Where do you think we'll finish this season?

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We need to avoid defeat tomorrow. Bolton have clawed some of that goal difference back, which could be vital come final game.

Yes, that's the second time in a matter of weeks Bolton have scored 5 goals in a match. We could do with a decent 3 or 4 nil win at some point, in case it came down to goal difference. Just don't see us a as a high scoring team at the moment. So yes, avoiding defeat tomorrow (and remaining games if possible) would make auto promotion more likely.  

34 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes, that's the second time in a matter of weeks Bolton have scored 5 goals in a match. We could do with a decent 3 or 4 nil win at some point, in case it came down to goal difference. Just don't see us a as a high scoring team at the moment. So yes, avoiding defeat tomorrow (and remaining games if possible) would make auto promotion more likely.  

I honestly believe we ignore GD at our peril. Yes- most expected Bolton to win but we needed by the odd goal….

I have us and Bolton finishing on equal points so goal difference really matters. I can't see us getting any massive wins at this point given the depletion of our strike force. However, with Bolton's tougher fixtures I don't think they'll make the difference if we can equal their tally.

It's going to go to the wire for me but I have us holding on to second on GD.

A win at Pompey changes all of that dramatically though.

19 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

If we're going to be champions, then we should probably be wanting Bolton to beat Portsmouth!

But that'd be worse for our blood pressure!

Finishing as Champions would be a bonus as far as I’m concerned that no one will really remember in a couple of years (it hasn’t done Plymouth much good). If I could somehow fix the result, I’d definitely have Pompey beating Bolton.

Did you know that, even though Derby drew at Portsmouth tonight, they've still drawn the least games in League One. Well I think it's time to make my prediction, the Rams will finish 2nd. The only way I would change that, is if Pompey don't beat Shrewsbury on Saturday and lose at Bolton.

I think Bolton will get a sackful at the weekend.  Bristol Rovers have been horrendous for 2 months, the only highlight being a win over Stevenage.  The teams they are losing against week on week are all at the arse end of the division.  We should have got at least 6 when we played them, 3-0 was a let off. 

29 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think Bolton will get a sackful at the weekend.  Bristol Rovers have been horrendous for 2 months, the only highlight being a win over Stevenage.  The teams they are losing against week on week are all at the arse end of the division.  We should have got at least 6 when we played them, 3-0 was a let off. 

That would be my concern, Bolton could Have a better goal difference than us by the end of the weekend. 

Bristol Rovers aren’t getting anything from the game, that’s for sure.

Looking at Bolton’s fixtures, anything less than 10 points from their last 5 is a slip up from them.

Rovers away and Shrewsbury & Vale at home should be 9 points.

They should be able to get 1 point minimum from Portsmouth at home and Peterborough away. After last night, Portsmouth may be happy for a point again. They could go up in the Bolton game, but if they don’t lose then Bolton won’t catch them and they’re as good as up anyway.

If we aren’t already up by the Carlisle game, hopefully Peterborough are 3 points behind us too. If they have any chance of getting top 2, they’ll give Bolton a much harder game than if they’re already confirmed in the play-offs.

That means 10 points should be more than enough for us, or 9 points and hope we can rely on goal difference. Bolton winning the rest of their games would mean 6 wins in a row which they haven’t done all season. They also seem to go missing in “big” games and although they can score a lot, they don’t always follow that up with another good performance.

I’d be surprised if 4 wins are necessary for us to get over the line, but I think if we don’t manage to win 3 of the 4 then it won’t be enough. I think we’ll do it, but only just.

So....

Firstly I'm ignoring GD.

If we hold off Bolton, it pretty much means we hold off Posh and Barnsley too.

I'm taking it as certain Bolton win v Bristol Rovers (A), Shrews (H) and Carlisle (H).

If Bolton win their last 5 games, and get 15 points, we need 12 points i.e. we need win all 4 of ours. [Scenario unlikely]

If Bolton win four but draw either Pompey (H) or Posh (A) game, they have 13 points. We then need 10 points - 3 W and 1 D [Scenario possible]

If Bolton lose to either Pompey (H) or Posh (A) but win the other 4 matches, they have 12 points. We then need 9 points - 3W and 1 L [Scenario possible]

If Bolton draw to both Pompey (H) and Posh (A), they have 11 points. We then need 8 points, so either 3W and 1L or 2W and 2D. [Scenario quite possible]

If Bolton draw one and lose one versus Pompey (H) and Posh (A), they have 10 points. We then need 7 points so 2W 1D 1L would do it. [Scenario less likely]

Bolton manage only 9 points, losing to both Pompey (H) and Posh (A). We then need 6 points so 2W and 2L or 1W and 3D would do it. [Scenario unlikely]

I'm not entertaining Bolton getting less than 9 points.

