Derby County Versus Wolverhampton Wanderers U21 - Match Day Thread ( EFL Trophy )

S8TY

Didn’t get to watch this evening so was going by the comments (and filth) in here, along with the goals being shared by our Korean based contingent on Twatter. 
A 4-1 win, with a Collins hat trick, Wilson among the assists, Weston scoring a lovely goal and debuts galore for some young rams is all good in my view, regardless of the competition and perceived standard of opposition. 🐏 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Weston has played 20 odd games of men’s football up in Scotland and is 2 years older. Quite a lot of difference at that age. 

Weston is also more of a 10  with Brown being a 9. The change at HT gave the side better balance. For some reason, Brown has to play with Collins, rather than with someone who will play a bit deeper and get involved with play more.

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Didn’t get to watch this evening so was going by the comments (and filth) in here, along with the goals being shared by our Korean based contingent on Twatter. 
A 4-1 win, with a Collins hat trick, Wilson among the assists, Weston scoring a lovely goal and debuts galore for some young rams is all good in my view, regardless of the competition and perceived standard of opposition. 🐏 

Absolutely right. Future looks bright for some of these kids. Hope to see more of them in the near future.

I've got to say... apart from a big horrible cdm, getting a replacement striker for Collins (who'd I'd happily let go regardless of his goals) I would honestly love to see us put a bit of trust in our young players. We look like we have got some gems in there! The young lad Fatapu (spelling?) Was outstanding that first half with the confidence to match. The 2nd half there was that many good performances from the youngsters, I couldn't falt them. Robinson at the back was solid,Weston looked lively with a good finish, Wilson was top draw too, my personal MOTM.

Future looks bright!

Brilliant night. And what was satisfying wasn’t that we outplayed the Wolves babies virtually all match, or that Collins got a load of goals, or that Wilson played a blinder, It was seeing what we have got in the under-21s and under 18s. Absolutely wow! I know it was only in the Nobody Cares Cup, but remember, our academy was stripped bare by administration, so to see this potential is exciting.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Weston is also more of a 10  with Brown being a 9. The change at HT gave the side better balance. For some reason, Brown has to play with Collins, rather than with someone who will play a bit deeper and get involved with play more.

That makes sense. Collins also looked much better when Brown went off. That would explain why.

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

It’s almost like they have something to offer and never giving them a chance until this match is a little daft when we have been so meh in so many areas. 

Be realistic - they've performed well against a PL academy team and shown promise, but that doesn't mean they're anywhere near ready for a L1 fixture. And a manager who's only the next poor result away from another absolute slagging is unlikely to risk putting them in the team when his full squad is nearly fit. Hopefully some of them will get further chances in this competition and then may get minutes against a proper mens team.

A patient and professional performance against a very inexperienced Wolves side. Collo silencing his critics, though only briefly one suspects and some really good performances from U21 players mostly not touted to date. Thought Dajaune Browne had a night to forget, but he has time on his side and will prove this showing all wrong. Weston, Fapetu and Robinson all showed up well enough for consideration in coming weeks and hopefully the young 'uns have shown enough to spark the gaffer's interest.

Barnsley up next will be a very different animal, but hopefully we will be approaching that game with some growing confidence amongst the squad.

COYR

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Did Elder play the full 90 mins? If so I think that’s important. Loads of time for Fozzy, but he’s not been at his best in recent weeks so having an option to rest him/push him for his place could prove important as the fixtures come thick and fast. 

He put some decent balls into the middle too.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sure. I was just pointing out as an opinion that the Wolves kids could be the worst team we have faced in the past 30 years in an official game. It's no slight on them or us, just an observation given the unfortunate trajectory of most academy players.

It looks as though, in other groups, as many as half a dozen U-21 sides are still in with a chance of qualifying - or have already done so. Unfortunately, that's where we are.

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sure. I was just pointing out as an opinion that the Wolves kids could be the worst team we have faced in the past 30 years in an official game. It's no slight on them or us, just an observation given the unfortunate trajectory of most academy players.

Probably an unnecessary observation though. I think most of us know full well that, by and large, the U21 teams competing in this competition are no match for the league teams and we’re not celebrating as if we’ve just beaten Man City.