Ex/Reformed Football Hooligan wanted for Case Study

utisbug

47 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Were the "scuffles" always fists or did it involve bottles, coins, etc?

49 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Were the "scuffles" always fists or did it involve bottles, coins, etc?

Mainly feet and hands. Coins tended to be inside the ground and at one time Kung Fu stars weren't unknown...

On 08/01/2024 at 15:03, utisbug said:

Hi,

I'm a Psychotherapist and am currently looking for an ex/reformed football hooligan to take part in a short interview discussing their motivations and experience.

This would be voluntary and you would remain anonymous in the report. The findings will be produced as part of a study looking into the lived experience of football hooligans. The interview will take no longer than 50 minutes and can take place over zoom or in person.

If you have any questions please let me know

Thank you for your time

Curtis

I wonder if any are really ex or reformed, more likely just old! 😄 I hate football hooliganism.

On 08/01/2024 at 15:03, utisbug said:

Hi,

I'm a Psychotherapist and am currently looking for an ex/reformed football hooligan to take part in a short interview discussing their motivations and experience.

This would be voluntary and you would remain anonymous in the report. The findings will be produced as part of a study looking into the lived experience of football hooligans. The interview will take no longer than 50 minutes and can take place over zoom or in person.

If you have any questions please let me know

Thank you for your time

Curtis

It’s all to do with telic- & para-telic meta-motivational states, modified by the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol and/or other drugs and, if you are of the Freudian persuasion as a psychotherapist, being stuck at the point of penis-envy added to a failure to process feelings of maternal warmth, possibly due to an absence of breast-feeding, wherein you are driven to sublimate internalise feelings of inadequacy by subjecting perceived rivals to violence and aggressive verbal abuse. Or summat 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Being a teenager in the early seventies it was part of the match day “ experience “🤕

Yes I think it was still that way to an extent into the 80s.  Even if you weren't a football hooligan it was seen as part of the excitement.    I don't remember it being frowned upon at all - it probably was by older fans I guess. 

9 hours ago, RebelScum said:

The play 'The Firm' - the original, NOT THE REMAKE deals with it very well IMO.

Directed by Alan Clarke and written by Al Hunter (an ex hooligan himself).

The character Dominic comes across slightly inadequate throughout. At the end he is ranting to the TV people "it's about belonging".

...It's also worth a watch for the nasty guy in Murphy's Mob playing a copper and dealing with Benny from Grange Hill who has just been cut up...

"come on the train from London did you?... Ah, hitch-hiked... And your name is (looks at statement), Michael Jackson... You're going to need some more plastic surgery Michael!"

😆

Filmed at the BBG and directed by Mikey Dolenz of The Monkees if memory serves

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, I was at that game. 3 players sent off for Newcastle and I think we only won one-nil.

The time that sticks most in my mind was a game against Chelsea when all routes back to the bus station were closed off.

Ran a lot of miles that day. Still, I suppose it helped keep you fit.

We walloped them 4-1 they finished with 8 men on the pitch and Mc Dermott was sent from the dugout too, think that's what riled the Newcastle fans so much. 

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

As you know ICF/DLF were not around then, Tho the Mile End Boys were...WHU, We had a beating in the Greyhound Pub at the back of Wembley Stadium 50 of us on the coach against many more.

Just before the game had finished we could see WHU fans leaving the ground, All Derby stayed behind to cheer Roy Mac and the lads with the Shield, By that time we got to leave the ground half of London was outside there waiting for us, It didn't look good, But we had a fella in Kev O'Reilly as hard as they come, Stood on the steps and screaming at us to move forward, We had 2 choices...do as he said and get a beating or go back in the ground and get a beating when back in town, We chose the 1st option, It wasn't very good as our numbers were still coming out of the ground but soon enough the numbers were getting on equal terms...then numbers in our favour, As you said it was the Derbyshire Miners that helped take the day...and night in Old London Town.