Note: if we have better GD, take one point off each of our points needed total (obviously!)

Edited by Sheff Ram

It is very much in our hands now. Before the Bolton game I'd have said our hardest ones left were them, Blackpool and Pompey and we've come through those with 7pts. Trouble is for every game like those we throw in a Northampton so who knows. I said on one of the other topics given Bolton's fixtures, if they do get promoted it'll mean two things have happened. One would be they've gone on a storming run of form probably including beating Pompey and/or Peterborough but even doing that can only be enough if we drop points from a very favourable run of games. Wycombe is tricky but they've got nothing to play for. Leyton Orient nothing to play for. Cambridge might actually be the one with something riding on it for them but they could/should be safe by then. Carlisle will be relegated by the last day. Sometimes these nothing to play for games go the other way and teams come out swinging with no pressure. Who knows but I'll be bitterly disappointed if we blow it now having done most of the hard work. 

7 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

So....

Firstly I'm ignoring GD.

If we hold off Bolton, it pretty much means we hold off Posh and Barnsley too.

I'm taking it as certain Bolton win v Bristol Rovers (A), Shrews (H) and Carlisle (H).

If Bolton win their last 5 games, and get 15 points, we need 12 points i.e. we need win all 4 of ours. [Scenario unlikely]

If Bolton win four but draw either Pompey (H) or Posh (A) game, they have 13 points. We then need 10 points - 3 W and 1 D [Scenario possible]

If Bolton lose to either Pompey (H) or Posh (A) but win the other 4 matches, they have 12 points. We then need 9 points - 3W and 1 L [Scenario possible]

If Bolton draw to both Pompey (H) and Posh (A), they have 11 points. We then need 8 points, so either 3W and 1L or 2W and 2D. [Scenario quite possible]

If Bolton draw one and lose one versus Pompey (H) and Posh (A), they have 10 points. We then need 7 points so 2W 1D 1L would do it. [Scenario less likely]

Bolton manage only 9 points, losing to both Pompey (H) and Posh (A). We then need 6 points so 2W and 2D or 1W and 3D would do it. [Scenario unlikely]

I'm not entertaining Bolton getting less than 9 points.

Note: if we have better GD, take one point off each of our points needed total (obviously!)

You didn't actually answer the question 😏

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Looking at Bolton’s fixtures, anything less than 10 points from their last 5 is a slip up from them.

Rovers away and Shrewsbury & Vale at home should be 9 points.

They should be able to get 1 point minimum from Portsmouth at home and Peterborough away. After last night, Portsmouth may be happy for a point again. They could go up in the Bolton game, but if they don’t lose then Bolton won’t catch them and they’re as good as up anyway.

If we aren’t already up by the Carlisle game, hopefully Peterborough are 3 points behind us too. If they have any chance of getting top 2, they’ll give Bolton a much harder game than if they’re already confirmed in the play-offs.

That means 10 points should be more than enough for us, or 9 points and hope we can rely on goal difference. Bolton winning the rest of their games would mean 6 wins in a row which they haven’t done all season. They also seem to go missing in “big” games and although they can score a lot, they don’t always follow that up with another good performance.

I’d be surprised if 4 wins are necessary for us to get over the line, but I think if we don’t manage to win 3 of the 4 then it won’t be enough. I think we’ll do it, but only just.

Agree with all of this.

If Posh have nothing to play for then Bolton have struck lucky playing a good team at exactly the right time.

Got to hope Bolton don't go on their best run of the season and to be honest if we can't beat Wycombe who will either be hungover or gutted at losing a final with us having a week to prepare then its a bad job. Carlisle is a slam dunk, so just need to win at least one of Leyton Orient or Cambridge.

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You didn't actually answer the question 😏

That's right. I was merely facilitating others to answer the question, such is my selfless personality 😏

Posh might have nothing to play for on that last day but even then you'd take a last day against Carlisle at home over a last day away at Posh every day of the week wouldn't you? Just have to hope we're still in front by then. 

There is of course a scenario where a draw is no good to Posh or Bolton on that last game anyway to catch us which probably increases the chances of a Bolton win slightly also? 

Realistically Peterborough should be going into that last game with at least the possibility of overhauling Bolton into 3rd to play for and that alone should be some incentive given the playoff game against the 6th team is likely to be a bit easier than playing Barnsley presumably. 

Edited by TheTinMan