Pre season

1 minute ago, eddy779h34 said:

But why did the Shrews look sharper and fitter than us, thats a worry . Chesterfield gave us the run around too. Its the quickness of thought and our first touch is dire .

I couldn't see many bad first touches from either of the last opposition teams , which is strange 

Hard to say without knowing what level of training we have been doing leading up to these games. Sounded like it was a double training session midweek, for example. 

6 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

But why did the Shrews look sharper and fitter than us, thats a worry . Chesterfield gave us the run around too. Its the quickness of thought and our first touch is dire .

I couldn't see many bad first touches from either of the last opposition teams , which is strange 

The thing you notice is even in the lower leagues is teams playing more progressive football. Shrewsbury have always been a robust route one football team but today they were looking to play the ball out from goal kicks, creating a 11v10, moving the ball around to feet and looking to create overloads in the final third. It’s obvious Shrewsbury have been working on pattens of play during preseason. 

On the other hand we’ve been working on fitness and running more than the other teams. The reason why both Shrewsbury and Chesterfield looked fitter isn’t because they were fitter but because the ball never gets tired. 

Warne is right we did try to press at times but they managed to easily work through the press on most occasions because in order for an effective press you need to play in a high or a pragmatic middle block in order to condense the space and get closer  for the second press. However due to having little or no pace at the back we can’t risk the ball over the top. So the press is ineffective. 

We can’t play our way out of defence because apart from Cashin we don’t have any defenders that are comfortable on the ball so we resort to hitting it long and we lose possession easily. 

More signings will hopefully make a difference but if anyone thinks we are not in for a hard season are seriously deluded. 

All eyes on the Barnsley game.

Warne and Barker have set themselves now by saying next 2 games will be treated more like league games. I expect to see a performance, solidity at the back, fluidity in midfield and attack intent up front.

It would also reduce my growing concerns if we were able to sign a goal keeper, striker and a winger this week.

Lots of things we perhaps already knew before today, but Osborne, Adams and Nyambe are not fully match-fit; Blackett-Taylor is not a wingback and NML needs a month off football altogether while we get playing two up front out of our system.

Ward looks sharp, Collo and Yates work hard, Kenzo is a class act. 

Ozoh seemed a bit nervy, did some good stuff and some bad stuff. Tommo can control a ball a lot better than some of our first string.

Cashin is distracted again, hope it's not more transfer shenanigans. 

Oh and Fozzy is still the calmest and classiest player on the pitch. 

I enjoy sitting down for a change at away matches.

Pre-season friendlies, we will have forgotten all about them when we're still running around like Duracell bunnies next March! 

I remain quite surprised that so many are still expecting the standard of our football to get better. It really isn’t going to happen, because having control and periods of passing possession with the football is not part of the Warne master plan.

He wants a strong group mentality (something I do actually think he is good at), he wants the players to be super fit, he wants his team to win the important 50/50s, and he doesn’t want to get drawn into midfield tactical battles.

It really isn’t going to be pretty to watch again this season. Get it down the wide channels asap. Grab a goal at a set play. We will be safe this season, but we won’t be playing much football.

1 hour ago, Nyderby said:

I fully understand that these are preseason results to be taken with a grain of salt. But more quality is needed, especially up front. Very poor striker signings so far.

I'd give Warne a VERY short leash this season. First sign of trouble and I'm moving on. No way in hell do I want back in League One, and his track record in championship is poor.. 

Ironically should we go down, Warne is an outstanding option to get out of League One.

If we are giving Warne six months of the Championship season regardless, strangely I wouldn't sack him if relegation is all-but certain come March time. You may as well keep him as he'd be a sure-fire option to get us back up.

Worryingly, aside from Oxford and Plymouth, the teams that may be expected to struggle like Blackburn, QPR, Wednesday and Millwall all changed managers last season for the better. 

I look at the Championship table and don't see with confidence too many teams we will finish above. 

23 minutes ago, superfit said:

The thing you notice is even in the lower leagues is teams playing more progressive football. Shrewsbury have always been a robust route one football team but today they were looking to play the ball out from goal kicks, creating a 11v10, moving the ball around to feet and looking to create overloads in the final third. It’s obvious Shrewsbury have been working on pattens of play during preseason. 

