Wigan Athletic v Derby County

B4’s Sister

58 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I notice that there are rather a lot of people having a go at Roy Mac on this forum. Maybe you find him abrasive, maybe not. In reality he speaks his mind, which last time I checked is still allowed on this forum. Well it makes a change from picking on Paul Warne, or Keogh, or whoever else has got it in the neck. How about we wind our necks in and big up the Rams. And before anyone says it, I have been critical of the Rams during the downtime this season, (and last one as well) because it was entirely self-inflicted, as we are capable of so much more, as we are finding out now that we are playing proper football.

There are enough areas in life where it is no longer possible to speak out against the flow, b ut please not on here. Different views are part of what makes this forum worth being on.

Come On You Rams!

He gives out at least as much as he takes.... and I think he enjoys it that way.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

I don't think that I'd ever want Derby to lose, but I've heard from many fans from different clubs over the years, hoping for their team to lose. The thinking being, that the short term sacrifice would get the manager out and would benefit the club in the long run. This is more understandable when the fixture is a meaningless one and not when we are in our current position. The only way the 'Warne outers' could get their wish now, is for the club to blow any chance of promotion.

The wish of the "Warne outers" was to stop losing to pub teams and start putting together a promotion push. That's happened now, but I'm still not sold that he's the man for us long term. His football is still limited in entertainment, but he's won enough lately for me to be happy for him to take a full crack til the end of the season.

People saying they want Derby to lose so Warne gets sacked are as dense as an elland road season ticket holder. It was the fact that we kept losing that was the problem.

50 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

He gives out at least as much as he takes.... and I think he enjoys it that way.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Maybe it’s to do with constantly wanting the manager sacked, the manager currently on a 9 game unbeaten league run.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Roy’s a good lad very capable of dishing it out and happy to take some back , over the long run we will all find times we agree with him or disagree , can’t really see any problem🤷🏻‍♂️

Is there a law against not rating a manager? I'm not a fan of Southgate for what it's worth, some really rate him and think he's achieved stuff with England. By all means disagree with my opinion, but tell me why, not what you think of me!

I don't rate Warne's management style and that will not change unless he does. I do enjoy Derby winning, so that's all there is to it.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is there a law against not rating a manager? I'm not a fan of Southgate for what it's worth, some really rate him and think he's achieved stuff with England. By all means disagree with my opinion, but tell me why, not what you think of me!

I don't rate Warne's management style and that will not change unless he does. I do enjoy Derby winning, so that's all there is to it.

People are just seething that they're shouting "told you so" yet your opinion hasn't changed at all. People just want to be right all the time.

Edited by oodledoodle

6 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

People are juat seething that they're shouting "told you so" yet your opinion hasn't changed at all. People just want to be right all the time.

Lol. What started all this off was my previous post 'asking' (in reply to another poster with a 😉 emoji) what took Warne so long to discover 4 at the back worked for us.  😄 

Edited by RoyMac5

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The wounded soldier act really is a stretch 🤣

36 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

The wish of the "Warne outers" was to stop losing to pub teams and start putting together a promotion push. That's happened now, but I'm still not sold that he's the man for us long term. His football is still limited in entertainment, but he's won enough lately for me to be happy for him to take a full crack til the end of the season.

People saying they want Derby to lose so Warne gets sacked are as dense as an elland road season ticket holder. It was the fact that we kept losing that was the problem.

This is the biggest problem with some of Warnes biggest critics. 

We have not lost to any pub teams and fans thinking that we are so massive and should be walking this league are a bigger problem than any of Warnes tactics in my opinion.  We're a league one team playing in league one.

I wonder how many other sets of fans have reacted to losing to little Stevenage like some of ours did?

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. What started all this off was my previous post 'asking' (in reply to another poster with a 😉 emoji) what took Warne so long to discover 4 at the back worked for us.  😄 

I think you are a good poster Macca. Just one question. Would you take Wazza back to replace Warney 😉

48 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

People are just seething that they're shouting "told you so" yet your opinion hasn't changed at all. People just want to be right all the time.

I’ve no issue with being wrong (in fact, my wife would say I’ve mastered the skill! 😆!). My original post was in the spirit of pettiness demonstrated by yet another of Roy’s nauseous digs at the manager. It’s as if our recent upturn in form is in spite of Warne, not in any small part because of him and his coaching staff!

Fair play, Roy’s clearly a principled man - the Margaret Thatcher of the forum if you will (not for turning!). His posts though often seem a deliberate attempt at seeking a reaction. Yet. when people respond and challenge they are often met with a lecture on how unpleasant and lacking introspection they are! 

