Derby v Lincoln City

B4’s Sister

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Small thing but I’m quite liking the Mr Brightside/ Sandstorm combo immediately before kickoff. Even us oldies are getting a groove on to those 😊🥳

Agreed. 

I will add my youngest asked me at half time 'Why can I only hear the Lincoln fans singing most of the time'.

Was pretty quiet when we weren't winning/on top.

Definitely the team were motivating the fans more than the other way round.

51 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Well your other perspective can be looked at in two ways. Firstly the way you want to look at it and secondly you could imagine if the situations were reversed. Derby v Forest or Leicester - and equivalent 'local Derby' fixture but in the Prem. That would be a sell out too, but with 32+K there. Then Palace v Brighton in the third division. 25K sellout? Not bloody likely. 

I agree, and that's the point of my post, to challenge the OP's view that somehow because there was a higher official attendance than at Palace it somehow said something definitive. Though I'm not sure what that something is. 

59 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from the Lincoln forum……..Barney Imp.

“Not the result that we might have perhaps hoped for but one that was perhaps expected, especially against a club that is spending fantasy money as if they were still in the top flight.”

…………………….(insert your own expletive here) 👍🐏

Our toilets flush in the away end. To Barney, that must seem like we're spending fantasy money. They are from Lincolnshire remember.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

We are on a great run, have just won at home and have a few crucial games coming up. Lincoln didn't look like scoring tbh until we gifted them a goal.

What was missing was a bit of a spark, a bit more imagination, less of the same (obviously dictated) strategy to go out wide constantly. 

No lack of effort or running. It felt like our shortcomings were more tactical and personnel than anything.  Seemed a strange time to get overly critical to me. Like something had happened we weren't party to.

You need the Jim smith room , we like a good conspiracy theory in there😂

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

“Not the result that we might have perhaps hoped for but one that was perhaps expected, especially against a club that is spending fantasy money as if they were still in the top flight.”

I spent 6 months in North Sea Camp in the mid 70s, A couple of Lincs lads in there, Carrot crunchers get older and thicker as the wind blows off the Wash, The crabs on the marsh down there are more intelligent 😉 

43 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I agree, and that's the point of my post, to challenge the OP's view that somehow because there was a higher official attendance than at Palace it somehow said something definitive. Though I'm not sure what that something is. 

I apologise for my non “definitive” post……………it won’t happen again!

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Absolutely priceless ! Sheesh, I'll have what he's been smoking! Where do they get this b******* from ?! Spending fantasy money as if we were still in the top flight ?! Ahahaha haha hahhahaaah hhahahahaha..

There are some spectacularly ill-informed opposition fans who like to pretend to speak with authority about our past and present financial situation and they are often so far wide of the mark it's embarrassing. Same as those Wycombe clowns last week channelling the brummie morons with their "Were all having a party when Derby County dies" nonsense. I don't think someone has been keeping up with current events. Since the takeover we haven't exactly been able to spend much but we literally could not be in safer hands thanks to DC. They'll be having a long wait for their party.

35 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

nothing to do with expectations, it just does'nt feel like the disjointed football we are being served up is worthy of top 3

You are either worthy or not,the table doesn't lie.

I'd rather it's was maclarenesque flowing football but I don't really give a s*** if we get promoted and warne has a proven track record of achieving it playing it his way over a season.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Lincoln set up 5-4-1 out of possession from the get go (surprise), so the best option was to go wide, as the middle was clogged.

They started well and but for some timely tackles we could have easily been embarrassed, however once the breakthrough goal came I thought we took control with the exception of one blunder to give them a lifeline penalty.

Felt for Ward as he had been lobbing some good crosses in, but he was not helped by the winger in defence and we got caught, but the penalty was absolutely stonewall and it put their tails up for the start of the second half.

They had an early sustained attack in each half which we contained, and once the second went in they had to come out, which gave the spaces needed and the pass to Collins was inch perfect. Though for me he was a yard offside (lino was daydreaming and not up with play). 

Dont care though we have enough things go against so will take that.

We are winning games and scoring goals against decent teams, but the next 4 games will be the key to the season. and against tougher opponents we could be found wanting, however if we really fire on all cylinders I believe automatics is not beyond this team.

