Everton and Forest - FFP

simmoram1995

On 15/01/2024 at 07:59, David said:

Can anyone explain why Manchester City are avoiding answering their 115 charges before the rule changes in August, whilst Forest and Everton must answer them now?

115 charges which has dragged on for how long?

I want to sit here and take the piss out of Forest as nature intended, however it's just wrong how Manchester City are continuing and picking up silverware whilst others are having the book thrown at them.

Teams have to be allowed to build a defence against these cases according to the POF podcast. As Man City have so many charges they have to be given a similar time frame to build a defence against each case. I think Kieran Maguire said that he expects City’s cases to be heard sometime towards the end of the 2024/25 or 2025/26 season.

As the legal fees come out of the clubs pockets, it’s possible that Man City could get away with it because they will probably get it to keep dragging on and on with legal fees for the PL getting ridiculously high.

As for Everton, I believe that there case has dragged on for some time, longer than I expected anyway, with all the evidence having to be heard by a committee. 

From what I’ve read Forest could be quicker to have their hearing, because they simply spent more than they were allowed.

2 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Teams have to be allowed to build a defence against these cases according to the POF podcast. As Man City have so many charges they have to be given a similar time frame to build a defence against each case. I think Kieran Maguire said that he expects City’s cases to be heard sometime towards the end of the 2024/25 or 2025/26 season.

As the legal fees come out of the clubs pockets, it’s possible that Man City could get away with it because they will probably get it to keep dragging on and on with legal fees for the PL getting ridiculously high.

As for Everton, I believe that there case has dragged on for some time, longer than I expected anyway, with all the evidence having to be heard by a committee. 

From what I’ve read Forest could be quicker to have their hearing, because they simply spent more than they were allowed.

115 charges is a lot, I grant you that.

So why not break them down, 10 at a time in chronological order. 

I suspect you're right, PL write it off, or come to an agreement with Man City where they pay X million fine and grassroots funding, try and spin it into a positive for the game and a win for them.

56 minutes ago, David said:

I suspect you're right, PL write it off, or come to an agreement with Man City where they pay X million fine and grassroots funding, try and spin it into a positive for the game and a win for them.

I agree with that, but there is a reason why. I can’t remember exactly why. I think it was something along the lines of having to put a defence together for every case before they get heard. 

In other words, let the lawyers get richer and the big name gets more time to try and get out of it.

1 hour ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

According to the press, Forest may try to defend against their case on the basis that if they’d sold Brennan Johnson earlier (at a reduced amount) they would have been within the rules. Well derrrr. They should have done so then.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

According to the press, Forest may try to defend against their case on the basis that if they’d sold Brennan Johnson earlier (at a reduced amount) they would have been within the rules.

Not terribly compelling, is it? We could have sold BJ and adhered to FFP rules, but we thought we'd royally take the piss instead 😂

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

According to the press, Forest may try to defend against their case on the basis that if they’d sold Brennan Johnson earlier (at a reduced amount) they would have been within the rules. Well derrrr. They should have done so then.

I don't pay much / if any attention to Forests finances, but from what I've read they simply spent more than they are allowed to. It's frustrating when teams are coming up with these lame excuses for not staying within the rules.

Everton had a number of similar excuses that are laughable. They tried to defend themselves by saying one of their signings underperformed. Well I'm afraid that happens at most clubs.

I'm no finance expert, but surely ffp should be more black and white than its being made out to be. You can spend x amount. If you spend more you get punished with a points deduction for every million or so you overspend.

Interesting to note. 

At the same time, it was never Randall signing off the transfers, identifying the players or agreeing their salaries. That, ultimately, was Marinakis and it will be interesting to see the owner’s reaction. Does he come out swinging or does he accept responsibility?

https://theathletic.com/5201583/2024/01/15/nottingham-forest-premier-league-charges/

Man City's charges are different. It's between the years 2009-2018. And they have rejected the charges so it's up to the PL to prove they are guilty, which then permits City to appeal. It's going to roll on for years.

Everton and Forest, meanwhile, have both accepted they fell foul of the rules. They may fight the punishment, but they have already accepted the charges.

The whole mess has come about because of stupid FFP rules anyway. FFP was never brought in to stop smaller clubs from spending above their means and potentially going bust. It was brought in to protect their main assets, to stop smaller clubs from doing a Man City and knocking Man Utd off their perch.

I find it ridiculous how Newcastle may have to sell players to buy. Let them spend. 

Apply a wage and signing bonus cap instead. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Man City's charges are different. It's between the years 2009-2018. And they have rejected the charges so it's up to the PL to prove they are guilty, which then permits City to appeal. It's going to roll on for years.

Everton and Forest, meanwhile, have both accepted they fell foul of the rules. They may fight the punishment, but they have already accepted the charges.

The whole mess has come about because of stupid FFP rules anyway. FFP was never brought in to stop smaller clubs from spending above their means and potentially going bust. It was brought in to protect their main assets, to stop smaller clubs from doing a Man City and knocking Man Utd off their perch.

I find it ridiculous how Newcastle may have to sell players to buy. Let them spend. 

Apply a wage and signing bonus cap instead. 

I don’t think either Forest or Everton have accepted they have fallen foul of the rules have they? Simply acknowledged the charges against them.

Any punishment wouldn’t be revealed until early April.

3 minutes ago, David said:

That would mean the PL have a good handle by then on what was needed.

-10 for the accounts and -*enough* based on aggravating factors such as failing to lose a sufficient amount of games, visual-olfactory distress caused to players, coaches and supporters of other clubs, offensive use of bagpipes at the city ground (there could be no end of these if we put our minds to it, hopefully the PL are fans of this particular forum thread)

9 hours ago, David said:

A bit like Bernie Ecclestone in his bribery case in Germany. He paid £60,000,000 and basically became 'innocent'.

Shameless.

14 minutes ago, David said:

I don’t think either Forest or Everton have accepted they have fallen foul of the rules have they? Simply acknowledged the charges against them.

Pretty sure both have accepted they have exceed the limits but there are mitigating circumstances for why. Difference between them and City, is the PL have to prove they did something, whereas both Everton and Forests have submitted the figures showing they have.

On 15/01/2024 at 13:45, Red_Dawn said:

That doesn't mean they should just ignore it though. All the while chasing other apparent mischievous clubs who've committed a fraction of the reported breaches. 

Were your ears burning Dawnie?

Is that because there's a large Greek gentleman behind you with one of his special Russian cocktails?😉