Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We are now in a league in which we should be acting like the biggest club around, because we are the biggest club around. We need to foster a ruthless "we're here to batter whoever is in front of us" mentality instead.

We should fear  nobody in this division.

Brother I love your word

Bring 'em on watch 'em fall

COYR.  🦍🦍🦍

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Didn’t playing under warne do the same for mc g last season too

They've had their 'best' seasons (although McGoldrick had a better goals per game ratio the previous time he dropped down to L1, I believe) but attributing it to them playing under Warne ignores a number of other factors.

NML was a player I was desperate for us to sign when we were trying to survive under Rooney, he only ended up at League One level due to personal problems, not footballing ability.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

He gave Exeter at least 3 fks within shooting range for non-fouls, booked NML incorrectly, did the same to Adams after he'd been fouled repeatedly, didn't book any Exeter players until right near the end despite them leaving a boot on a few Derby players, ignored them waving imaginary cards in his face, and basically refereed Exeter far more leniently.

Apart from that he was mint 🙄

Again, only seeing it from one side.

The 3 fouls were fouls, he didn't give the multiple that Collins should have been done for, did a wrestling move on harper at one point, how he wasn't even booked for doing a stone cold stunner ill never know(he smashed it though, pulled it off flawlessly) . Didn't give the city penalty that was a penalty, he clearly was giving nothing to either team unless it was stonewall which is fair enough. NML got booked for kicking the ball away then dissent afterwards. Cashin should have been off, was the last man, booked him instead.

Swings and roundabouts. 

4 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

The 3 fouls were fouls, he didn't give the multiple that Collins should have been done for, did a wrestling move on harper at one point, how he wasn't even booked for doing a stone cold stunner ill never know(he smashed it though, pulled it off flawlessly) . Didn't give the city penalty that was a penalty, he clearly was giving nothing to either team unless it was stonewall which is fair enough. NML got booked for kicking the ball away then dissent afterwards. Cashin should have been off, was the last man, booked him instead.

Swings and roundabouts. 

Nelson was covering, Cashin wasn’t last man, hence the booking 

9 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

If Cash, Adams and Nyambe are fit to start tonight I’d start them in a back 4 

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Elder 

Bird Adams Hourihane 

NML Collo CBT 

They play 1 striker with 2 10s/wingers kinda of similar to how we ended last season. So I wouldn’t want to waste a man in a back three, even though I think Bradley has played well recently let him have a rest and play Saturday against a very physical Stevenage front 2. 

Also want to see CBT be given a chance from the start again with Bird and Hourihane let free behind him with Adams playing. 

CBT has only started one game against Cheltenham where our midfield 2 was struggling and he couldn’t express himself on the ball as much. 

Exeter fans have said their 2 wing backs aren’t very good defensively so let’s get NML and CBT going at them with 2 competent full backs behind them and take the game to Exeter. 

Management can’t be that hard ?

7 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Swings and roundabouts. 

From assesment, I'd say you've gone native.

I can't be arsed to go through every single incident, but if you read back through the thread, you'll see the opinions of those who watched the game on TV, which pretty much accord with how I saw it from the tin shed. 

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

From assesment, I'd say you've gone native.

I can't be arsed to go through every single incident, but if you read back through the thread, you'll see the opinions of those who watched the game on TV, which pretty much accord with how I saw it from the tin shed. 

Gone native? Please elaborate, I don't get it! 

It's a game of opinions at the end of the day

15 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Swings and roundabouts. 

With the greatest of respect, you might want to watch the incidents you talk of again, which might not be fully possible as they didn’t really happen. 👍

53 minutes ago, sage said:

Where have I criticised Hourihane?

He just doesn't run much and whoever plays with him in a 2 has to run his b******* off.

In a 3 Bird can express himself more. Simple as that.

Warne doesn't pick Hourihane for his running. !!

Exeter gave a really good account of themselves. They played some nice passing football, kept us on the back foot for large spells but never capitalised at any point. They are so very evidently a young side with a lot to learn. A more streetwise team would have run us ragged tonight.

All of our added experience shone through in the end. We were calm, collected, and absolutely surgical on the counter attack. Wildsmith, Nelson, Adams, Bird, Mendez Laing, Barkhuizen and Collins all played important roles in differing ways. Mendez-Laing in particular caused all kinds of problems when we got him into areas where he can hurt the opposition.

All in all, it won’t have got the purists doing laps of their living room, but going to an in-form side on the up and full of confidence and one who had beaten Peterborough only a week prior and delivering an incredibly mature and professional away performance is honestly something Warne and the players deserve massive credit for.

Professional performance last night away to a team in form.  3 excellent goals, all well taken.  I agree with Bird being MoM but it could easily been a few others.  I think Adam’s has been key to an improved Bird.  He’s been that reliable rock in front of the back 3/4 allowing Bird to focus on being further forward in the role Warne wants him to play.  Fornah was signed for the same role but it hasn’t quite worked.  Hopefully he’s watching and learning from Adam’s.

7 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

They've had their 'best' seasons (although McGoldrick had a better goals per game ratio the previous time he dropped down to L1, I believe) but attributing it to them playing under Warne ignores a number of other factors.

NML was a player I was desperate for us to sign when we were trying to survive under Rooney, he only ended up at League One level due to personal problems, not footballing ability.

The other factors being that you don’t like Warne?