January Reinforcements

sage

Just now, sage said:

If you want to pass the ball to each other then he'll do well 

If you want to run around more than the other team, then not so much.

Sounds like the weird little Manning vision to me. Impression in these parts is he'll replace Matty James who's contract is unlikely to be extended in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not as good as Knight by some margin. 

I'd take half as good, JK has been among our best players all season. 

8 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

I completely agree.

But I suspect the intention was to save money in this window ready for the summer, when we're supposedly free from any and all restrictions.

That wasn’t the message that the club was giving out. Would be a stupid move anyway, there won’t be a better chance of getting out this league than this season.

Just now, MoleyMcMolerson said:

Sounds like the weird little Manning vision to me. Impression in these parts is he'll replace Matty James who's contract is unlikely to be extended in the summer. 

I'd take half as good, JK has been among our best players all season. 

That’s why you’re in mid table obscurity, simply. 

Just now, IslandExile said:

So after last season's failure, the Warne fans - fairly reasonably - said judge him after this season. Now they're already starting to ask for next season aswell.

I am talking about the players that have been signed…

I am pretty sure Warne is walking a tightrope. The next 17+ games will be make or break for his future at the club.

Clowes might see fit to twist if we don’t have an encouraging end to the season.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Surely the correct thing to do then is look for players IN our constraints? It’s not like there isn’t a player now playing non-league or otherwise in world football that isn’t going to go on to have a very good career - the job of our club is to find them. We have a lazy approach to recruitment, that hasn’t changed since Mel Morris was chairman. How often do we sign players from down the pyramid as opposed from up it? Since the takeover, we have signed one player from a level lower than our own - Scott Loach from Chesterfield.  Peterborough have made more signings from a level lower than themselves in the past two seasons than we have in the past decade. We just don’t do it. 

Take a snapshot of almost any season in history and you see names littered amongst the lower tiers - it happens all the time. Why on earth we take such a lazy approach to recruitment really irritates me. No excuse for it given our position. 

The January transfer window is a game of cat and mouse, where clubs try to have the pants down of other desperate clubs.

I'm glad we've not been reeled in and stuck to our guns. 

I imagine the reaction we are seeing now would have been pretty much the same had we signed some lower league striker that nobody had heard of.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

To put a slightly more positive spin on this - for all the talk that Portsmouth have done well, I think they've gone too far in trying to stop their stuttering form, they risk unsettling the balance. Time will tell of course.

And if we're worried Bird might not be fully invested now he's got his move ... Peterborough have done the same with Mason-Clark and he's a much more important player for them than Bird is for us currently.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah in hindsight it’s not the best look, as others have said the expectation setting by the club, whether intentional or not, has been questionable.

I’d much rather have had low expectations of a “as we continue to recover post admin we’ll be able to add to the squad but within sensible limits agreed in our business plan put to the EFL”, would probably have disappointed at the time but saved some heartache in the mid to long term of the season. 

Agreed... But might not have sold so many season tickets.

With the "entertaining football" being served up now, we may start to sell less and less tickets.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We signed CBT and Adams, aswell as extending the loan of TJJ, is that not backing the manager?

Tjj was injured nearly the whole of the first half season and we chose to keep him on. Backfired. He’s been semi backed but what is your opinion at the end of the season if we plummet out of the playoffs and finish 7th? 

17 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Last year restrictions were worse than they are now. This year we still have restrictions. 

We've signed over 10 players since the summer all of which have mentioned how the manager has convinced them to join. Yet you're saying Warne has no ability to attract players? We've just signed one of the best wingers in the league this season as we were crying out for one. Everyone saying how we need some tough midfielder to stop us getting bullied, criticizing Warne for not signing one. We've signed one.

Are you forgetting all that? Absolutely pathetic comment to say Warne can't attract players.

I'm frustrated we haven't managed to sign a striker and I hope Washington and Waghorn come back firing and ready to go. 

Who knows we might get a free in? Dwight Gayle possibly?

We have got no money at all. We've absolutely tried everything to get one in. We're fishing in a small pond so the options are not great.

To sit there and have a go at Warne for this is a joke.

If you read back I said "a shame Warne has no ability of his own, or contacts in the game, to attract players", which was shorthand for comparing him to our recent managers: Liam Rosenior, Wayne Rooney, Phillip Cocu, Frank Lampard, Gary Rowett, Steve McClaren. All of whom were well known, highly respected figures in the world of football. All of the above added something extra to the equation and could bring extra players to Derby as a result. 

In contrast, surely it's indisputable that Warne is a nobody in terms of his standing in the football world (he can't help that)? He doesn't possess the X-factor to separately bring players into the club. We have the most fans and the best training facilities in the division, and we're at the right end of the table, so of course players have signed for us. But none of these signings are surprising or special. It's not like Mason Mount coming to join Derby County, or even David McGoldrick and Conor Hourihane dropping down to League One to join us. I just wish he had more personal pull because, when we have no money as you say, that could make a big difference. I didn't "have a go" at him - I said it was "a shame".

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I am talking about the players that have been signed…

I am pretty sure Warne is walking a tightrope. The next 17+ games will be make or break for his future at the club.

Clowes might see fit to twist if we don’t have an encouraging end to the season.

Ok, apologies for misunderstanding.

I'm emotionally distraught at the moment.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

To put a slightly more positive spin on this - for all the talk that Portsmouth have done well, I think they've gone too far in trying to stop their stuttering form, they risk unsettling the balance. Time will tell of course.

They signed Regan Pole in the summer on a free.  If he hadn't torn his ACL they be top by a margin.  Absolute bargain missed.  Was sure we'd be in for him.  

I reckon Warne in his presser will mention how close we were to signing someone which will just infuriate us even more. This business plan needs shoving up someones a**e.  I’m sure a few fans agree that if we don’t go up this season then it’s time we say bye to Warne coz there is no way I’d trust him with actual money in league 1.

1 minute ago, Barney1991 said:

Tjj was injured nearly the whole of the first half season and we chose to keep him on. Backfired. He’s been semi backed but what is your opinion at the end of the season if we plummet out of the playoffs and finish 7th? 

Well thats the decision we made, just because he got injured should not mean we go out and get another person on loan. We have Waghorn and Washington to come back.

What is my opinion on what?

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Ok, apologies for misunderstanding.

I'm emotionally distraught at the moment.

No need to apologise. It’s a testing time for the club and the fanbase.

I think we just have to wait and see how the next few weeks go.

If Adams improves the midfield and Blackett Taylor finds his feet and we start to win and build momentum again, this will be forgotten about.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

They signed Regan Pole in the summer on a free.  If he hadn't torn his ACL they be top by a margin.  Absolute bargain missed.  Was sure we'd be in for him.  

He’s one I was hoping we’d sign too. There were a few very good free agents in the summer who in hindsight it looks mad we didn’t or couldn’t compete to sign.