Pre season

2 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

Can somebody please tell me what Liam Thompson brings to the team?

I mean, if you spend the half chasing shadows, you might expect to catch one now and then 🤷‍♂️

I know he’s ’one of our own’ but, let’s pretend for a second he was a £300K signing from Burton or somewhere, could you honestly say he’s doing well?

Nothing against him personally but, if he’s in the starting eleven on day one of the Championship, we’re in for a long season.

There is a lot more gelling to come with new players, Warne tweaking set ups and finding pairings that work harmoniously. Tommo was always a bit part when Bird Hourihan were first choice. The lad hasn’t played regularly in a settled unit.
What he brings is good feet, loads of youthful energy and an extremely useful adaptability. He tidy and hungry.

Right now PW is experimenting and looking at players and the holes they occupy so what he is doing tonight is of little short term consequence. The gaffer is looking for balance and trying different weights.

No pace in CB’s mean they always drop very deep to avoid being done for speed. Leaves huge gap b/w midfield and defence, and eventually the midfield drops too deep to close the gap, thus conceding the whole midfield. We saw this with England in the Euros. 

2 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

No pace in CB’s mean they always drop very deep to avoid being done for speed. Leaves huge gap b/w midfield and defence, and eventually the midfield drops too deep to close the gap, thus conceding the whole midfield. We saw this with England in the Euros. 

2 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

True

Pretty sure both Cash & NML had poor pre seasons & starts to the season last year but came good in the end

On a side note, we are making Tom Naylor look like Zidane & giving him all the time in the sorld to pick out through balls & crosses

Always a good thing to play like 💩 in a pre-season game.

Get performances like this out of the way now. Gives the coaches a chance to see what we're not good at. Also sharpens the focus on areas of the team that need improving.

Looking forward to seeing us come out like the clappers in the second half, too. 

I hope CBT gets some minutes to run at these defenders.

Let's not kid ourselves, that starting 11 is nowhere near what it should hopefully be come first game of the season.

We need a lot more upfront or we will finish bottom, I'm sure Warne knows that.

We kick off in just over 2 weeks and we don't have a number 1.

So many changes still to come.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Only 3 of those players should be starting with a fully fit squad once the transfer window shuts.

I get a sense Warne is testing a couple of things out 'just in case', such as: not signing a forward for our first few games (Jackson and Mendez-Laing upfront), and what if Nelson is injured and we don't sign another CB (Nyambe and Bradley both starting).

It's quite clear to me we need to sign another CF who can actually score at Championship level. The bench also highlights the need to get another wide forward in. It also means we won't see an imbalanced midfield. All of which results in our defence not being exposed.

Pretty sure Matt Hamshaw said in the pre-match interview they’d be trying some stuff out tonight so you’re probably right.