January Reinforcements

sage

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Peterborough manage it with a similar budget to Rotherham

13 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Yes a straight comparison isn't exactly possible with ourselves but Rotherham in my eyes are on par with Peterborough with their financial capacity yet they seem to do well with finding and improving young talent. Arguably Rotherham should be better placed with able to find young talent for their academy with bigger catchment of Sheffield/Yorkshire.

Peterborough also never managed to stay up in the Championship...

Surely it could then be argued Warne's strategy was more successful in regards to elevating the club's league position? Peterborough have a business model based around cashing in on their talent when they peak in value, but this does seem to limit their overall progression as a team as they can never build around their star players. 

The Brentford/Brighton-type models are the ones we'd ideally want to emulate, but they require investing in players before they're ready which requires serious money, and why no teams at his level can really do it. I think Warne's integration of our youth is probably the bit to be concerned about, if anything, rather than age profile of the transfers?

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We clearly didn’t have the money to compete with other rival clubs for transfers, that or we refused to pay over the odds for Smith or Gregory. Selling Bird wasn’t in the plan unless we got a good offer which we did and we’ve got him for the season, I would hope we can use that money in the summer.

How in any way is this down to Warne?. People will say Ward Bradley Fornah (although most were supportive of those transfers at the time), I will raise you Hourihane Smith Collins Mendez Laing Barkhuizen who I would bet any money will be in the top 5-10 earners at the club, none signed by Warne and of them people only want Mendez (although I also like Collo).

They will say that because it's correct though?

I'm not sure it's particularly relevant what fans think of certain players, if they're contributing, they're contributing. If they're not, they're not.

They may be on good wages but Hourihane, Collins, NML, Barkhuizen & Smith have all (to varying degrees) earned their keep despite having to adapt to how a new manager wanted them to play, and at times have covered the manager's blushes when he's made tactical errors, or when his own signings have failed to step up to the mark - it always seems a bit rich pointing toward them as a problem.

Fornah, Ward, Bradley, Washington are yet to truly do so after 3-6 months of paying their wages. That may not be their fault, but it's a fact.

Also on the matter of reactions to a player signing, while you get the odd new signing that the fanbase are broadly against on the whole the chances of a signing being met with support are stacked high.  I think it's OK for fans to use hindsight when judging signings; we're just onlookers, not the ones who've scouted and researched these players to determine whether they're a good fit, discussed with them how we plan to use them etc.

It is up to the management to do due duilligence on signings, not the fans. If a signing fails, it is a reflection on the whole buying process not just the manager, but he plays his part.

It's just alarming that we've got better value out of signings we made fresh out of administration and under the tightest of restrictions than when we've had a little more leeway.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

I doubt he will be sacked.  DC gave him a contract and will be reluctant to pay the compo to him and his team.  That money will not be in the budget.

Having 5,000 less season tickets sold won’t be in the budget either and I bet there will be that many questioning a purchase based on the absolute rubbish served up at home this season 

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

]

Okay the Bird money going in to the summer pot. But the league next season will be stronger. 

All 3 relegated teams will be up there, 5 of the current top 8 will be up there, Wrexham with their wonga and then the likes of Wigan and Reading if they get their acts together. IMO any funds would've been better spent yesterday at least partly to see if we can go up and avoid the royal rumble of next season. 

If we are losing money every week then why do you think any money received will be going on more spending rather than reducing the losses ?

We have been one of the worst in the class at transfer windows for years (apart from the occasional window). I would argue that we need a total restart in terms of our strategy around transfers.

How we have signed under Warne I would rate as even worse than our average year. We need to be able to develop players and sell them on to make the financial model work. As it stands now, we have to sell at a discount to finance high wages for underperforming so-called. experienced (old) quality players. It feels anything but sustainable for the future.

