Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Apologies in advance if this just sounds like a load of waffle.

My issue with Paul Warne is that I don’t feel like he’s getting the most out of what he has available. Yes, we have lost our target man but you adjust accordingly and change the style to suit what you have. He seems to have a certain way of playing with very little ability or willingness to tweak it.

He’s a nice enough bloke. I don’t like his interviews and try to avoid them as they often make me cringe. 

I don’t think he has much ability for developing players, if anything it’s the opposite. How many players have been bit parts or seemed to have disappeared, for example Smith and Fornah etc. These are players he’s signed, if they don’t end up in and around the squad he’s basically wasted wages.

Yesterday was hard to watch when we were going toward. First half NML and Sibley were basically playing as wingers, out wide, expected to beat their man, try and cut inside and left with limited options. There was no runners from the midfield. Second half the only threat was Wilson from the right wing, who wasted multiple opportunities to play a ball into the box after doing the hard work.

We seem to have no ability to open team up with intricate passing. Everything is play it out wide and whip a cross in. With no height in the box, unless you play that ball across the floor likelihood is it will be cleared and us put back on the counter. I absolutely hate the fact that we can no longer pass a ball more than four times without losing it and 3 of those passes will be sideways or backwards.

The midfield was all wrong yesterday. Bird and Hourihane were guilty of far too many side and backward balls. It completely neutralises the attack. Get your head up and look for NML and Sibbs who should be waiting to be fed the ball and charge at the defence or hold it up for the midfield to catch up. 

For me, now we have Adam’s covering the middle of the park we have no excuse to not use players like Thompson and Fornah ahead of him to drive the ball forward. Both are capable of carrying the ball and trying to find a forward pass.

If we try and play how we do when Collins is in the team then signing Gayle will have been a waste of time and money.

The Academy is another concern, Paul has no interest in seeing players feed through. Weston for example was bright when he had his chances, only to disappear back to the academy not to be seen again. Fapetu and Robinson as well looked like very good prospects. 

I don’t feel like Paul’s using any of the resources he has available as well as he could, the style of play isn’t particularly interesting to watch, I won’t argue that we are in a good position for the final stretch of the season but also feel like this squad is capable of a far more exciting style of football and would definitely compete towards the top end of the league. 

2 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

My issue with Paul Warne is that I don’t feel like he’s getting the most out of what he has available. Yes, we have lost our target man but you adjust accordingly and change the style to suit what you have. He seems to have a certain way of playing with very little ability or willingness to tweak it.

He’s a nice enough bloke. I don’t like his interviews and try to avoid them as they often make me cringe. 

I don’t think he has much ability for developing players, if anything it’s the opposite. How many players have been bit parts or seemed to have disappeared, for example Smith and Fornah etc. These are players he’s signed, if they don’t end up in and around the squad he’s basically wasted wages.

Yesterday was hard to watch when we were going toward. First half NML and Sibley were basically playing as wingers, out wide, expected to beat their man, try and cut inside and left with limited options. There was no runners from the midfield. Second half the only threat was Wilson from the right wing, who wasted multiple opportunities to play a ball into the box after doing the hard work.

We seem to have no ability to open team up with intricate passing. Everything is play it out wide and whip a cross in. With no height in the box, unless you play that ball across the floor likelihood is it will be cleared and us put back on the counter. I absolutely hate the fact that we can no longer pass a ball more than four times without losing it and 3 of those passes will be sideways or backwards.

The midfield was all wrong yesterday. Bird and Hourihane were guilty of far too many side and backward balls. It completely neutralises the attack. Get your head up and look for NML and Sibbs who should be waiting to be fed the ball and charge at the defence or hold it up for the midfield to catch up. 

For me, now we have Adam’s covering the middle of the park we have no excuse to not use players like Thompson and Fornah ahead of him to drive the ball forward. Both are capable of carrying the ball and trying to find a forward pass.

If we try and play how we do when Collins is in the team then signing Gayle will have been a waste of time and money.

The Academy is another concern, Paul has no interest in seeing players feed through. Weston for example was bright when he had his chances, only to disappear back to the academy not to be seen again. Fapetu and Robinson as well looked like very good prospects. 

I don’t feel like Paul’s using any of the resources he has available as well as he could, the style of play isn’t particularly interesting to watch, I won’t argue that we are in a good position for the final stretch of the season but also feel like this squad is capable of a far more exciting style of football and would definitely compete towards the top end of the league. 

Excellent post

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hourihane decided to drop in as a 4th CB, then far too slow to close the man down when we initially headed clear - it was his man who scored.

I don't recall where Adams at the time. He may have been pulled out towards the RB spot though?

I doubt 'Hourihane decided' as we know he does what Warne asks of him.

