Paul Warne

Day

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is true because there is no middle position when there is an even number of teams. 12 are in the top, 12 are in the bottom. Stats! 

Aye, correct answer. However...

What if your final position is decided by name alone?

It seems unfair to suggest that despite identical records, Blackburn should be declared an upper mid table team and Derby lower mid table.

Perhaps in such an instance, a mid mid table can exist?

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Aye, correct answer. However...

What if your final position is decided by name alone?

It seems unfair to suggest that despite identical records, Blackburn should be declared an upper mid table team and Derby lower mid table.

Perhaps in such an instance, a mid mid table can exist?

If that’s the case the table should read 

12 Blackburn 

- Derby 

14 next team 

like they do in other events when two competitors are tied 

3 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

Why? This sounds harsh to me, as if you are saying his ability to get teams out of League One has no merit?

That's not what I'm saying at all. 

It has merit in terms of assessing him as a third tier manager, and his potential in the 2nd tier.

Until that potential is realised it's all ifs buts and maybes. Like a player who regularly shines / scores in one league but never quite makes the step up - say, Jason Koumas. You wouldn't consider him a PL standard player but he regularly looked too good for the Championsip.

We've got someone above throwing McClaren under the bus and calling him a clown because he didn't manage to get us promoted to the PL, negatively comparing him to Warne because he got us promoted from League One. It's ridiculous.

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The ex-Derby player and the ex-Derby manager twice? Who also helped out when we were in admin? Big respect from you. 👍

Ex England manager that also helped himself to the admin girl behind his wife’s back. 

Left Craig Bryson out of the play off final a bit like Lampard leaving out Marriott against Aston Villa.

Very ordinary footballer for Derby County, Hull City and others.

He did well as Jim Smiths number 2 and took a lot of glory for a lot of work already put in by Nigel Clough before failing miserably to get us into the play offs in his second attempt.

And if your talking about respect are your the one always full of respect for all things Derby County on here…..yeah right on!!!!  🤣

Edited by Inverurie Ram

3 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I disagree on Peterborough having more ability we had a good shot stopper and the best defence in the league to me thats why we were good defensively not soley tactics.  Boro were a naive side full of young players ,having a few fast dribblers doesnt make you a great side. Defensively its alot more about the players and ball retention creating a team that creates chances easily and are also good defensively is more the sign of a good tactician.

I thought we struggled to take the ascendency and played some very poor disjointed football against teams full of lower league journey men like Fleetwood and Stevanage in the last 2 years at home and away and just did enough to win last season in the run in.   In so many games we were durge we got 2nd which was the target but at the level we were playing at for a club of our size with the players like Cashin,NML and Mcgoldrick he inherited I dont think you can say he has done any more than par, this season is his true test.

Defensively it’s more about the players than the tactical system? I would argue until I’m blue in the face that being categorically incorrect. Obviously you need good players and defenders, but defending as a team is absolutely about the system and the gaps between players and how they’re aligned with each other. 

On Peterborough, they’ve lost Knight to a Bundesliga side, Edwards to a Premier League side and Burrows to a promotion pushing Championship side. They also had Kypriano, Collins, Randell in midfield and Poku and Mason-Clarke in attack. They had a very talented team but the system they played was lacking, perhaps naive, but in terms of individual quality they had a better starting XI for sure, we probably had more depth. 

4 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ross Burbeary was the head of performance last season but he’s now working for Huddersfield, we’ve brought in Rob Price from Leeds but I thought he was more physio/medical in his role. I can’t see who has replaced Burbeary on the club site or in an obvious news article, but you’d think there’d be someone in that role unless it is Price. 

Dave Carolan has replaced Ross Burbeary as head of performance I believe.

His name was mentioned on RD yesterday.

He was previously here under Rowett before he left and joined him at Stoke.

2 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Ex England manager that also helped himself to the admin girl behind his wife’s back. 

Left Craig Bryson out of the play off final a bit like Lampard leaving out Marriott against Aston Villa.

Very ordinary footballer for Derby County, Hull City and others.

He did well as Jim Smiths number 2 and took a lot of glory for a lot of work already put in by Nigel Clough before failing miserably to get us into the play offs in his second attempt.

And if your talking about respect are your the one always full of respect for all things Derby County on here…..yeah right on!!!!  🤣

To be fair to McClaren, he went with the 11 who took Brighton apart, but should have brought Bryson and Bamford on sooner. Second season, he had us top without the services of Thorne, but then lost Martin, Eustace and Mascarell for the rest of the season, Bent for a run of games that left us with no central strikers. Had it not been for two shabby referee performances against Brum and Wolves, we'd have easily qualified for the playoffs. His alleged flirting with Newcastle didn't help team morale, but the main factor was those injuries.

18 hours ago, Crewton said:

To be fair to McClaren, he went with the 11 who took Brighton apart, but should have brought Bryson and Bamford on sooner. Second season, he had us top without the services of Thorne, but then lost Martin, Eustace and Mascarell for the rest of the season, Bent for a run of games that left us with no central strikers. Had it not been for two shabby referee performances against Brum and Wolves, we'd have easily qualified for the playoffs. His alleged flirting with Newcastle didn't help team morale, but the main factor was those injuries.

Aye everyone will have injuries to key positions but to be left with 4 long term injuries and a 5th lesser injury that left us with no focal point up top or defending midfielder really messed us up. Often think what would have happened with one more Mac season, maybe a refresher of some of the wide players etc 

18 hours ago, Crewton said:

In the QPR final - Richard Dunne got MOM as he had Chris Martin in his pocket . Wisdom had nothing to do after the sending off. Blatantly obvious decision- was to bring Bamford on for him to help Martin up front . McLaren dithered , waiting for extra-time . Not hindsight , I called it at the time . Still gutted , talking about it .

19 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Dave Carolan has replaced Ross Burbeary as head of performance I believe.

His name was mentioned on RD yesterday.

He was previously here under Rowett before he left and joined him at Stoke.

Burbeary despite being one of Warne's men, isn't part of the close clan. He left Warne's Rotherham for Lincoln in April 2022, joined us in February 2023, and has now left us in July 2024. Prior to Rotherham he was at Forest for 3 and a half years. If he was a true Warne soldier he wouldn't have left him for Lincoln or took 6 months to join us when Warne and co got hired.