Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

At first I thought you were trying to be funny 😂

You're asking us to defend an argument that we haven't made. It's hardly surprising that McMuffin is somewhat nonplussed.

I did go back and check the Cashin thread and I can see that there are people who claimed that a 4 million sale and loan back would've been a good option with Cashin. That wasn't my opinion. It's a bit unfair to assume we'd know what you meant without at least quoting someone from that thread.

2 hours ago, Mckram said:

It’s been said that the fee was higher than the compensation, so why accept less in the summer? 

it's just guess work.  We don't know how much has been paid, we don't know whether we will be covering his new Champ pay and we don't know what the independent tribunal would have set as training compensation.  If you do then please share it because it would be nice to know

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

You're asking us to defend an argument that we haven't made. It's hardly surprising that McMuffin is somewhat nonplussed

And yet you knew exactly what I meant. 

7 minutes ago, Anon said:

I did go back and check the Cashin thread and I can see that there are people who claimed that a 4 million sale and loan back would've been a good option with Cashin.

So my point was a valid one then?

7 minutes ago, Anon said:

That wasn't my opinion. It's a bit unfair to assume we'd know what you meant without at least quoting someone from that thread.

Did I quote you or refer to you in any direct or indirect manner? I wasn't even talking to you 😂

7 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

And yet you knew exactly what I meant. 

So my point was a valid one then?

Did I quote you or refer to you in any direct or indirect manner? I wasn't even talking to you 😂

I was initially confused. I had to go and find the arguments in the Cashin thread you were referring to.

Your point is valid if you can find instances of the same people praising the proposed Cashin deal and baulking at this one. (I'm not claiming there aren't any) We aren't a hive mind.

Who were you talking to? Derby fans in general is a bit too broad of a group, especially if you're trying to make a point about hypocrisy.

Edited by Anon

41 minutes ago, Anon said:

I was initially confused. I had to go and find the arguments in the Cashin thread you were referring to.

Your point is valid if you can find instances of the same people praising the proposed Cashin deal and baulking at this one. (I'm not claiming there aren't any) We aren't a hive mind.

Who were you talking to? Derby fans in general is a bit too broad of a group, especially if you're trying to make a point about hypocrisy.

Nah, what's up is you've misunderstood a post, then tried twice to attribute meaning to it that it does not contain to try and explain away your own response. I've pointed out that the way fans view individual players has a significant and IMO not entirely fair bearing on how very similar propositions can be viewed in very different ways. The rest of it, you've just feckin made up, presumably because I've somehow managed to upset you without even engaging.

I'll drop myself out at this point as there's been more than enough dull to and fros in recent days without me adding to the count.

21 hours ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Birds comment "Ashton Gate is a great stadium and it's always rocking" is it really? Is that a dig at our fans because we are not whilst being under warne? Paul warne has sucked the life out off our fan base! But its fine we are winning games. 

Or he could be telling their fans what they want to hear.

14 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Not really sure how long folks expect Max to hang around. He's a decent young player who needs to start making his mark at a higher level sooner rather than later otherwise he's going to find a good chunk of his career done and he's in the third tier.

This season was a real opportunity to get ourselves out of this sh** league while it's relatively weaker. Next season will be harder re competition, and with so many players out of contract in the summer we're looking at another near-full team rebuild, which will bring the obligatory "the new players need time to gel" factor. So from Max's perspective you can probably write off next season as well.

For those comparing Derby and Bristol, I'm sorry, but the foreseeable there is no comparison, they're a much better prospect. Yes, eventually they'll re-find their level, and so will we, but for the immediate future if you're a young player looking to push on it's like chalk and cheese. 

Surely they are exactly at their level, bottom half championship side.

9 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Or he could be telling their fans what they want to hear.

"Our average home attendance is now over 22,000 – up nearly 2,000 on last season – with 15,000 Season Ticket holders"... From BCFC.....So he's telling the Brisle fans what they want to hear...

I can't help thinking that if it had been the opposite and Bird had signed a new contract and Cashin been sold and loaned back, then the reaction of a very vocal few would have been very different.
I admit, I find it a strange operation all round considering Bristol apparently have been trying for a while to get the signing done. Surely it could have been moved on quickly, giving us a chance to sign a striker? With the deal that we have come to it is obvious that Bristol really wanted to sign Bird now rather than wait until the summer, or they could have just waited and if needs be increased his wages to get him to sign.

Anyway, thanks Max for all you've given to the club. Thanks for sticking with us when others took what looked like the easy way out. Now show the idiot element what you feel for this club and help us get promotion.

The whole thing remains a bit mysterious. We were told we couldn't buy anyone unless we sold Bird or Cashin, due to the restrictions of the EFL business plan. Warne had said Bird was integral to our promotion push, which I suppose explains the loan back. It seems likely we encouraged Max to sign for Bristol City of all people, so we could buy Niall Ennis, but then Ennis had his last-minute Stoke offer. But if we're talking about the money we are talking about, wouldn't it have been better to buy Macauley Langstaff anyway?

Now Max is stuck in Bristol next season and the club has nothing to show for it and Birdy might have to run the gamut of potential boo boys back at Pride Park, especially if he puts a foot wrong. And doesn't have his options open in the summer to make a considered decision. And such a weird tweet from Derby, ending with "though".  It all just feels a bit shambolic and very unsatisfactory.

5 hours ago, richinspain said:

I can't help thinking that if it had been the opposite and Bird had signed a new contract and Cashin been sold and loaned back, then the reaction of a very vocal few would have been very different.
I admit, I find it a strange operation all round considering Bristol apparently have been trying for a while to get the signing done. Surely it could have been moved on quickly, giving us a chance to sign a striker? With the deal that we have come to it is obvious that Bristol really wanted to sign Bird now rather than wait until the summer, or they could have just waited and if needs be increased his wages to get him to sign.

Anyway, thanks Max for all you've given to the club. Thanks for sticking with us when others took what looked like the easy way out. Now show the idiot element what you feel for this club and help us get promotion.

I wonder whether we are covering his new or old salary?

Wasn't there some k******* from B C continually spewing up tripe about our finances, from the recesses of his Grannie's box room. Wonder what he thinks about all these Rams players they seem to be Hoovering up.

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The whole thing remains a bit mysterious. We were told we couldn't buy anyone unless we sold Bird or Cashin, due to the restrictions of the EFL business plan. Warne had said Bird was integral to our promotion push, which I suppose explains the loan back. It seems likely we encouraged Max to sign for Bristol City of all people, so we could buy Niall Ennis, but then Ennis had his last-minute Stoke offer. But if we're talking about the money we are talking about, wouldn't it have been better to buy Macauley Langstaff anyway?

Now Max is stuck in Bristol next season and the club has nothing to show for it and Birdy might have to run the gamut of potential boo boys back at Pride Park, especially if he puts a foot wrong. And doesn't have his options open in the summer to make a considered decision. And such a weird tweet from Derby, ending with "though".  It all just feels a bit shambolic and very unsatisfactory.

Bird gave an interview to Bristol saying this has been rumbling on for a while and he wanted it to happen, Warne has said Bird made it clear he’d like to move on in the summer, the deal has been done now to guarantee a transfer fee rather than the lottery of compensation in the summer with Bird remaining part of the squad. I see no point in questioning that now.

My stance on it is “it’s done, let’s move on”. Hopefully everyone can just focus for the rest of the season towards promotion and if we did get a decent fee it’ll be evidenced in accounts at some point and ideally reinvested in the playing staff at some stage.