24 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

I messed up, I meant Ward not Smith

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Yep, those two incidents had me pulling my hair out. I doubt though that, in those positions, Warne's advice to them would be to do what they did, because he's often said he wants players to be brave.

How can he expect players to 'be brave' when how he sets the team up is to combat the other teams strengths, for us to think we're having to deal with them, not the other way around. We have lots of strengths in our squad and it seems to me that Warne doesn't chose to set up to get the best out of them and to make the opposition deal with us.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How can he expect players to 'be brave' when how he sets the team up is to combat the other teams strengths, for us to think we're having to deal with them, not the other way around. We have lots of strengths in our squad and it seems to me that Warne doesn't chose to set up to get the best out of them and to make the opposition deal with us.

Is it not possible to do both? Set the team up to adapt to the other teams strengths but be brave when you’re in possession yourselves?

Watched the game on RamsTV as per... I have to say it was a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. Both sides looking to play attacking football, both defences playing well enough to allow only 16 shots the whole game, 6 for them, 10 for us. Both sides had 4 on target and they enjoyed 58% possession.

I was happy to see Bobby Madley had been replaced as the ref to avoid any semblance of bias. His replacement did well. Not a perfect display but he was even handed with what he let go.

Towering header from Bradley for the 0-1. Good goal line header to prevent Cash getting our 2nd. Header away from Cash then fell to Phillips 20 odd yards out and nobody on him, easy chance put away well giving JW no chance. Same player headed home their 2nd. A game either side might have won, they did, IMO a draw would have been the right result. Results elsewhere didn't "punish" our loss.

Back 3 or 4? In a 4 Cash and Nels have been immense all season. Bradley is finally showing why we bought him. A 3 puts Nyambe out of the equation which is a shame as he's a very good RB. 3 allows us 2 wing backs and more attacking options and gives us 2 up top (strikers hunting in pairs, the way I like to see them). With players starting to become available again following injury, PW will have a fair few selection headaches.

4 of the next 5 games are at home. Blessing or curse? Hopefully we'll see big crowds getting behind the team and a plethora of points. We start with Charlton and Port Vale and I'd be looking for 6 points from those games. Brizzle Rovers away another 3. Reading at home, yes, they do seem a bit of a bogey side but time to lay that one to rest. Then it's Bolton, 32K crowd, buzzing stadium, simply a don't lose game. I'm looking at either 13 or 15 points from the 5 games and that would keep us in with a good shout of top 2.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Is it not possible to do both? Set the team up to adapt to the other teams strengths but be brave when you’re in possession yourselves?

Well it doesn't seem like it does it? Three first halves in a row have been dreadful where some have said but 'oh yeah we needed to 'counteract'.

What would have been wrong with going 4-3-3 and made the most of our players?

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Had to do a RoyMac and ignore the majority of your post and focus on one minutiae.....

Not sure on the assertion in bold, I certainly didn't expect us to get promoted the first season Warne was in charge so that kind of makes what you've said invalid (depends what your interpretation of "quick" is I guess)

Did Clowes also say the same thing?

Warne actually said in one of the pre-season interviews that if we don't get promoted he expects to be out of a job.  You would think he would have an idea of what the expectations were.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well it doesn't seem like it does it? Three first halves in a row have been dreadful where some have said but 'oh yeah we needed to 'counteract'.

What would have been wrong with going 4-3-3 and made the most of our players?

Is that 100% the fault of the manager though or is it, to an extent, the players not being brave enough. 🤷🏻

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Is that 100% the fault of the manager though or is it, to an extent, the players not being brave enough. 🤷🏻

The manager picks the players - maybe he thought Hourihane wasn't brave enough and took him off. 

1 hour ago, 8Leeds said:

Apology accepted 

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The manager picks the players - maybe he thought Hourihane wasn't brave enough and took him off. 

So the answer is yes then? It is possible to set up being mindful of the opposition but to be brave when you can if he took Hourihane off for not being brave enough.

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

More saying that if there’s an overwhelming majority of fans calling to sack Warne if we don’t go up this year, you start to wonder about losing season ticket renewals and attendances dropping - which is part of our advantage in this division 

I expect it would get pretty toxic online if we lost in the playoffs

We have great crowds every week which rarely drop below 26k (and mostly well above) despite "the football".

If its were going to drop off,it's taking a long time,he's been here nearly two seasons.

The doommongers and anti warne brigade live in their own world on this forum,I'd be surprised if many actually go the games.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

"Be brave" isn't a particularly useful tactical instruction, is it? If it's supposed to mean 'Get your head up and look for a forward pass' then you have to set your team up to give the player those options. And then make sure you don't give them contrary instructions.