Poor substitution

Ramfan1958

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think it’s reasonable to assume that the first two posts on this thread were rather hasty and silly reactions to what the posters thought was a tactical substitution. If so, it’s a shame that neither @Ramfan1958 or @Fuertes’s Passport can’t come back on and concede that may be the case. I guess none of us are big enough to admit we may have got it wrong as often as we should do.

No - that’s a fair point . It was hasty and made when not in possession of all the facts - which is never sensible . I DO maintain , however, that the timing of that substitution at a time when Shrewsbury were in an offensive position on that side of the pitch was reckless at best. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it contributed towards a defensive lapse that cost us in the end . The really valid point was made elsewhere : the captain was knackered and shouid have been substituted .

I also do stand by my perhaps over zealous denunciation of Warne and his tactics. I get it : we are second and in a good position but I find the football really uninspiring and tedious . The tepid , defensive tactics at home- where we seem to put fear of the opposition’s potential above everything else -are very dull.

I add that Tyler Durden’s contributions are invariably laced with sarcasm and seldom contribute to any meaningful debate. He is a tiresome presence. He is quite entitled to disagree with my opinion ( as is everybody else ) but it would be refreshing if he would post some meaningful observations on the football . But to spare his bile, I shall refrain from any further posting .

enjoy the remainder of the season one and all .

6 minutes ago, David said:

Don't. I was there for that game. Had front row seats. Still not completely over it.

Who'd have thought it, 3-0 up and then 83, 85 and 90+1 minute goals, Wassel made subs, Blackman and Bent came on for Thorne and Martin on 75 and 76 mins...nuff said 😉

30 minutes ago, David said:

Don't. I was there for that game. Had front row seats. Still not completely over it.

That's warneball at a higher level though.

The tactical naivety of Warne would be exposed in a similar way,  but Wassall at least understood that the players we had available suited a certain way of playing. 

Heck, he even found a place for Tom Ince that encouraged him to play for the team rather than playing for himself and very few managers (even McClaren) have been able to do that.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

On 10/02/2024 at 19:12, Tamworthram said:

Are we all assuming that Warne was telling porkies in his post match interview when he said Nyambe was feeling an injury?

Irrespective of whether  Warney was being economical with the truth, the situation obviously wasn't managed particularly well. The outcome being 2 valuable points lost. 

9 hours ago, europia said:

Irrespective of whether  Warney was being economical with the truth, the situation obviously wasn't managed particularly well. The outcome being 2 valuable points lost. 

I’m not sure you can say “irrespective of whether Warne’s was being economic with the truth”. What if was telling exactly as it was and if Nyambe had stayed on even for a few more minutes he might have gone down injured and missed a few games as a result? (my gut feeling is he wasn’t that close to a serious injury but I don’t know. It could have been the perfect timing in order to keep him available for all we know). Shouldn’t we have reasonably expected the players on the pitch to deal with the throw in and run into the box? Weren’t there enough experienced players in the box to prevent their player having a free shot from just about the penalty spot?

IF Nayambe was carrying a knock, PW had two choices: leave him on for the remaining 10 minutes (normal time + time added on) and risk the injury worsening or, take him off and trust the rest of the team (including his replacement) to see the game out. Can you imagine the outrage if Nyambe had limped off a few minutes later if PW knew he was feeling a bit of an injury and hadn’t replaced him?

Edited by Tamworthram

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure you can say “irrespective of whether Warne’s was being economic with the truth”. What if was telling exactly as it was and if Nyambe had stayed on even for a few more minutes he might have gone down injured and missed a few games as a result? (my gut feeling is he wasn’t that close to a serious injury but I don’t know. It could have been the perfect timing in order to keep him available for all we know). Shouldn’t we have reasonably expected the players on the pitch to deal with the throw in and run into the box? Weren’t there enough experienced players in the box to prevent their player having a free shot from just about the penalty spot?

IF Nayambe was carrying a knock, PW had two choices: leave him on for the remaining 10 minutes (normal time + time added on) and risk the injury worsening or, take him off and trust the rest of the team (including his replacement) to see the game out. Can you imagine the outrage if Nyambe had limped off a few minutes later if PW knew he was feeling a bit of an injury and hadn’t replaced him?

Spot on mate , think Warney called it right , the players on the pitch at the time should have done much better

4 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

So Nyambe is now doubtful for tomorrow. Seems it was a good decision to pull him off and try to protect him for the run in which will be challenging for all. Everybody would be criticising Warne if he kept him on and he broke down!!

Still poor defending for the goal though. Ho hum, we go again!

Exactly  

I think the poor decision was the actually not substituting Hourihane off.

He was a passenger all game anyway, I really don't understand what he offers from open play, whether it's in or out of possession. After his yellow card, he was even worse. If he wasn't captain, I don't think he'd be getting any minutes, he really needs to step up.

Based on Warnes pre-match comments about Nyambe, it does sound like he took a significant knock.

It was also really interesting to hear Bradley give his account of it. Says they were expecting another long throw into the box and it took them all by surprise. Hard to blame either Warne or Wilson for that one. Collective blame for switching off.

13 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Weren’t there enough experienced players in the box to prevent their player having a free shot from just about the penalty spot?

Apparently not, and it isn't an isolated incident. It's either something that the manager hasn't been able to eradicate through coaching, or the inability of the players to concentrate and manage games. A bit strange considering one thing we do have in the team is lot's of experience. Perhaps just a case of more inconsistency generally in L1. 

Just now, europia said:

Apparently not, and it isn't an isolated incident. It's either something that the manager hasn't been able to eradicate through coaching, or the inability of the players to concentrate and manage games. A bit strange considering one thing we do have in the team is lot's of experience. Perhaps just a case of more inconsistency generally in L1. 

My big frustration in these tight last 10 minutes is a chronic inability to actually control the ball rather than it being like a hot potato.  It's fairly simple - if you control it at that stage, they'll probably be fouling to get it back.

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My big frustration in these tight last 10 minutes is a chronic inability to actually control the ball rather than it being like a hot potato.  It's fairly simple - if you control it at that stage, they'll probably be fouling to get it back.

Exactly. Thats where we need a bit of quality and despite just about every player saying how talented the dressing room is we consistantly play in the last 10mins like we have no brain or talent by a big hoof up field straight to the opposition........Does my head in!

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

17 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

So Nyambe is now doubtful for tomorrow. Seems it was a good decision to pull him off and try to protect him for the run in which will be challenging for all. Everybody would be criticising Warne if he kept him on and he broke down!!

Still poor defending for the goal though. Ho hum, we go again!

"Oooh, matron!", etc.

I think Warne deserves some criticism but you should absolutely take off a player if there's a risk of exacerbating an injury. Defending that throw-in should have been simple stuff. Wilson and Collins both fell asleep to let the runner go, then Thompson slid on his bum for some reason when he could have blocked the cross. And, let's be honest, Nelson & Barkhuizen both should have scored the winner.
It's exhausting that we've got to the point of nit-picking Warne to this degree - it's not FIFA.

1 minute ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I think Warne deserves some criticism but you should absolutely take off a player if there's a risk of exacerbating an injury. Defending that throw-in should have been simple stuff. Wilson and Collins both fell asleep to let the runner go, then Thompson slid on his bum for some reason when he could have blocked the cross. And, let's be honest, Nelson & Barkhuizen both should have scored the winner.
It's exhausting that we've got to the point of nit-picking Warne to this degree - it's not FIFA.

If you should "absolutely take off a player if there is a risk of exacerbating an injury" then why does Warne deserve criticism given that's what he did?