UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

How many chances did we actually create? I can only really remember the Palmer shot at the end as being anything approaching a decent chance....

Gallagher had a header which was a good chance but sadly his head missed the ball    James Collins would have made a better fist of it 

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

How many chances did we actually create? I can only really remember the Palmer shot at the end as being anything approaching a decent chance....

Saka had the ball in the net first half. Kane inches away from getting on the end of a cross. Seem to remember a header from a corner coming close in the second half as well.

Slim pickings though.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

31 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wasn’t a knockout game. Argentina failed to get out of the group.

The much fancied Argentina didn't get out the group as we beat them comfortably with a great performance. Mainly because Nicky Butt played at the back of midfield whilst the tactically woeful Gerrard was injured.

Your point is a bit boring really though. "England are no good as they never beat top 8 sides in knockout matches on foreign soil. I don't count group wins against teams amongst the pre-tournament favourites as real wins."

1 minute ago, Day said:

I just want a few more oooh and arrrr moments that put me on the edge of the seat.

The results are fine, they’ve got the job done but there’s no excitement, nothing to rate the heart rate.

It’s not s***, it’s just boring right now.

Just for a bit of arguments sake though I will add this, we ended up being in a bit of a boring group where everyone was ‘10 men behind the ball’ and squeeze the game into the middle of the pitch. Dare I say it ended up being a bit Championship? You still need to break down those defences, but I think we will find more space in our attacking areas once the knockout games start. We’ve been professional so far, which unfortunately not many will point out, but we just need that extra bit of magic (and width!) to maybe get us to through the next stages.

54 minutes ago, Day said:

I just want a few more oooh and arrrr moments that put me on the edge of the seat.

The results are fine, they’ve got the job done but there’s no excitement, nothing to rate the heart rate.

It’s not s***, it’s just boring right now.

It is you know, it really is.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

The much fancied Argentina didn't get out the group as we beat them comfortably with a great performance. Mainly because Nicky Butt played at the back of midfield whilst the tactically woeful Gerrard was injured.

Your point is a bit boring really though. "England are no good as they never beat top 8 sides in knockout matches on foreign soil. I don't count group wins against teams amongst the pre-tournament favourites as real wins."

Argentina, who never played at the Copa America a year before, also failed to beat Sweden when a win would have taken them through, so let’s not try and re-write history.

The point may be boring but it’s true. Football is one of my biggest passions and in over 30 years I have yet to see England beat a top team in a knockout game on foreign soil.

I’m not saying that to try and wind people up. It’s just a fact. Similar to me saying I’ve never seen Derby reach a domestic cup final. Or play in Europe. Unfortunately it just hasn’t happened in my lifetime.

I’m an England supporter. Of course I want them to win. Us slugging it out of the group stages with just one win and two goals doesn’t bother me all that much.

I just don’t want to see yet another repeat of failing at the first big test we come across. It’s happened all too often in my lifetime.

The results are fine, we've finished top. But I just can't understand why we are playing so poor. I don't think I've seen this team look so lacklustre and devoid of ideas. Our best players just aren't showing up like they have previously. Need to move the ball quicker and start running at teams. It's not difficult.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Argentina, who never played at the Copa America a year before, also failed to beat Sweden when a win would have taken them through, so let’s not try and re-write history.

Well my recollection is that the Argentines were hotly tipped to do well before the tournament and they had loads of good players. We were coming of the back of a dismal Euro 2000 and no one was expecting us to beat them.

I've actually just searched for it and got this from the text commentary on the Guardian..

Full time: England 1 - 0 Argentina. Well there's a turn-up for the books. England hold on for an amazing victory - come on, who honestly expected this a couple of hours ago? And make no bones about it, they deserved it, making the tournament favourites look very ordinary indeed. Your pals in the pub are off on a mammoth bender.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/jun/07/minutebyminute.worldcupfootball20022

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Well my recollection is that the Argentines were hotly tipped to do well before the tournament and they had loads of good players. We were coming of the back of a dismal Euro 2000 and no one was expecting us to beat them.

I've actually just searched for it and got this from the text commentary on the Guardian..

Full time: England 1 - 0 Argentina. Well there's a turn-up for the books. England hold on for an amazing victory - come on, who honestly expected this a couple of hours ago? And make no bones about it, they deserved it, making the tournament favourites look very ordinary indeed. Your pals in the pub are off on a mammoth bender.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/jun/07/minutebyminute.worldcupfootball20022

Like in 2000 when we beat Germany, they didn’t get out of the groups because they also faltered in other games.

I’m not trying to wind anyone up or anything. I’m merely stating a fact. England haven’t beaten a top 10 ranked side in the world in a knockout game of football in over 35 years.

You might find this just a coincidence, or a totally irrelevant, pointless fact. 

But I think there is a meaning behind it. 

On some occasions I think we have just had bad luck. We lost to Italy and Portugal on penalties, twice each. We were unlucky against France, had that Lampard goal not count against Germany, while I refuse to believe Ronaldinho was actually attempting to score from that free kick.

But I just find it amazing how we always seem to come up short against the better sides. 

Seems a stupid comment to make but the players don’t seem to be playing for Southgate or the fans.

They just don’t look bothered in the slightest. No urgency, no passion, the mood currently vs 2018 and 2021 is like chalk and cheese.

Unless we get Slovakia/Ukraine in last 16 I think our goose is cooked.

Watching England reminds me of the Paul Clement Derby team.

Technically superior players playing possession football in a rigid formation, where a guaranteed pass backwards was always taken ahead of  a 50/50 key forward pass.

Against teams that set out to defend, we find that we don’t do enough to pull them out of shape and they subsequently concede very few chances.  The slightly better teams would do similarly, but have enough to beat us with a breakaway goal and then just dig in.

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

Watching England reminds me of the Paul Clement Derby team.

Technically superior players playing possession football in a rigid formation, where a guaranteed pass backwards was always taken ahead of  a 50/50 key forward pass.

Against teams that set out to defend, we find that we don’t do enough to pull them out of shape and they subsequently concede very few chances.  The slightly better teams would do similarly, but have enough to beat us with a breakaway goal and then just dig in.

I think one of the issues is that Southgate is suffering with what every England manager suffers with, the need to fit all the big players into their system, instead of having a system to fit the big players.

The current formation isn’t working cus you’ve got Trippier with zero ability to stay wide.  Forden having to cut inside from the left, but with him being left footed his natural balance forces him to either play the ball backwards or to play it with the outside of his left resulting in less accurate passes.  Kane dropping too deep cus he gets bored, which in turn fills the space that Jude wants to take up, forcing him to drop back next to Rice, which in turn forces Trent/Mainoo/Gallagher to go wide, which in turn clogs up Saka’s spaces and stops Walker from overlapping.  It’s a mess… 

Personally I’d go with 

———————-Pickford

——-Walker——Stones——-Guehi

TAA—-Bellingham———Rice———Saka

——-Palmer——Kane————Gordon 

Yeah we’d probably be over ran by the first decent team, but I’ve rather go out swinging

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Mainly because Nicky Butt played at the back of midfield whilst the tactically woeful Gerrard was injured.

I was thinking of this yesterday. imo Gerrard was far from woeful tactically as surely his club career testifies. The problem was that the combined presence of Lampard and Gerrard ( our two best players for years) threw out the balance of the midfield. Butt was a great foil. 

If Southgate plays TAA and Bellingham in their best positions he has the same problem. 

(Bellingham is just beautiful to watch but I thought yesterday we’d have been better off without him 😞 )