Paul Warne

Day

On 18/08/2024 at 10:22, Day said:

Don’t feel like this is respected enough.

We’re not a club that went down, retained our squad and bounced straight back up after one season.

We was stripped bare, had to rebuild the entire squad to come back up. 

20 odd years in the Championship prior means absolutely nothing, we’re a newly promoted side and our expectations going into these games must reflect that.

Boro had better players all over the pitch, we did what we needed to do, that’s the goal for the season. Just stay here and gradually build to where we can go out there and match the likes of Boro and dictate the game.

You talk far too much sense. I just wish some could actually see that and manage their expectations 

A quite succinct and straight to the point article from from FL World looks at the value to the club of our transfer dealings over the past two years compared to what came before. It puts into perspective just how well, Warne and Rosenior before him have done to get us so far so soon and just how wasteful and almost recklessly terminal the road to administration really was. Most of us witnessed all of that but when it is recapped in black and white as in this fan article, I think the Warne critics might wish to take a deep breath before deciding next time if the criticism is really deserved.......but then again maybe not. Without the whirlwind eagerness to spend money we never really had, the necessarily careful approach of the last two years has yielded big dividends so far and here's hoping it cautiously continues until the club has the comfort of at least being regarded as an established Championship contender once again, able to punch it's real weight. We really should be happy with the progress so far.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/derby-county-transfer-disasters-anya-jozwiak-johnson-butterfield-and-albentosa/

Edited by Spender

On 18/08/2024 at 10:22, Day said:

Don’t feel like this is respected enough.

We’re not a club that went down, retained our squad and bounced straight back up after one season.

We was stripped bare, had to rebuild the entire squad to come back up. 

20 odd years in the Championship prior means absolutely nothing, we’re a newly promoted side and our expectations going into these games must reflect that.

Boro had better players all over the pitch, we did what we needed to do, that’s the goal for the season. Just stay here and gradually build to where we can go out there and match the likes of Boro and dictate the game.

I have a sneaky suspicion that once we are ready, 'Boro will still be here!  😁

There's no doubt that we need a further jolt of improvement, though I do feel that our performance in the first 25 minutes or so is being deliberately overlooked by some on here. Was the win meaningful in terms of assessing Warne's Championship credentials? A little bit yes, but I can see why others would choose to take an alternative view. Hopefully we continue to go forward in performance terms and perhaps then the angry voices will quieten.

On 18/08/2024 at 00:51, RadioactiveWaste said:

Paul Warne: Rehabilitating the perception of balds across Derbyshire. Give the noggin a going over with the brasso tonight Paul, your brains deserve it.

And yours dont ?

I haven’t been keeping up to date on this thread this season so I apologize if this has been said. I’ve been reading Pride by Ryan Hill and the resemblance between Nigel Clough and Paul Warne is amazing. Everyone jokes about the “good lad test” but every player interviewed in the book talks about how important that is and how good Cough was at finding them. The connection between us signing “bad eggs” and money driven players and our demise is very strong by the words of past players and loved players at that aswell as coaches and managers. 

I do think Warne is a good man with good morales and will create us a good core group of players aswell as a good feel around the club. I do agree he probably isn’t the man who’ll push us up to the top end of the championship over time but I do think if we do get back to competing in the championship we will look back at warnes time and realize how important the man is at this time of rebuild at our great club. 

I just hope everyone can get on board with him and realize he really cares about our club just like Rooney did when he could have walked so much times when we were really in the s***. If our fanbase got behind Warne and this squad like we did Rooney and his young squad we’d stay up no problem and staying up can be an amazing stepping stone to a positive future. 

One thing that is concerning me a lot at the moment is the mindset. Some of Warne’s comments post-match are making it sound like they don’t think they’re good enough for this league. This underdog mentality.

Last week he compared Middlesbrough to Real Madrid. This week he called us a “League One team that’s gone up.”

We’re not, Paul. We’re a Championship team. I don’t think Oxford and Pompey have gone into this season with that attitude. They’re competing, scoring goals. Taking the game to the opposition, not sitting back and trying to defend for 90 minutes (and failing to). 

I don’t know. I’m just getting the impression that Warne’s mindset is that we’re a minnow and every club with a bigger wallet than us is like our big club cup draw or something. This isn’t Rotherham.

Lots of positivity on here at the moment. I’m honestly not sure why. 100+ games of Warne and we’re playing like this. It was ugly in League One and it’s uglier now. Sorry to be so negative but if this carries on we will finish rock bottom.

Edited by Nuwtfly

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

One thing that is concerning me a lot at the moment is the mindset. Some of Warne’s comments post-match are making it sound like they don’t think they’re good enough for this league. This underdog mentality.

Last week he compared Middlesbrough to Real Madrid. This week he called us a “League One team that’s gone up.”

We’re not, Paul. We’re a Championship team. I don’t think Oxford and Pompey have gone into this season with that attitude. They’re competing, scoring goals. Taking the game to the opposition, not sitting back and trying to defend for 90 minutes (and failing to). 

