Congrats from a Wanderer

Posted (edited)

Honestly guys, that last 20 mins was horrendous, my poor heart haha

One positive I can take from it is that we got the job done despite never really playing well in either playoff game (partly because barnsley arent great) and also that I think Oxford suits us better than Posh (and tbh as much as I'm desperate to win, if we do lose, I'd rather lose to Oxford than Darren Ferguson).

Fingers crossed we turn up and get it done. Our last 2 trips to Wembley are Bolton 4-0 Plymouth last season and Bolton 0-5 Stoke in the FA Cup semis about a decade ago so could literally be anything based on our history.

Got some Rams fan mates who were at your QPR Wembley trip that I sympathised with and was gutted for at the time so I hope more than anything we don't experience that kind of pain and we get a good day out, the boys give it their all and make us proud

Edited by BWFCNick

2 hours ago, BWFCNick said:

One positive I can take from it is that we got the job done despite never really playing well in either playoff game (partly because barnsley arent great) and also that I think Oxford suits us better than Posh (and tbh as much as I'm desperate to win, if we do lose, I'd rather lose to Oxford than Darren Ferguson).

Fingers crossed we turn up and get it done. Our last 2 trips to Wembley are Bolton 4-0 Plymouth last season and Bolton 0-5 Stoke in the FA Cup semis about a decade ago so could literally be anything based on our history.

Got some Rams fan mates who were at your QPR Wembley trip that I sympathised with and was gutted for at the time so I hope more than anything we don't experience that kind of pain and we get a good day out, the boys give it their all and make us proud

I'll bet. That sort of stuff can age you 10 years ! 😨 In terms of the performance, yeah, in these situations its always nice to win it at a canter, but sometimes getting the job done when your backs are against the wall can be better prep for difficult tasks and situations ahead.

That QPR game was horrific. We should have won that so the late horror show was absolutely sickening ☹️ Then again, we rather mugged WBA a few years earlier so..

Anyway, objective one achieved, a trip to Wembley. Oxford await. I guess you'll probably be fairly strong favourites and that can bring its own pressures and they only hopped into the playoffs on the last day so there is probably still a bit of a feeling of it being a free swing for them. Ultimately you were 10 points better over the season though and you need to bring that belief. Easier said than done though of course. As they say, 'the playoffs are a lottery'. Best of luck.

6 hours ago, BWFCNick said:

Hope you do it, lmo whoever finishes 3rd should go up. Im not a fan of platoffs.

5 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

That QPR game was horrific. We should have won that so the late horror show was absolutely sickening ☹️ Then again, we rather mugged WBA a few years earlier so..

I don't get all this we mugged WBA, many baggies fans have been bitter about it ever since. I keep reminding them that we deserved our spot in the Premier by finishing 8 points ahead of them in the league, likewise Bolton deserve to go up and have finished 10 points clear of Oxford and I wouldn't begrudge them a lucky win in the final.

QPR was a treble mugging, we finished well ahead of them, we outplayed them in the final and they cheated FFP.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

I don't get all this we mugged WBA, many baggies fans have been bitter about it ever since. I keep reminding them that we deserved our spot in the Premier by finishing 8 points ahead of them in the league, likewise Bolton deserve to go up and have finished 10 points clear of Oxford and I wouldn't begrudge them a lucky win in the final.

QPR was a treble mugging, we finished well ahead of them, we outplayed them in the final and they cheated FFP.

I was in a pub in Marylebone with a load of baggies' fans (not intentionally) and they were seriously bitter (just like Southampton fans were) because they, in their view, played more attractive football. I reminded them that you don't get any reward for aesthetics and that any team that finishes third deserves to go up, even if they're not easy on the eye.

11 hours ago, BWFCNick said:

Be lucky.

I missed our only Wembley victory but have a 100% attendance record for all our ignominious failures.

14 hours ago, BWFCNick said:

Best of luck, I'm sure Bolton will be joining the Rams and Pompey in the Ch'ship next season 👍🏽

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

I don’t get this, if you finish third you deserve to go up mentally.

At the start of the season everyone knows the rules, top two you are promoted, next 4 positions get you into a knockout competition.

The old promotion was good enough for 100 years, the play offs are an interference to a fair promotion purely for extending the interest of more clubs for a longer period of time and to feed the media frenzy.

We have 46 games to decide who should go up, it's totally illogical for a team who have out performed another team by many points over those 46 games, to be robbed of a deserved reward by one moment of bad luck, bad play or bad refereeing.

Just because we know the rules at the start of the season, it doesn't mean that those rules are just and fair.

30 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The old promotion was good enough for 100 years, the play offs are an interference to a fair promotion purely for extending the interest of more clubs for a longer period of time and to feed the media frenzy.

We have 46 games to decide who should go up, it's totally illogical for a team who have out performed another team by many points over those 46 games, to be robbed of a deserved reward by one moment of bad luck, bad play or bad refereeing.

Just because we know the rules at the start of the season, it doesn't mean that those rules are just and fair.

The top two teams are promoted, the next four get a chance, why is that not fair. 
Just because you don’t agree with it doesn’t make it wrong.

Lots of rules have changed over the last hundred years.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Agreed,  It was a cash incentive for clubs at one time where wages weren't 20k a week for average Division 2 players and a chance for a team to avoid relegation.  The money lost if you finish 3rd and don't go up now is enormous.  That said, clubs will always stick with it whilst parachute payments exist as the chance of finishing in the top 3 without them is minimal- Ipswich accepted.  If those payments go or reduce greatly, making it a more level field, the play offs will go. 

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

I was in a pub in Marylebone with a load of baggies' fans (not intentionally) and they were seriously bitter (just like Southampton fans were) because they, in their view, played more attractive football. I reminded them that you don't get any reward for aesthetics and that any team that finishes third deserves to go up, even if they're not easy on the eye.

They were certain they were winning that day,  I know a few Wolves fans and they were certain that the enemy was good as up.  They were that delighted I think they'd have kissed Pearsons hairy beanbag at full time if they'd been anywhere near him. 

7 hours ago, Foreveram said:

The top two teams are promoted, the next four get a chance, why is that not fair. 
Just because you don’t agree with it doesn’t make it wrong.

Lots of rules have changed over the last hundred years.

A lot of them not for the better though.

25 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

A lot of them not for the better though.

1. Kick-offs - why was that changed?

2. Offside rule - can anyone explain that nowadays?

3. Drop-balls - what happened??

4. Goal- kicks …wtf?!

5. 4th official - what do they do?

6. VAR - farce. 

Football - created by the poor; stolen by the rich. image.png.1e863f6023dbaa922415cb4dc3e7c4d8.png