The League of Enjoyment

Jourdan

21 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

There’s only one George Burley, one George Burley….

Pretty sure the only fees we paid for that side were 200k for Peschisolido and maybe the same for either Kenna or Johnson.  Teams can be put together for tuppence and an elastic band if you have the right contacts and eyes on the market .  The whole whoa is me were light on the ground for a squad is wearing very thin.  About 13 new players have come in.  If proper thought hasn't been given to injury records, age and positional responsibility when they come in, that's the managers fault.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Some of the football Warne serves up is topped only by the likes of Jewell and Phil Brown for me. And Warne is managing it in League One. All the others have had tougher opposition to deal with.

Hopefully you have interacted with me over the years enough times to know I don't say stuff like that about managers flippantly. 

We are in the worst division we have been in for decades and have been outplayed at times by the likes of Cheltenham and Shrewsbury. I have seen some of the most clueless, ineffective hoofball I've ever seen from a Rams team. 

It’s interesting how perspectives are so different.

I remember us losing 6-1 v Coventry under Brown and it was so toxic that fans were fighting in the stands.

This was a side that still had Smith and Idiakez and several players who played key roles in our two play-off runs in 04-05 and 06-07. A side that looked unrecognisable.

I remember us losing to Reading that same season under Westley by a similar score line and we were so outclassed that I had to leave early and sit on the coach and calm down.

I just don’t see how Warne can be that low down in the conversation. Some of those performances under Gregory, Brown and Jewell are still with me 15-20 years later.

We are a League 1 side with League 1 standard players at this stage in their careers. Who will remember losing away at Stevenage or Reading this season in the same way?

Yes, we have lost games and yes, we have had some poor performances. But find me any big club who have fallen into League 1 and not had to suffer a reality check or been victim of a scalp now and again, never mind a club 18 months on from administration and near extinction.

Clueless, ineffective hoofball? I think when the balance has been right, Warne has got us playing some nice football. When we were in the middle of that unbeaten run last season, everyone was purring.

Edited by Jourdan

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I remember us losing 6-1 v Coventry under Brown and it was so toxic that fans were fighting in the stands.

This was a side that still had Smith and Idiakez and several players who played key roles in our two play-off runs in 04-05 and 06-07. A side that looked unrecognisable.

I remember us losing to Reading that same season under Westley by a similar score line and we were so outclassed that I had to leave early and sit on the coach and calm down.

I just don’t see how Warne can be that low down in the conversation. Some of those performances under Gregory, Brown and Jewell are still with me 15-20 years later.

We are a League 1 side with League 1 standard players at this stage in their careers. Who will remember losing away at Stevenage or Reading this season in the same way?

Yes, we have lost games and yes, we have had some poor performances. But find me any big club who have fallen into League 1 and not had to suffer a reality check or been victim of a scalp now and again, never mind a club 18 months on from administration and near extinction.

Clueless, ineffective hoofball? I think when the balance has been right, Warne has got us playing some nice football. When we were in the middle of that unbeaten run last season, everyone was purring.

I was at the 6-1 Coventry game, think we were 1 up in the first minute 🤣 Yes, the anger shown towards Tango Man was actually quite shocking, felt sorry for him that day 🥲

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was at the 6-1 Coventry game, think we were 1 up in the first minute 🤣 Yes, the anger shown towards Tango Man was actually quite shocking, felt sorry for him that day 🥲

I decided to go at the last minute and Pesch scored within seconds and I thought well, that was sound judgement!

How wrong I was!

As I remember there were fights amongst our own fans as some objected to the lack of support for the team and the manager.

But it could also have been because of people trying to get in between the fans and Danny Graham.

Edited by Jourdan

Just now, Jourdan said:

So you would put Warne above a former Real Madrid assistant coach?

I agree.

Yes, that's the takeaway Jourdan.

If you can't be bothered debating like an adult, maybe just ignore any inconvenient posts next time 👍

Being a kid from a football zero interest family I never really got to see Bald Eagle days just the highlights I saw if I managed to commondeer a TV for MOTD. I'll list my top few for the ones I actually attended to see though:

1. Steve Mac - Incredible season that deserved so much more. Seasons after were still fun if dissapointing.

2. George Burley - Soon as we got Rasiak, Idiakez and Bisgaard we were rockin and rollin. Idiakez best freekick taker i've ever seen live. Leon Osman kept us up season before with some crucial goals, remember us chanting Leon sign for us after FT last day. Also coffee cup game...

3. Lampard - Had some bad runs especially when Mount was injured but the games were exciting.

4. Rooney/Rosenoir - Fun games against the odds, good atmosphere.

5. Wassall - He wasn't that bad really.

6. Clement - This guy was the total antithesis of Warne, loads of passes and possesion but we were cruising it before a wobble and a certain Melephant hitting the big red button.

Rest I struggle to differentiate, honestly couldn't stand Davies.

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

All the managers that you are so keen to have us compare Warne to were all managing a club in either the Premier League or the Championship.

Warne is the only one on that, other than Rosenior, who has managed us in League One.

On that basis the only fair comparison is between those two managers and I would take Rosenior back over Warne in a heartbeat, with hindsight. 

1 hour ago, David said:

1. Steve McClaren

2. Frank Lampard

3. George Burley

4. Wayne Rooney

5. Paul Warne

6. Liam Rosenior

7. Gary Rowett

8. Billy Davies

9. Philip Cocu

10. Paul Clement

11. Nigel Clough

12. Paul Jewell

13. Phil Brown

14. Nigel Pearson

Lampard over Burley?

