Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

12 shots, only one of which forced the keeper to make a save. Posh also had 10 shots blocked to Wycombe's 2 and 27 touches in the Wycombe area vs 13. They also forced 15 corners compared to their Wycombe's 2.

Wycombe won more aerial battles and that's probably a significant stat and with that in mind, we'll need someone picking up Forino, who was dominant at both ends. He'll be a threat. We'll also need to keep an eye on Leahy who is dangerous from both from open play and free kicks. Considering the size of them, I thought Wycombe went down pretty easily, under even minimal contact and the referee bought most, if not all of it. How Posh ended up conceding 11 free kicks to Wycombe's 8 is something of a mystery to me, but again, it's something we need to be mindful of as I think their principal threat against us will arise from set pieces. Calm heads required.

They like a mystical penalty in the 90th minute.  Diving t****.

57 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

12 shots, only one of which forced the keeper to make a save. Posh also had 10 shots blocked to Wycombe's 2 and 27 touches in the Wycombe area vs 13. They also forced 15 corners compared to their Wycombe's 2.

Wycombe won more aerial battles and that's probably a significant stat and with that in mind, we'll need someone picking up Forino, who was dominant at both ends. He'll be a threat. We'll also need to keep an eye on Leahy who is dangerous from both from open play and free kicks. Considering the size of them, I thought Wycombe went down pretty easily, under even minimal contact and the referee bought most, if not all of it. How Posh ended up conceding 11 free kicks to Wycombe's 8 is something of a mystery to me, but again, it's something we need to be mindful of as I think their principal threat against us will arise from set pieces. Calm heads required.

Regardless of the quality, to have 12 shots off less than 30% possession isn't that bad. Posh only managed 18 from over 70%. If they find their scoring boots instead of their shooting boots...

11 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

If they find their scoring boots instead of their shooting boots...

A nothing comment that could be made about each and every team we play. I actually watched the game and saw nothing to fear, bar their threat from set pieces. Doesn't mean they can't beat us, but I'd happily lay your bet if you fancy them as much as you seem to.

Hating the wait now. I'm normally not nervy about games as these are the matches that matter, so why not embrace them, but I am getting twitchy with all the hanging about. I don't rate Wycombe that highly, but they are precisely the type of team we have typically struggled against in recent times when we've not been 100% at it. They're big, they're strong and they are well organised defensively. I thought we were good against Pompey, but they wanted to play football and I think the Wembley game clearly showed the different kind of challenge we will face against Wycombe. They will look to disrupt and break up play at every opportunity and our lads will need to stay on their feet, in and around our area. It'll be interesting to see if Bloomfield persists with his bright young things, or whether some of the more experienced types are drafted back in. Sadly, I don't see fatigue being a major issue for them, despite the short turn-around.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

A nothing comment that could be made about each and every team we play. I actually watched the game and saw nothing to fear, bar their threat from set pieces. Doesn't mean they can't beat us, but I'd happily lay your bet if you fancy them as much as you seem to.

Not so much fancying them, just recognising their particular brand of "football" is not one we tend to do well against. Physical, stealing 15+ yards at throws, Taking an age to take dead ball situations as long as it's still 0-0, falling over as if poleaxed if you look at them too hard, destroying any flow to the game etc.

15 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Not so much fancying them, just recognising their particular brand of "football" is not one we tend to do well against. Physical, stealing 15+ yards at throws, Taking an age to take dead ball situations as long as it's still 0-0, falling over as if poleaxed if you look at them too hard, destroying any flow to the game etc.

Agree. I think we have to go all at them and try and get that first goal.  If we can, that strategy falls apart - and we can go onto win by three or four.  But if we don't, it works incredibly well - and makes it more and more likely they will nick one (ala Northampton).

43 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Have we had this Referee before?

Wycombe Wanderers v Derby County (19:45)
ALEX CHILOWICZ
Declan O'Shea and Alistair Nelson
Fourth Official : Samuel Fudge

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/december/12/former-mls-referee-alex-chilowicz-becomes-efl-official/

American ref who has moved over here seems quite experienced  237 MLS games in 6 years

17 games in EFL 58 yellows 0 Reds

Started the season in League 2 and Reffed in Champ for the first time last week with Rotherham vs Millwall

Steve Evans thinks he can ref in the prem

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Wanderers to win btts is 13/2 at the bookies . Just out of interest - what are you offering ?

31 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Wanderers to win btts is 13/2 at the bookies . Just out of interest - what are you offering ?

I don't do parlays, money lines, build-a-bets, handicaps, or any of that mug punter shyte. If you fancy Wycombe outright though, I'm more than happy to accommodate you on the proviso that it's for charity. Otherwise you can bugger off to Ladbrokes 😋

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

I don't do parlays, money lines, build-a-bets, handicaps, or any of that mug punter shyte. If you fancy Wycombe outright though, I'm more than happy to accommodate you on the proviso that it's for charity. Otherwise you can bugger off to Ladbrokes 😋

So what odds are you offering to us “Mug punters”?

6 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

Every time I see/hear the name Luke Leahy, cannot stand that p****

Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

Good player who we should've signed in the summer, along with Lewis Wing. 

Leahy in particular seemed like a no-brainer considering he can cover LB, CB, CM and just about everywhere else on the pitch and always seems to do a good job. He's their top goalscorer this season and spent the majority in defence. 

Even as the club (hopefully) progresses and there is a requirement for better personnel, I'm really not sure that a player who can be utilised in a number of positions and do a credible job should ever be sniffed at - especially in the current economic climate. 

16 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Good player who we should've signed in the summer, along with Lewis Wing. 

Leahy in particular seemed like a no-brainer considering he can cover LB, CB, CM and just about everywhere else on the pitch and always seems to do a good job. He's their top goalscorer this season and spent the majority in defence. 

Even as the club (hopefully) progresses and there is a requirement for better personnel, I'm really not sure that a player who can be utilised in a number of positions and do a credible job should ever be sniffed at - especially in the current economic climate. 

Leahy is their penalty taker - 5 goals out of his 8 coming from the spot (missed 2). He also scored 1 freekick leaving him with just 2 open play goals. 2 of his 6 assists came from set pieces too, whilst 2 of the remaining 4 assists came from playing at CM.

For comparison, Forsyth has 3 goals and 2 assists without taking any set pieces.

6 hours ago, eddielewis said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/december/12/former-mls-referee-alex-chilowicz-becomes-efl-official/

American ref who has moved over here seems quite experienced  237 MLS games in 6 years

17 games in EFL 58 yellows 0 Reds

Started the season in League 2 and Reffed in Champ for the first time last week with Rotherham vs Millwall

Steve Evans thinks he can ref in the prem

If Steve Evans thinks he is good, then it means that he is lenient with thug football, and lenient with the dark arts, so my guess is that we are going to have a really tough time, because that describes Wycombe's MO to a "T". Come on you Rams. Tough it out. And as almost ever, you will be playing against anything up 14 players on Wycombe's side. But we can do it, because we've been doing it for most matches this season. Let's play our own game and impose it on them.

1 minute ago, DavesaRam said:

If Steve Evans thinks he is good, then it means that he is lenient with thug football, and lenient with the dark arts, so my guess is that we are going to have a really tough time, because that describes Wycombe's MO to a "T". Come on you Rams. Tough it out. And as almost ever, you will be playing against anything up 14 players on Wycombe's side. But we can do it, because we've been doing it for most matches this season. Let's play our own game and impose it on them.

Make sure we get an early goal then we'll be free to rattle a few ankles with little chance of an early yellow.