Just as a footnote me and Mrs Silverback were trying to workout how many of the current squad would be able to hack it in the Championship.

There wasn't a long list. Could this be worth a new thread in the NY once the Xmas results are in?

5 minutes ago, silverback said:

Lincoln set up 5-4-1 out of possession from the get go (surprise), so the best option was to go wide, as the middle was clogged.

They started well and but for some timely tackles we could have easily been embarrassed, however once the breakthrough goal came I thought we took control with the exception of one blunder to give them a lifeline penalty.

Felt for Ward as he had been lobbing some good crosses in, but he was not helped by the winger in defence and we got caught, but the penalty was absolutely stonewall and it put their tails up for the start of the second half.

They had an early sustained attack in each half which we contained, and once the second went in they had to come out, which gave the spaces needed and the pass to Collins was inch perfect. Though for me he was a yard offside (lino was daydreaming and not up with play). 

Dont care though we have enough things go against so will take that.

We are winning games and scoring goals against decent teams, but the next 4 games will be the key to the season. and against tougher opponents we could be found wanting, however if we really fire on all cylinders I believe automatics is not beyond this team.

Just as a footnote me and Mrs Silverback were trying to workout how many of the current squad would be able to hack it in the Championship.

There wasn't a long list. Could this be worth a new thread in the NY once the Xmas results are in?

Sorry meant to add what a difference a good ref makes. Maybe Becky should get a look at this guy and learn how to do it properly

Let the game flow, book players only when necessary, the game never once got out of control.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This 👌.

Reading what some people say about our recruitment baffles me. Yes it could have been better, there’s always potential for improvement, but it’s hardly been terrible.

We’ve signed one who hasn’t lived up to the hype (Bradley) but has still come in and done a job as part of the second best(?) defence in the league.

A couple more have been hard to observe due to injury. But the rest have added strength and depth to the squad in my opinion, with the likes of Washington and Waghorn playing their part in picking up points earlier in the season. With them returning from injury and hopefully some strengthening in January there’s as much chance of us pushing on up the table as there is dropping down it, guess it’s down to how you choose to see the world. 

I'd echo this sentiment - it's been on my mind lately how strong the bench looks, plus we're missing the likes of Nyambe, Rooney, Smith, Washington, & Waghorn. Last night's bench was great: Wilson, Bradley, Thompson, Sibley, John-Jules, Elder, Vickers - Wilson & Sibley impacted the game last night, and they could easily have started.

Bear in mind we've still got 25 league games to go, that squad is going to show its value in the next few months.

Nelson & Wilson have been great, JJ, Ward and Vickers have had their moments. I think Bradley's struggles haven't helped, and injuries to the others made it seem we'd signed a load of crocks.

6 wins in 7 without playing great is some effort, tough next 2/3 weeks which will be massive will certainly have to be better to keep the run continuing but if we can get into January get a couple extra bodies in then we have a great chance, 

id much rather play average and go up than play exciting and stay down, mainly due us not wanting to get stuck down here much longer. 

Wilson 22 on a free? If he can stay fit we have some player, great signing.

last thing James Collins = Goals

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

It was no big deal to me. I've always been on his side, especially in relation to his style of football.

We were all sat in the car after the game and his tone seemed unnecessarily irritable. 

I was most interested in him saying 'maybe this is as good as we are'... because I'm constantly thinking we won but can play better ..but we never seem to. Was interested if he thinks certain players are under performing, if he wants money for recruitment or thinks the fans are expecting too much with what we have..

He just wants us to move the ball quicker.  Says it after every game.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

They had an early sustained attack in each half which we contained, and once the second went in they had to come out,

Not sure that meshes, because surely they couldn't have a sustained attack without coming out.

People will point to our second goal as the turning point but what happened a minute or two before that was equally important - they'd worked the ball into a really good position to break on us, with men over, just one Derby player 'in the way' who would have been easily bypassed with a half decent pass, they'd have been in on goal with a very good chance of making it 2-1 and a tough game.

As it happened they contrived to kick it straight at the Derby player, completely wasting the chance, the opportunity was lost, we scored almost immediately afterwards and the game was effectively over.

Edited by May Contain Nuts