Thing is for me though is , in my view despite 3 promotions which tells you he deffo has a bit of something about him warne is still quite a young and inexperienced manager but some treat him as if he is a dyed in the wool dinosaur along the lines of Warnock ( but call for him to be replaced by Warnock 🤷🏻‍♂️) , I really don’t see this one dimensional unable to evolve , change and learn bloke that some see  but hey that’s just my take on what I’ve seen so far 

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

Out of interest, what do you class as entertaining in football?

We are 4th highest scorers and have the best defence.

And who are the pub teams we lost to?

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Out of interest, what do you class as entertaining in football?

We are 4th highest scorers and have the best defence.

And who are the pub teams we lost to?

It's a good question, but a difficult one to answer. It's not just goals because even if you average 2 a game, that's only a couple minutes of 'excitement' each game. So, what do I enjoy for the other 88+ minutes?

Goalkeepers denying certain goals, defensive players making last ditch tackles and driving forward with the ball, players on the ball beating a man 1 on 1 or threading balls through to the attackers or quick 1 touch passes around the opposition defence, attackers causing problems for their defence and keeper...

The first 60 mins against Wigan was viewed by most fans as the best football we've played all season. We just need to play like that more often and for longer periods in each game going forward.

What do we actually excel at? By this, I woupd say something we're one of the 3 best clubs at doing.

1. Conceding shots - fewest shots conceded and 3rd fewest saves made

2. Counter attacks - 2nd most goals

3. Crossing - 3rd most crosses, 3rd most accurate, and 2nd for key passes

4. Getting the ball forward quickly - 3rd most direct team

As you can see, there isn't much we excel at which I view at 'entertaining' which we do consistently compared to other sides. Taking shots as an example, Peterborough have had 66% open play shots than we have, whilst Portsmouth have had 35% more from set pieces.

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

This is the biggest problem with some of Warnes biggest critics. 

We have not lost to any pub teams and fans thinking that we are so massive and should be walking this league are a bigger problem than any of Warnes tactics in my opinion.  We're a league one team playing in league one.

I wonder how many other sets of fans have reacted to losing to little Stevenage like some of ours did?

Fair comment, and calling them pub teams was unfair and clumsy of me. 

On reflection, I'm annoyed at some of our performances, rather than results. I can take losing to anyone, it's football. I can't stomach rolling over to teams and barely laying a glove on them. We were giving away results to teams without them having to break a sweat to earn them. That's what I was getting fed up with.

But for me, entertainment is not about statistics, or solely what happens on the pitch, it's about sharing the experience with my family and a community of like minded people, singing daft songs, bouncing, being swept up in the emotion of it all. I don't care about expected goals, percentage of this and that, I just like living in the moment, sometimes good, sometimes bad. That's what it's about for me.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's a good question, but a difficult one to answer. It's not just goals because even if you average 2 a game, that's only a couple minutes of 'excitement' each game. So, what do I enjoy for the other 88+ minutes?

Goalkeepers denying certain goals, defensive players making last ditch tackles and driving forward with the ball, players on the ball beating a man 1 on 1 or threading balls through to the attackers or quick 1 touch passes around the opposition defence, attackers causing problems for their defence and keeper...

The first 60 mins against Wigan was viewed by most fans as the best football we've played all season. We just need to play like that more often and for longer periods in each game going forward.

What do we actually excel at? By this, I woupd say something we're one of the 3 best clubs at doing.

1. Conceding shots - fewest shots conceded and 3rd fewest saves made

2. Counter attacks - 2nd most goals

3. Crossing - 3rd most crosses, 3rd most accurate, and 2nd for key passes

4. Getting the ball forward quickly - 3rd most direct team

As you can see, there isn't much we excel at which I view at 'entertaining' which we do consistently compared to other sides. Taking shots as an example, Peterborough have had 66% open play shots than we have, whilst Portsmouth have had 35% more from set pieces.

I sort of characterise this team as effective if not particularly lovable.

It's a direct comparison but think how George Burley's play off team is remembered pretty glowingly, despite failing whilst Billy Davies promotion side was more effective, achieved promotion (and it was Billy's PNE side did for Derby that time) but doesn't have the same fondness.

But then, as a latecomer to fandom in general, idiakez was the first genuinely special player I watch play for us.

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Roy’s a good lad very capable of dishing it out and happy to take some back , over the long run we will all find times we agree with him or disagree , can’t really see any problem🤷🏻‍♂️

I believe Roy posted a photo of themselves at a match a couple of years ago, and it was pretty clear that Roy is a lady person.

So a good lads, or I suppose in our woke world a good person 😛👍