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Peterborough manage it with a similar budget to Rotherham

I may be wrong but I have always had the impression that Peterborough choose to play all out attack with the view to bringing in potential filled youngsters in attack to sell for bigger bucks , good as a money making model but not really building towards anything 

41 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

To play devil's advocate here - it's harder for Rotherham to hold out for the bigger offers. Would it be beyond the realms of possibilty that if they were Derby players (in those seasons) you could have seen them go for 0.5m-1m more?

Then again, our track record hasn't been fantastic in getting the best value for players...

Those players also only went to clubs who also played in a dinosaur football way under managers similar to Warne 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Why do you think no premiership clubs are looking to send youngsters to us either 

The calibre of loan player we want they want to send to the league above. The calibre available to us, won't be given the game time they want them to have. Don't think it's much more complicated than that.

36 minutes ago, Waghorny said:

So frustrating reading some 'fans' opinions on Birds move,

The bloke stayed with us throughout everything whilst others jumped ship, he's moved on to a solid championship club, something that we can't offer at the moment,

Short memories on here, the unbeaten run of last season ended when he got injured - we're a worse team without him in it.

This Bird has flown...

Exactly my thoughts. He stayed during relegation when he didn't have to, and has plodded through 1 1/2 seasons being utilised quite badly in what must be a frustrating tactic for him to play. He's not going to develop his game at Derby, let's face facts.
It speaks volumes that he's been constantly slated this season by some but he'll be at a Championship club next season on bigger wages, and with more chance of being spotted by a top division club.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

The calibre of loan player we want they want to send to the league above. The calibre available to us, won't be given the game time they want them to have. Don't think it's much more complicated than that.

Bit of both I think.

In general there is not a high standard of loans in L1 this year but Warne has also said he is not overly keen on players on their first loans (not saying that’s good or bad), so you’re limiting your market a little straight away. 

And for the ones that do come to this level, style of play and coaching must be a consideration for the loaning club. If Bolton had come in for Bobby Clark, say, Liverpool might look at Conor Bradley’s development there last year and be more inclined to go for it.

27 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Peterborough also never managed to stay up in the Championship...

Surely it could then be argued Warne's strategy was more successful in regards to elevating the club's league position? Peterborough have a business model based around cashing in on their talent when they peak in value, but this does seem to limit their overall progression as a team as they can never build around their star players. 

The Brentford/Brighton-type models are the ones we'd ideally want to emulate, but they require investing in players before they're ready which requires serious money, and why no teams at his level can really do it. I think Warne's integration of our youth is probably the bit to be concerned about, if anything, rather than age profile of the transfers?

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

I may be wrong but I have always had the impression that Peterborough choose to play all out attack with the view to bringing in potential filled youngsters in attack to sell for bigger bucks , good as a money making model but not really building towards anything 

That's not really the point though is it? I've argued Warne has a histroy of choosing older players and failing to get reasonable money in on a consistent basis for the players he did sign. Peterborough, with a similar budget somehow manage to sign younger players and sell them for large amounts. If Peterborough can do it, then we should be able to too. The problem here is a manager unwilling to focus on youth - whether signing or bringing through from the academy.

Peterbrough don't just sign forwards to sell on for big bucks. They've also started bringing through players from their own academy - Edwards, Burrows and Jade-Jones are starting every week. One of them is a LB and another a CB.

One thing for sure is that there is going to need to be a massive rebuild for next season whatever league we are in based on the contracts expiring and the complete flops we have signed this season.

The main thing for me is why on earth did we keep picking the likes of Collins and NML for games in the the rubbish pizza cup when we could have given real game time to Brown Weston etc to see how they did which could have saved some serious money in the future.

If we weren’t forced to play the likes of all the kids we wouldn’t have survived as a club and start to look at what they are being transferred for Whittaker nearly went to Lazio for £12 million A Brown went for £3.5 million knight for £2 million Bird for £? Ebosele £500,000 Plange £1 million to mention a few of them - Warne won’t play them whilst Rooney had to and wanted to play them