I don’t know. I’m just getting the impression that Warne’s mindset is that we’re a minnow and every club with a bigger wallet than us is like our big club cup draw or something. This isn’t Rotherham.

Lots of positivity on here at the moment. I’m honestly not sure why. 100+ games of Warne and we’re playing like this. It was ugly in League One and it’s uglier now. Sorry to be so negative but if this carries on we will finish rock bottom.

I think you might be confusing what Warne says to the public and what he says to his players. I think you're also making allot of incorrect assumptions about how Oxford and Portsmouth are going about things and the relative success of each clubs approach. We're 3 league games in, finding our way and you're already dismissive of the manager and the way the team are playing. I'm guessing that you made your mind up a long time ago and even automatic promotion with the highest goal difference in the EFL hasn't diminished that opinion. No point trying to convince you otherwise then.

Sorry if you regard my (and others) optimism as misplaced : some of us are just naturally positive people I guess.

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think you might be confusing what Warne says to the public and what he says to his players. I think you're also making allot of incorrect assumptions about how Oxford and Portsmouth are going about things and the relative success of each clubs approach. We're 3 league games in, finding our way and you're already dismissive of the manager and the way the team are playing. I'm guessing that you made your mind up a long time ago and even automatic promotion with the highest goal difference in the EFL hasn't diminished that opinion. No point trying to convince you otherwise then.

Sorry if you regard my (and others) optimism as misplaced : some of us are just naturally positive people I guess.

You’ve made a lot of assumptions about what I think there, but I’m not going to argue them all with you. The only one that irritates me is the “we’re three games in” bit.

Warne has been in charge for over a hundred games. I, and probably plenty of others, base their assessment of his managerial ability on that whole period.

The lack of budget makes me wonder if Clowes wants to see how Warne deals with the championship, before giving him the pennies to spend. After all, he got rid of Rosenior based on style of play not fitting league 1. Maybe he is wary that Warnes style will not being us the success in the championship.

Or maybe the recruitment team are just out of their depth.

41 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You’ve made a lot of assumptions about what I think there, but I’m not going to argue them all with you. The only one that irritates me is the “we’re three games in” bit.

Warne has been in charge for over a hundred games. I, and probably plenty of others, base their assessment of his managerial ability on that whole period.

I mentioned 3 games in because I expected we'd take the first dozen games or so to feel at home in the division. I also said it was clear you'd made your mind up a long time ago so it wasn't worth me trying to change your mind.

Warne delivered promotion as expected last season, in accordance with his track record. I thought that critics might at least give him a whole month before filling this forum with repeat posts from last year. I should have known better. Keep bashing away on those typewriters lads....

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I also said it was clear you'd made your mind up a long time ago so it wasn't worth me trying to change your mind.

That's not true at all.

He delivered promotion as was expected. Why was it expected? Because that league was full of absolute dross last season and our squad was easily one of the best in it. 

And a serious question: do you think we played well last season? Did you go into this season thinking "yep more of the same please, that'll be enough to keep us up"? I bet you didn't.

We cannot play like we did last season and expect to stay up. We can't play like we have in the last three games and expect to stay up.

Warne has been around for 100+ games - he's not finding his feet anymore. This is his system, his signings, his responsibility. 

Edited by Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

But you started your post about mindset and adopting an underdog mentality. You then went on to talk about defending for 90 minutes. Neither of these things occurred last season so, surely your comments are referring to the three games in the Championship and not the 100+ previously.

I really don't mind if publicly he talks our chances down provided he is more positive when talking to the players which, I strongly suspect he is.

55 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

The lack of budget makes me wonder if Clowes wants to see how Warne deals with the championship, before giving him the pennies to spend. After all, he got rid of Rosenior based on style of play not fitting league 1. Maybe he is wary that Warnes style will not being us the success in the championship.

Or maybe the recruitment team are just out of their depth.

Or, maybe we just don't have the kind of money(in transfer funds or wages) to attract the players PW wants.  We simply do not know the reason - nor should we - and the rest is all speculation.....🐏

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

That's not true at all.

"It was ugly in League One and it’s uglier now" seems pretty conclusive that you made your mind up yonks ago?

He delivered promotion as was expected. Why was it expected?

Because of his record with Rotherham.

Because that league was full of absolute dross last season and our squad was easily one of the best in it.

Your opinion, not a fact.

And a serious question: do you think we played well last season?

At times yes, at times no, but we got the job done.

Did you go into this season thinking "yep more of the same please, that'll be enough to keep us up"? I bet you didn't.

If it works, I don't care much how we play THIS season, because survival trumps aesthetics.

We cannot play like we did last season and expect to stay up. We can't play like we have in the last three games and expect to stay up.

Look at the table. And we've not finished our transfer business.

Warne has been around for 100+ games - he's not finding his feet anymore. This is his system, his signings, his responsibility. 

I think he knows that, don't you?