A very hot day with dust clouds all over the place, The police just couldn't cope, You say it lasted a few seconds not where we were concerned, It was payback for the Greyhound incident, Scaffolding poles and planks were at hand, Bottles from inside the ground were used by both sides...probably the worst violence I've seen or been involved in as a 19 year old

Years later talking to some "ICF" lads who were there, They admitted it was our day, Bill Gardner who was their top lad admitted through gritted teeth that "Derby had WHU on their toes".    

16 at the time we saw West ham disappear from the other end so we sort of knew what was coming.

Still got to go home at some point and safety in numbers went down the stairs and got hit by a hail of bottles, my mate copped one and the shoulder and ended up in the nearest A and E for the night having to have his wounds stitched, his old man wasn't happy that he had to go down the next day to pick him up.

The miners were largely from Ilkeston and worked at Babbington colliery or Moorgreen having transferred from the Derbyshire pits after they closed.

My old man had worked with quite a few of them before deciding life underground wasn't for him.

10 minutes ago, Eargasm said:

We walloped them 4-1 they finished with 8 men on the pitch and Mc Dermott was sent from the dugout too, think that's what riled the Newcastle fans so much. 

Ah yes, you're right. Thanks.

I knew I was frustrated about something, it was them scoring when they were down to nine.

15 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

As you know ICF/DLF were not around then, Tho the Mile End Boys were...WHU, We had a beating in the Greyhound Pub at the back of Wembley Stadium 50 of us on the coach against many more.

Just before the game had finished we could see WHU fans leaving the ground, All Derby stayed behind to cheer Roy Mac and the lads with the Shield, By that time we got to leave the ground half of London was outside there waiting for us, It didn't look good, But we had a fella in Kev O'Reilly as hard as they come, Stood on the steps and screaming at us to move forward, We had 2 choices...do as he said and get a beating or go back in the ground and get a beating when back in town, We chose the 1st option, It wasn't very good as our numbers were still coming out of the ground but soon enough the numbers were getting on equal terms...then numbers in our favour, As you said it was the Derbyshire Miners that helped take the day...and night in Old London Town.

A very hot day with dust clouds all over the place, The police just couldn't cope, You say it lasted a few seconds not where we were concerned, It was payback for the Greyhound incident, Scaffolding poles and planks were at hand, Bottles from inside the ground were used by both sides...probably the worst violence I've seen or been involved in as a 19 year old

Years later talking to some "ICF" lads who were there, They admitted it was our day, Bill Gardner who was their top lad admitted through gritted teeth that "Derby had WHU on their toes".    

IIRC, when some of the first out tried to get back in, the stewards tried to shut the gates. KO told them, in no uncertain terms, what would happen to them if they didn't stop shutting the gates. Stewards left the gates alone...

18 hours ago, Archied said:

Tottenham at home was my first scary one , I was only about 12 or 13 , couple of us got ambushed on london road by a group much older , chased us ducking miles 😂

Only had one bit of trouble,walking through a churchyard after a game at stoke, early 70's, being a female it never seemed to bother me in them days. Incidentally all my relations are potherbs.

28 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

IIRC, when some of the first out tried to get back in, the stewards tried to shut the gates. KO told them, in no uncertain terms, what would happen to them if they didn't stop shutting the gates. Stewards left the gates alone...

That I didn't see, KO was to busy knocking WHU fans back down the stairs like skittles on a bowling alley, If we hadn't have followed O'Reilly's orders...down town would have been out of bounds for some time, And a night at the Polish club on Charnwood St would have been a no go...as he and Phil Clarke were working the doors there.

As I said...once the scores were even with the fans things went our way, Pretty sure WHU fans didn't expect Derby to have as much support who could give out more than they could take 👍

52 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Only had one bit of trouble,walking through a churchyard after a game at stoke, early 70's, being a female it never seemed to bother me in them days. Incidentally all my relations are potherbs.

Walking through...I was jumping over the grave stones, I remember 1 grave stone...it said..."Here sleeps Alice who passed away at the pottery factory while falling asleep on her job, She really didn't give a f*** about work...rest in peace Alice you idle fu**er" born April 1798 died with a lump of clay on her head in May 1835.