Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

9 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I'm also unhappy with the performances, but fully understand that getting the result is what counts, and am pleased we got it. I still don't believe booing the team off at 0-0 is helpful, and we don't need such fans. Looking forward to Charlton next week, my first away match.

I don't advocate for booing, but it's really no surprise that fans aren't happy with such a performance. Winning at home vs bottom of the table league one sides is the absolute minimum expectation for Derby. They don't get plaudits for meeting that. 

1 minute ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

The Cheltenham player that collided with the post right at the end looked like he really hurt himself. Anybody know how he is?

Who cares. Tried snap Barkhuizen in two. Thug of a player. 

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't advocate for booing, but it's really no surprise that fans aren't happy with such a performance. Winning at home vs bottom of the table league one sides is the absolute minimum expectation for Derby. They don't get plaudits for meeting that. 

i'm not for the booing,but other than walking out,how do the fans let warne know of their dissatisfaction with the display

Personally I am thrilled. That was a much needed win and we showed character to claw ourselves back into the game. In years gone by, we would have lost that game in a typical Derby fashion.

Of course the performance police will be gutted, but we have had games where we have played well and not got the desired result. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Given the injuries are mounting up, the squad is looking stretched and we have little flexibility and movement in the transfer window, all that matters at the moment is getting results and keeping ourselves in the hunt.

People forget that once you are into January and beyond, every game carries jeopardy and sometimes it’s more about showing guts, determination and grit and getting something out of the game than having a picture perfect performance.

People would be complaining about a lack of character if we were playing well and not getting results. Warne and the players, as frustrating as they can be, cannot really win at the moment.

It sounds like Cheltenham made it very difficult for us and deserve credit, which many people suggested they would by highlighting their turnaround under Clarke, so I can’t understand the outrage.

We got a good result from a very awkward fixture and if nothing else, it consolidates our place in the top six and keeps us in striking distance of the top two.

Maybe it’s just me but I’ll be enjoying my Saturday evening.

36 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Exactly this. It's bullying. Does the manager think he's being funny? Shame on him, steadily chip chip chipping away at the players who aren't in his clique. For me the best case scenario is we scrape up, Warne gets found out (as he surely will) early next season and we move quickly to bring in another manager.

I didnt say bullying as thought I'd be told I was being girlie but yes you are right it is.
Problem with your scenario is that he has the summer on transfers. 

Another pretty mediocre performance rescued by two moments of high quality.  We seemed to be playing a 5 0 5 formation with Hourihane just in front of the defence with Bird and Barkhuizen just behind the front three. OK I'm exaggerating a bit, but how many passes were there between Hourihane, Bird and Barkuizen in the first half?  In my head about five - I'd have to watch the match again to find out, but life is too short for that!  I thought Sibley and Wilson played pretty well in the circumstances - they were looking to go forward and commit the opposition.  It failed fairly regularly, but at least they were asking questions.  Much of the time there was no forward pass on due to our lack of movement, so they were forced into taking on their opposite number.  They looked more natural as wing backs, but that obviously means Bradley is on the pitch.  He didn't really worry me today, but I'm still not overly keen on a back three.  I felt a bit sorry for CBT - the passes to him were not playing to his strengths as they were either too far ahead or just behind him.  I hope it'll improve with familiarity, but our bypassing of the midfield means the chances of a good through-ball are lower.  

Our stupid fouls were driving me crackers.  On nearly every occasion I could see what was going to happen before it did, so why can the players not realise?  It constantly ruined the little rhythm we had, wasted time and gave Cheltenham chances to attack.

At least we got three points.  

3 hours ago, strawhillram said:

He talks about players being brave, but he isn’t himself. Only plays one way and scared to change

Puts youth on the bench but won’t play them unless we have a 3 goal plus lead!!

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Personally I am thrilled. That was a much needed win and we showed character to claw ourselves back into the game. In years gone by, we would have lost that game in a typical Derby fashion.

Of course the performance police will be gutted, but we have had games where we have played well and not got the desired result. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Given the injuries are mounting up, the squad is looking stretched and we have little flexibility and movement in the transfer window, all that matters at the moment is getting results and keeping ourselves in the hunt.

People forget that once you are into January and beyond, every game carries jeopardy and sometimes it’s more about showing guts, determination and grit and getting something out of the game than having a picture perfect performance.

People would be complaining about a lack of character if we were playing well and not getting results. Warne and the players, as frustrating as they can be, cannot really win at the moment.

It sounds like Cheltenham made it very difficult for us and deserve credit, which many people suggested they would by highlighting their turnaround under Clarke, so I can’t understand the outrage.

We got a good result from a very awkward fixture and if nothing else, it consolidates our place in the top six and keeps us in striking distance of the top two.

Maybe it’s just me but I’ll be enjoying my Saturday evening.

I enjoyed the result and I enjoyed two very good goals. However, I was disappointed with our performance for the first 60 minutes. If that makes me a member of your so called “performance police” then guilty as charged.

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Of course the performance police will be gutted

I’m disappointed when we continually put in mediocre performances. That’s not because I’m a football purist (tho I’d strongly prefer to see good football). It’s because if we play mediocre football we’ll probably miss automatics and probably fail to beat Barnsley, Bolton or Peterborough over two legs 

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Well that was cack other than our goals which were excellent.

The tactical plan B worked very well though, so have to give some credit for that. Probably stick with that formation until the first choice full backs are back and play ONLY ONE of Hairyhands or Bird.

Absolutely agree with sticking with 3 at the back until first choice full backs return, means Wilson can be a bit more attacking for starters.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Wasn’t great was it. The goals were, the rest not so.

3 points in the bag though, that’s all matters at this stage of the season.

On to the next! Good thing is the performance can only get better.