deflect criticism away from Southgate, you'll be lynched. 

These players are world class but apparently aren't capable of putting in World class performances unless Southgate tells them how. 

Got it?