1. Bolton               17             38
  2. Portsmouth      17           36
  3. Oxford              17              35
  4. Stevenage        19           35
  5. Peterborough   18          34
  6. Derby                  17           30
  7. Blackpool          19           30
  8. Barnsley            17           28

So here is the current table and for me I don't think the teams currently in the top 8 will be  much different to the final top 8 but of course the order will hopefully change.

FWIW if you look at the top 8 teams currently I do not think there is one stand out side amongst them and everyone is capable of beating everyone.

I wish I could say that Derby were the stand out side but the truth is we are in the mix with the others and a lot will depend I think on a few things so I thought I'd ask the question, What in your opinion would we need to get us into the top 2 come the end of the season ?

Here are my thoughts, I really believe a mobile Centre Forward , someone very different to what we have in Collo, Waggy, wash etc would be massive.

The impact a really good striker would bring , where it turns tight games we are drawing into wins would be massive 

I do like Al Hamidi and a few others mentioned, the impact strikers like Deano had instantly really turned us into a very different proposition and the same with players like Goddard, Biley, Swindlehurst, Marco, even Phescisolido made a real impact

If we bring in a real goal threat and maybe another tough tackling midfielder as long as we don't play PW's crap one dimensional style we sometimes see I think 2 additions will inject what we need 

This Top 8 I think will be very tight and although the quality is not as good as last season( so I don't think anyone will be getting 98 points for example) I think it will be close and our dealings in the Jan window will be pivotal , so no Springett type signings please PW lets bring in the talisman we need whether that be on loan or permanent 

COYR

Points-wise, the target should be the magical 2 points per game over the season - 62 points from our next 29 games (2.13 ppg). A tough ask, since the best our 12 game rolling average hasn't been above 2 since our good run ended last season. Outside of the first 4 games of the season, we haven't been too far off the pace, so the least we need to do until January is maintain our recent league form. We can then strengthen in January.

Our targets depend on intended formation - we either stick with the asymmetrical 4231, or we go back to 3412.
4231 = extending Nyambe's contract, signing a DM, 1 winger and a CF
3412 = extending Nyambe's contract, signing a LWB, DM, and CF
Other signings would depend on departures.

The one difference is winger vs wing back. This is why I would go after Demetri Mitchell from Exeter - he can play in either position (as well as almost everywhere else on the pitch), allowing us to change between the two formations when it suits us. He's out of contract in the summer, and Exeter will likely want to cash in whilst they can. He has the 5th highest attacking contribution in the league (2nd highest winger), and is one of the best dribblers in the league All whilst playing in one of the worst sides in the division.

I like the look of Arthur Read at Colchester. He's perfectly suited to being Hourihane's replacement. He takes a good set piece, contributes to open play assists and goals, but importantly does a lot of the dirty work defensively. Only 24, but has 18 months left on his contract

For CF, my top pick would be Al Hamadi, but interest will be high, including Championship clubs - I think we'll be priced out of it. There appears to be few forwards worth signing from Championship clubs who aren't playing much, and there is also a lack of options in the SPL at the moment. Any forwards would have to be on loan from PL clubs, such as Callum Marshall or Divin Mubama (both West Ham). 

I can see Sibley moving on to make something of his career. In which case, I would try to poach Dan Kemp, currently on loan at Swindon. Arguably the best AM in L2 this season, providing goals and assists.

14 hours ago, S8TY said:
  1. Bolton               17             38
  2. Portsmouth      17           36
  3. Oxford              17              35
  4. Stevenage        19           35
  5. Peterborough   18          34
  6. Derby                  17           30
  7. Blackpool          19           30
  8. Barnsley            17           28

So here is the current table and for me I don't think the teams currently in the top 8 will be  much different to the final top 8 but of course the order will hopefully change.

FWIW if you look at the top 8 teams currently I do not think there is one stand out side amongst them and everyone is capable of beating everyone.

I wish I could say that Derby were the stand out side but the truth is we are in the mix with the others and a lot will depend I think on a few things so I thought I'd ask the question, What in your opinion would we need to get us into the top 2 come the end of the season ?

Here are my thoughts, I really believe a mobile Centre Forward , someone very different to what we have in Collo, Waggy, wash etc would be massive.

The impact a really good striker would bring , where it turns tight games we are drawing into wins would be massive 

I do like Al Hamidi and a few others mentioned, the impact strikers like Deano had instantly really turned us into a very different proposition and the same with players like Goddard, Biley, Swindlehurst, Marco, even Phescisolido made a real impact

If we bring in a real goal threat and maybe another tough tackling midfielder as long as we don't play PW's crap one dimensional style we sometimes see I think 2 additions will inject what we need 

This Top 8 I think will be very tight and although the quality is not as good as last season( so I don't think anyone will be getting 98 points for example) I think it will be close and our dealings in the Jan window will be pivotal , so no Springett type signings please PW lets bring in the talisman we need whether that be on loan or permanent 

COYR

Striker has to be top priority especially after losing wash to injury. Collins does an ok job in my opinion and not as bad as some make out, but an upgrade on him is needed to push on. Probably need 2 strikers now (with loans if needed) with wash out for a long period and JJs injury record. We also need a combative and mobile midfielder, someone who would compliment both Bird and Fornah.

