UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Spain pressed us high up the pitch, we didn't do enough to break it. 

Was this down to the players not knowing how to break the press or was it down to how the manager wanted the players to play.

Many of our players regularly have to deal with and beat a high press during a regular season. So why couldn't they do it when playing for England? 

I can only conclude it must be down to how the manager is asking the team to play.

11 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

To be fair, from the quarters onwards, the rest days between games seemed totally random and not obviously geared towards favouring the teams who had earned an advantage by finishing higher in the groups

All in all though -hard  to argue that Spain didn't deserve that. Best team in the competition by a mile. If we'd won it would have been total pants-down s**thousery on our part

Which is exactly what I said in my first post. The post you're replying to is an observation, not a suggestion that it would have changed the result of this one.

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If Southgate is still manager by the next round of international fixtures then Harry Kane will 100% be starting.

I doubt he will be manager. He has worked miracles but he can’t get us to the next level.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because he wasn't being given the ball, well except for Pickford trying to kick deep to him. And another comment about Saka not finding Kane in the box because of Kane not trying, well Saka's crossing was none existant all game and Harry was in the middle, but yet again no passes came to him.

It was Foden. And Kane wasn't in the middle. They just showed it again. He was ambling in at crawl. 

How would people give him the ball when he's stood like a statue. And when he did get the ball he lost it. 

He didn't win a single challenge. 

Through the tournament there was some good deliveries into the box and Kane never attacked the front post, he held his ground predictably hoping for pull back (like the one he didn't bust a gut for). 

He barely touches the ball and that's not everyone else's fault all the time. It's because he's been a statue. He's been awful and it's not down to everyone else to do all his pressing and to create space for him. Did he ever stretch play? Work a channel? Play like a target man? Offer runs behind that are either dummies or genuine outballs? No. He played at walking pace, gave the ball away and couldn't have been any easier to mark. 

Southgate hinted at it. Every pundit has pointed it out. 

I keep reading about England's "world-class" players. Who exactly are they? I'd suggest only Bellingham is anywhere near that status -  with Foden and Palmer with potential to reach that level. World-class players produce in the big tournaments and when it really matters!

Overall, performances at this tournament have been disappointing. 

The biggest positives I can take are that we took some brilliant penalties against Switzerland and we beat a genuinely decent side in the Dutch which IMO was our best tournament win for over two decades.

But when it comes to digest, we largely looked disjointed, stumbled through two knockout games and if it wasn't for some late individual quality from Bellingham and Saka, would have gone out in quite embarrassing fashion.

It was a tournament of individual moments for us. 

We played better in 2022 IMO.

22 minutes ago, KBB said:

Anyone think if the FA asked Klopp to be England manger he would fancy it?

Any other managers out there worth a shot? 

Being an national manager, and playing tournament football is entirely different to being a team manager.

I'd like someone with experience of being that kind of leader.

My choice would have been Roberto Martinez, but he's only 6 months into his contract with Portugal, so can't see that happening.

2 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Well what I’m saying is Spain would have won if they had played their semifinal at dinner time today.

I said earlier they were deserving winners.

33 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Anyone remember Euro 96? 30 years of hurt.

World Cup 26 that will now be 60 years of hurt.

Bugger, I feel old now.

I wonder whether I'll see Derby (other than promotion) or England win anything in my lifetime?

F-ing hell that's depressing. I'll be nearly 50 by then.

7 minutes ago, Alph said:

It was Foden. And Kane wasn't in the middle. They just showed it again. He was ambling in at crawl. 

How would people give him the ball when he's stood like a statue. And when he did get the ball he lost it. 

He didn't win a single challenge. 

Through the tournament there was some good deliveries into the box and Kane never attacked the front post, he held his ground predictably hoping for pull back (like the one he didn't bust a gut for). 

He barely touches the ball and that's not everyone else's fault all the time. It's because he's been a statue. He's been awful and it's not down to everyone else to do all his pressing and to create space for him. Did he ever stretch play? Work a channel? Play like a target man? Offer runs behind that are either dummies or genuine outballs? No. He played at walking pace, gave the ball away and couldn't have been any easier to mark. 

Southgate hinted at it. Every pundit has pointed it out. 

Nope.

He played some of the best midfield balls for us all tournament. Ridiculous that he kept having to drop deep to get the ball. Somewhat like wondering why we didn't see the best of Bellingham or Foden isn't it. 😄

Proud of them for getting to final never thought we wud win it played poor all tournament time for new manager but on plus side can go back to debating derby's new keeper and wether ebou will sign swings ans roundabouts I guess 

23 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It will be "coming home" in 2028 when the Euros returns to England and the UK. Hosting a tournament is the only way it can actually come home.

The Euros may be coming to the UK in 2028. As we've decided not to take automatic qualification with being one of the host nations. We may not even play in them.

8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Southgate out.

Nice bloke. Created a good environment, decent record.

Not go what it takes to take us to the next level. Negative,  too loyal to the star players.

Get on bended knee to Klopp.

I would love to see Klopp, Pep or Ancelotti as national team managers to see what they could achieve.

For France preferably. 

24 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Being an national manager, and playing tournament football is entirely different to being a team manager.

I'd like someone with experience of being that kind of leader.

My choice would have been Roberto Martinez, but he's only 6 months into his contract with Portugal, so can't see that happening.

Why would we want Martinez? Another manager who hadn't got the bottle to drop his underperforming stars.