Dajaune Brown

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Interesting you mention Langstaff. Watching his many goals on YouTube and elsewhere, there aren’t that many that would be offered as chances in the Championship.

It will be interesting to see if he can do it at a higher level.

I seem to remember in January when he was being linked with a move to Swansea, that an ‘unnamed’ scout from a championship club claimed that he is not up to standard for that level. That’s despite scoring 40 odd goals in the national league promotion season and 20 odd in league 2 last year.

Langstaff is like Billy Sharp. He might struggle to lead the line for us on his own, but if the price is right he would be a good buy. And will find a way to score quite a lot of goals. A striking collection of Langstaff, Collins, Brown and an other (Louie Barry?) would start to look tasty. All giving the opposition different problems. But Brown is the one with the highest ceiling and the potential to become a formidable main striker at the top level. How do we get him to realize that, and in the way that's best for Derby County? 

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Langstaff is like Billy Sharp. He might struggle to lead the line for us on his own, but if the price is right he would be a good buy. And will find a way to score quite a lot of goals. A striking collection of Langstaff, Collins, Brown and an other (Louie Barry?) would start to look tasty. All giving the opposition different problems. But Brown is the one with the highest ceiling and the potential to become a formidable main striker at the top level. How do we get him to realize that, and in the way that's best for Derby County? 

Barrie is a great shout, saw Stockport looking to sign him permenantly so would hope be very feasible financially for us.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There seems to be a lot of emphasis, on a teenager who's got 1 in 2 at League 5 level against any number of blokes who still work part time, to score goals against defences that have cost millions of pounds and are full internationals. I think we may need quite a bit more than that as striking options. 

I agree. The lad might well have great potential (and I sincerely hope he does for his own sake as well as the clubs) but he hasn’t really been tested yet or had the chance to prove himself. Of course the same could possibly have been said about the likes of Cashin before we were forced into bringing them into the first team squad so, perhaps he deserves the chance to break into the first team (but in addition to other “quality” strikers). As I say, he’s not yet had the opportunity to prove himself and he might turn out to be exactly what we need. I’ll trust in the coaching team to decide whether he needs another loan period or not.

With nine on the bench, and five subs next season the rules really play into the hands of the wealthy clubs who have strength in depth. Many (most?) games will be won or lost based on the subs that happen in the last 20 minutes. 

We need to be in a position to bring on an entirely new front three at 70 minutes. This is where most goals will be scored against the tired legs of defenders. 

Brown deserves his chance to be one of those six players.

I do wonder if a good tactic next season will be to set out to defend for 70 mins before completely switching up the play and attacking. Particularly in away games.

14 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

With nine on the bench, and five subs next season the rules really play into the hands of the wealthy clubs who have strength in depth. Many (most?) games will be won or lost based on the subs that happen in the last 20 minutes. 

We need to be in a position to bring on an entirely new front three at 70 minutes. This is where most goals will be scored against the tired legs of defenders. 

Brown deserves his chance to be one of those six players.

I do wonder if a good tactic next season will be to set out to defend for 70 mins before completely switching up the play and attacking. Particularly in away games.

That makes a lot of sense and pairs well with something a poster wrote in another thread about wingback. If we are going down the 343 / 352 route next season, having the option to freshen up the wingbacks after 60/70 will be a good tactic. Ward/Wilson are ideal for that at the moment on the right but I think a left wingback with more energy and attacking threat to pair with Sibley on the left would a good way to go. Hopefully the Small link has some truth to it and that's an option we're looking at. 

2 forwards, 2 wingbacks and a centre mid that are capable of coming off the bench in the 2nd half to make a difference, could be huge.

9 subs does seem a bit mental though, I would've thought 7 is fine

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There seems to be a lot of emphasis, on a teenager who's got 1 in 2 at League 5 level against any number of blokes who still work part time, to score goals against defences that have cost millions of pounds and are full internationals. I think we may need quite a bit more than that as striking options. 

Yes we will need more, I don’t think anyone thinks otherwise, but Derby’s (and any non parachute club) best chance of having a striker younger than 25 who is good enough for the Championship is developing one. 

With the match squad increasing from 16 to 20 players, the overall squad needs to increase in size also. Out of those 20 players, 4 or 5 will always be unavailable for one reason or another. 

Young players like Brown will be needed to supplement the squad, as we can't afford to buy/loan enough proper first team players to fill the match day squads.

Also, our own youngsters are more likely to be content with occasional appearances on the bench, whereas newly bought/loaned players will not be happy at all. 

Hopefully, one or more of those youngsters will seize the opportunity when it comes and establish themselves in the team.

On 12/05/2024 at 14:21, Rich3478 said:

The point of a loan isn’t to develope another teams youngster, it’s to improve our first team.

the development is what the loaning club gets out of the deal.

personally think Warne should have a look at him for pre season, if thinks will benefit the team then great. If not ready then maybe league two for a loan. Maybe a team can develope our youngster! And benefit themselves too!

coaches and managers watch these players daily, and they would love nothing more than any youngster to be next big thing. But just playing them and hoping they get there isn’t a guarantee of that. 

Problem with sending a skilful forward to a league 1 or 2 club is that they spend most of their time on utterly crap pitches. It doesn’t develop their usp 

3 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

I don’t recall many utterly crap pitches last season.

I think if you speak privately to players you can get a different view. Only person I’ve heard it from is a league 2 player but he said the pitches often look ok from the stands and on tv  but are quite rutted. I got the impression there’s a gulf  between good championship / PL and the rest 

19 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

A striking collection of Langstaff, Collins, Brown and an other (Louie Barry?) would start to look tasty. All giving the opposition different problems. But Brown is the one with the highest ceiling and the potential to become a formidable main striker at the top level. How do we get him to realize that, and in the way that's best for Derby County? 

I would take a gamble on him, at the right price.

Collins, Langstaff, Brown + one proven Championship quality forward would have me feeling more confident going into next season.

Personally still feel pretty concerned that, unless are recruitment is good and Warne changes up the way we play, that we might struggle a bit next season.

37 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I would take a gamble on him, at the right price.

Collins, Langstaff, Brown + one proven Championship quality forward would have me feeling more confident going into next season.

Personally still feel pretty concerned that, unless are recruitment is good and Warne changes up the way we play, that we might struggle a bit next season.

Remember, Washington is already signed for next season.

Really excited by the potential of this young lad. About time we had a striker come through the ranks. Last striker we unearthed out the academy who established himself in the first team was Marcus Tudgay. Honourable mentions for Callum Ball and Izale McLeod but we've really struggled to produce forwards over the years.