If we can start to dominate the midfield area along with a striker with real presence I think we could easily make the automatics😊

Another wide player in the mould of NML would be nice and got to remember we’ve seen virtually nothing of Ward yet or Elder to cover the left back area.

I know this might sound crazy to some, however I have no problem with the joint 8th top scorer in the league James Collins up top.

What we need is players that can dish him up those chances to score. 

We know he won't finish every one, otherwise he would be in the Premier League.

This is League 1 and we need to create more to increase the chances of scoring more.

So it's more about the players behind him, players that can offer something different, bring a fresh energy to the team.

More James? Moooooooore?....Yes, more from midfield and the wide areas.

Hungry Food GIF

50 minutes ago, David said:

I know this might sound crazy to some, however I have no problem with the joint 8th top scorer in the league James Collins up top.

What we need is players that can dish him up those chances to score. 

We know he won't finish every one, otherwise he would be in the Premier League.

This is League 1 and we need to create more to increase the chances of scoring more.

So it's more about the players behind him, players that can offer something different, bring a fresh energy to the team.

More James? Moooooooore?....Yes, more from midfield and the wide areas.

Hungry Food GIF

Although I don’t disagree with you regards we need to create more chances, we have found ourselves very light up front. Wash out for a long period and can’t rely on Waghorn or JJ injury wise. If Collins was to get an injury we could be in real trouble from Jan to May. In my opinion we should be looking to bring in 2 more strikers, loans if need be.

1 minute ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Although I don’t disagree with you regards we need to create more chances, we have found ourselves very light up front. Wash out for a long period and can’t rely on Waghorn or JJ injury wise. If Collins was to get an injury we could be in real trouble from Jan to May. In my opinion we should be looking to bring in 2 more strikers, loans if need be.

I hear you, at the same time I would be conscious of the fact January transfer windows are often inflated and not the best time to go on shopping sprees. Especially when you are on a limited budget trying to recruit in the most expensive position on the pitch.

We also have Brown that needs game time as well if he is to come through.

JJ is due back at Arsenal although I would look to extend that until the end of the season if he can make it through the Christmas schedule injury free.

23 minutes ago, David said:

I hear you, at the same time I would be conscious of the fact January transfer windows are often inflated and not the best time to go on shopping sprees. Especially when you are on a limited budget trying to recruit in the most expensive position on the pitch.

We also have Brown that needs game time as well if he is to come through.

JJ is due back at Arsenal although I would look to extend that until the end of the season if he can make it through the Christmas schedule injury free.

Again I agree except Warne up to now has not given many opportunities to the academy players, both Brown and Weston look promising but have not been given the game time when the ideal opportunities arose🤷‍♂️😢

I too would like JJ back if he can stay fit through to January, but still think we need at least 1 more striker.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Striker, left winger and a Hourihane replacement. If we can do that, we have a proper chance. 

This, plus Elder or another LB option. Plus need to start scoring from set pieces. Oh and to keep Bird, Nyambe and Cashin. 

Unlikely for all of that to happen, but that's what is needed for us to mount a serious automatic promotion campaign.

16 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The one difference is winger vs wing back. This is why I would go after Demetri Mitchell from Exeter - he can play in either position (as well as almost everywhere else on the pitch), allowing us to change between the two formations when it suits us. He's out of contract in the summer, and Exeter will likely want to cash in whilst they can. He has the 5th highest attacking contribution in the league (2nd highest winger), and is one of the best dribblers in the league All whilst playing in one of the worst sides in the division.

Did his ACL in the cup game against Boro, out for the season.

Agree wouldve been a good signing, maybe longer term but there’s that injury risk

Main thing we need in my view is JJ to somehow stay fit and we extend his loan/sign him. He’s a serious player. 

We need another striker and a winger, along with a left back if Elder isn’t fit, we need to address this area in the summer as I think Fozzy’s level has deteriorated this season and I no longer think he’s good enough.

Other moves depend on outgoings. Potentially would look to try and move Barkhuizen Sibley and Collins on if we can get replacements.

5 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Main thing we need in my view is JJ to somehow stay fit and we extend his loan/sign him. He’s a serious player. 

We need another striker and a winger, along with a left back if Elder isn’t fit, we need to address this area in the summer as I think Fozzy’s level has deteriorated this season and I no longer think he’s good enough.

Other moves depend on outgoings. Potentially would look to try and move Barkhuizen Sibley and Collins on if we can get replacements.

Totally disagree with you about Fozzy

I think midfield should be the priority.

Bird’s contract is running down and he is potentially on the way out and Smith and Hourihane are fading fast and can’t perform consistently at the level required, only really when the opposition’s tactics and the playing conditions are favourable.

Fornah, Thompson, Fapetu and Robinson are good prospects for the future, but we need a player to come in and hit the ground running.