On the other hand we’ve been working on fitness and running more than the other teams. The reason why both Shrewsbury and Chesterfield looked fitter isn’t because they were fitter but because the ball never gets tired. 

Warne is right we did try to press at times but they managed to easily work through the press on most occasions because in order for an effective press you need to play in a high or a pragmatic middle block in order to condense the space and get closer  for the second press. However due to having little or no pace at the back we can’t risk the ball over the top. So the press is ineffective. 

We can’t play our way out of defence because apart from Cashin we don’t have any defenders that are comfortable on the ball so we resort to hitting it long and we lose possession easily. 

More signings will hopefully make a difference but if anyone thinks we are not in for a hard season are seriously deluded. 

Very good post. 

You should post more often.

Hopefully your last sentence is overly negative but tactically I totally agree with the rest of what you say.

1 hour ago, trappatoni said:

All clubs do fitness training and at this level they'll all have highly qualified fitness coaches.   We know Warne's philosophy is to work them hard in training - maybe harder than others - but it's not a given that produces fitter players with no downsides - fatigue or injury - otherwise every team would do It.   I don't remember us looking noticeably fitter than the opposition at the back end of the last two seasons. 

I get what you're saying, specially with the injuries and in league 1 it was probably more of advantage than it will be in the championship.

I think it's more to do with the style of play though. Warne wants high intensity, lots of running, closing down, quick turn over etc, that needs a high level of fitness compared to teams who play with a lower intensity and a possession based style. To keep playing like that all season they'll need to be super fit, so the pre season would surely have a higher emphasis on fitness compared to others. They're what, 4 weeks into pre season now, after having 9 weeks off. First week was probably access and ease them into it and the last 3 would have been brutal, I bet they're feeling it bad right now? They'll probably continue to feel that for a few weeks/months into the season until their bodies catch up. Never mind clicking with new team mates, etc, etc. I just think judging them now is crazy, im sorry!

Look at Chelsea last season, pochettino is known for his demanding level of fitness due to his playing style and look how they started and finished.

1 hour ago, CapeTownRams said:

Bradley brings chaos. Much as a central two and back four… but we know how stubborn PW is with his 3-5-2.

Why try it again when it didn't even work in L1?

5 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Look at Chelsea last season, pochettino is known for his demanding level of fitness due to his playing style and look how they started and finished.

And they won?

I tell you what though, judging by the tone from a quick read of this thread, If we lose the first 2 or 3 games people will start booing! Can see it now! Absolute joke!

Im just glad we've got a calm, sensible, owner now, because the team will need time and like @superfit said, if anyone thinks this is going to be an easy season there deluded. 

Like him or not, the style of play etc, but the bloke got us promoted ffs, he wants to bring in 12 players, it aint going to gel straight away. Unless were rock bottom at Christmas and starting to look adrift with no hope, then he deserves a season to keep us up. If he manages that, he then deserves another to build on it imo! but hey-ho, just my opinion! 

Respect those who don't agree, just wouldn't want you owning the club loooool!

Up the Rams 🐑🐑

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And they won?

They finished strong, they were to far adrift though, its a mess there. If he had been given another season to build on what he had done this season I reckon they'd do alright.

36 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I remain quite surprised that so many are still expecting the standard of our football to get better. It really isn’t going to happen, because having control and periods of passing possession with the football is not part of the Warne master plan.

He wants a strong group mentality (something I do actually think he is good at), he wants the players to be super fit, he wants his team to win the important 50/50s, and he doesn’t want to get drawn into midfield tactical battles.

It really isn’t going to be pretty to watch again this season. Get it down the wide channels asap. Grab a goal at a set play. We will be safe this season, but we won’t be playing much football.

Yeah I can see it now in the changing room at half time.....

"kenzo, how many times have I told you, stop playing them lovely little through balls down the middle and get it out wide ffs!! You're not in holland now, this aint no total football, does this look like f@cking Ajax to you"

Hopefully were all wrong though, you never know, Warne might have been on some courses or something and changed his philosophy 😬🤞

I confess I wasn't at the match...but I trust Warne and the management team. If you listen to Warne's post match interview he says atm it's all about getting minutes into players...and that means at times putting square pegs in round holes so that they can get those minutes. Yes I know we're several players short just now but the window doesn't close for several weeks...so let's be patient eh...