I think Lampard’s season was good in terms of the connection between fans and the team.

But in terms of football, that side under Burley with Idiakez, Smith, Taylor, Rasiak and Bisgaard were much better to watch.

It's all subjective, and the best anyone could say about the last 3 matches is they have been incredibly frustrating.  My memory might be playing tricks on me, but the John Newman team of the 80s played  dire stuff week in week out, and the 83-84 relegation, initially with Taylor and then McFarland, was truly awful, despite the run to the Cup Q-finals.   Maybe its an age thing but that season was so demoralizing as a fresh faced 17 year old, as I really believed Taylor would lead us back to Division 1.   Turned out John Robertson was past it, and so was Taylor sadly.   Took Cox two seasons to sort it out, and this is where I get a bit annoyed with PW.   We did play football in 85-86, as did Ipswich last season, not just relying on athleticism.   However despite the crowds, we don't have the financial pull we had in the Cox era. Gregory, Micklewhite, Christie all dropped divisions to come to Derby, and we paid fees for gems like Geriant Williams and Mel Sage.   The madness of Mel (Morris not Sage!) and the punitive actions of the EFL have left us shopping at Age Concern, and as a support we don't like it as our self image is we are better than this.   So do I think we have the league One Guardiola - definitely not, do I think Warne can get us promoted - maybe.   What can we do about it?   Try and stay behind the team when Cheltenham or similar have spells of giving us the run around and don't think we've won the league when we have nights like Oxford (A).   In the end we scrapped over the line in 85-86 with a dodgy penalty v Rotherham. It might be the same this season, it might not - we are too inconsistent for me to make any predictions.   But don't let the frustrations get to you as being a Derby fan, if you haven't realised already, drives you mad if you let it. 🙂

Up the Rams

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Lampard over Burley?

I think Lampard’s season was good in terms of the connection between fans and the team.

But in terms of football, that side under Burley with Idiakez, Smith, Taylor, Rasiak and Bisgaard were much better to watch.

I don’t want to be that guy, but the title says enjoyment, you then ask for quality and entertainment.

Just went with enjoyment/entertainment when picking.

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

All the managers that you are so keen to have us compare Warne to were all managing a club in either the Premier League or the Championship.

Warne is the only one on that, other than Rosenior, who has managed us in League One.

On that basis the only fair comparison is between those two managers and I would take Rosenior back over Warne in a heartbeat, with hindsight. 

I just thought it would be an interesting discussion point and not necessarily dominated by talk about the current manager.

We’ve had enough Warne v Rosenior debates to last a lifetime.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I keep reading people saying ‘this is the worst football I’ve ever seen’ or words to that effect when discussing the football being played under Warne at the moment.

Is that really true, or are people’s memories selective?

How would you rank our managers during our time in the Championship and League 1 based on the quality of the football and entertainment delivered?

1. George Burley

2. Steve McClaren

3. Billy Davies

4. Nigel Clough

5. Frank Lampard

6. Paul Warne

7. Darren Wassall

8. Gary Rowett

9. Wayne Rooney

10. Liam Rosenior

11. Philip Cocu

12. Paul Clement

13. Phil Brown

14. Terry Westley

15. Nigel Pearson

16. John Gregory

17. Paul Jewell

you can't really compare warne to the others though as he is the only one (except rosenior's very brief spell) who has had the best squad in the division and at the same time had comfortably easier fixtures than all the other managers. 

It’s all opinions re enjoyment. I’ve always enjoyed a direct game where the ball moves from defence to attack quickly. I actually enjoyed a few of the Gary Rowett games. I distinctly remember us turning Fulham over on a Tuesday night where Dave Nugent was on fire.

Gonna get pelters for this but Warne’s football is the worst I have seen in my time watching Derby. We are in the lowest position we have ever been since I have started watching the Rams, and there is such an absence of any football know how on the pitch. No midfield, no game plan, just get it out wide and cross until the ball somehow lands at the strikers feet. 

4 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

It’s all opinions re enjoyment. I’ve always enjoyed a direct game where the ball moves from defence to attack quickly. I actually enjoyed a few of the Gary Rowett games. I distinctly remember us turning Fulham over on a Tuesday night where Dave Nugent was on fire.

Gonna get pelters for this but Warne’s football is the worst I have seen in my time watching Derby. We are in the lowest position we have ever been since I have started watching the Rams, and there is such an absence of any football know how on the pitch. No midfield, no game plan, just get it out wide and cross until the ball somehow lands at the strikers feet. 

Thing is when i'm with my mate at games we just kinda try to talk about the tactics and performances and we just kinda just stare blankly "yeah it's pretty s***". Pretty amazing for a team 3 points off top of the league.

5 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Spot on. 
Warne has drained me of all enthusiasm. I’ve been a die hard fan for too many years to mention, but not feeling the excitement  with Warne and his methods

Of those you listed:

1.Steve McClaren - 2013/14 just loved that group of players but the first sliding doors Wembley moment

2. Frank Lampard - were some disappointing periods but huge fun along the way and that second sliding doors Wembley moment - if only he hadnt already gone in his head

3. George Burley - great football but I didnt go as much as my boys were too small 

Would obviously put Cox and Smith above those but didnt see the heights of the 70s.

As for the others many had their ups and downs 

- Cocu the period before lockdown and was Sibley's hat-rick game straight after? Often turgid but good attitude to youth

- Davies - the promotion against expectations

-Rooney/Rosenior - the passion and togetherness at our lowest ebb, building a team in record time and the relief we escaped