Charlton Athletic v Derby - Match Day Thread

Maybe, just maybe, we have watched how Charlton play & their weaknesses and picked a team to target this.

Ward coming in suggests we want plenty of decent balls in the box as well as corners which feeds into the Charlton fans not rating the GK. 

Charlton play with a front 2 of Ladapo & May, if we played a back 4 and had our 2 CBs against them 2 we would struggle, they struggled vs Cheltenhams front 2 and May/Ladapo are better than those 2. So a back 3 makes sense, gives us a spare man to clear up as well as having Bradleys height in both boxes for set pieces.

In possession we could quite easily end up in a 3142

44 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This wreaks of Billy Davies. Sign a few players in January then abandon everything you did to go on a good run in December, and try something completely different.  FFS.

We were already doing that, which is why the results have dropped.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Reading done us a favour already, taking a point at Oxford, so -2 as far as we are concerned.

But we tend not to do ourselves any favours!

40 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So in this hypothetical scenario, was Warne deliberately using 4 at the back to get worse results than "his way", or does he know that 4 at the back is better than "his way" which is why we kept playing 4 at the back?

I dunno to be honest. I've given up trying to understand the team selection and tactics.

I do think he was reluctant to play 4 at the back but gave in to the fact that the players we have suited that formation better.

But I do think he's wanted to switch to a back 3/5 and, in fairness, he should go with whatever he believes is the best system.